Lots of questions (be nice please...I'm new at this!)

adamef

Several questions for some of the techies and generally.

I have an Octavia 1.6 Ambiente.

Which of the wires in the headlamp is for highbeam? Yellow, white or brown (and which is ground)?

How would I go about getting the car chipped for better performance, anyone know anyone down Sussex way?

I heard somewhere that there is something you can do to improve the output from the speakers in the back of the car to reduce distortion at low levels...what is it?

Anyone know where I can get a double-pole-double-throw relay?

Why aren't Haynes doing an Octavia manual? :D:thumbup:

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Hi Adam :wave:

o Headlamp wires - dunno but I'd guess brown is earth. Easy enough to find out with a multimeter.

o CAN you actually chip the 1.6 engine? I thought it was a N/A engine, so not much potential there...

o Disconnect the rear tweeters - pull out one of the plugs from the rear speakers as the tweeters are daisy-chained on to them. If the rear speaker itself stops working, replace the plug you just pulled and pull the other one.

o Halfords?

o Nobody knows - you'd think Haynes would have woken up to the number of em about, but seems not... :(

o See second answer above...

How would I go about getting the car chipped for better performance, anyone know anyone down Sussex way?

This is a pretty simple process...step 1 involves selling the car...step 2 involves buying one with a turbo with the money from step 1... ;)

Seriously though, chipping a 1.6 will get you gains of maybe about 8bhp...and may improve "drivability", but personally, for the money it'll cost, I don't think it would be a good investment. :)

If you do decide that you're still interested, if you have a look on Superchips website they should be able to show you a local dealer.

I heard somewhere that there is something you can do to improve the output from the speakers in the back of the car to reduce distortion at low levels...what is it?

I'm not sure there is distortion at low levels? The tweeter distorts easily, so disconnecting this might improve things. The easiest way to do this...if you look at the rear speakers in the boot, you'll notice there are two "plugs" on each speaker. Disconnecting one of these from each speaker will disconnect the rear tweeter...I can't remember which one, but it's easy enough to do by trial-and-error. The best remedy to stop distortion though is to swap out the head unit for something with a decent power output, and then change the speakers... :D

Why aren't Haynes doing an Octavia manual?

Because they're :censored: :D

Golk Mk4 manual should have a fair few similarities though, and there is one available for this.

Sorry I can't help with the other questions... :)

Rob.

talking about Haynes, i got given a leaflet from a local motor factors (Fletchers) in Brum and it has a few pages for changing the battery and clutch on the Octavia.

They never did one for the V6 Calibra either, not that it bothered me too much it's my dads motor.