Octavia 1 Fault Code

I have a 1993 PD130 estate. I bought a code reader ('U280') some time ago and have used it at every service, with no faults stored. Today the engine management light came on (although everything appears to be running perfectly normally). Connecting the U280 gives me a code '17664', but this code isn't listed in the booklet that came with the CR! I've cancelled it, but it's come back on again after about 10 mins driving, with the same code. Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried emailing the manufacturer but haven't received even a response.

I have a 1993 PD130 estate. I bought a code reader ('U280') some time ago and have used it at every service, with no faults stored. Today the engine management light came on (although everything appears to be running perfectly normally). Connecting the U280 gives me a code '17664', but this code isn't listed in the booklet that came with the CR! I've cancelled it, but it's come back on again after about 10 mins driving, with the same code. Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried emailing the manufacturer but haven't received even a response.

Look here:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/56019-list-of-fault-codes/

17664/P1256 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit (G62): Open / Short to B+

Many thanks 'Brodie'. I'll check it out. Can't think why the CR manufacturer doesn't know!? Indicated temp seems normal, at 90 deg, but I suppose the temp sensor (or its circuit) feeding the ECU may be at fault??

Many thanks 'Brodie'. I'll check it out. Can't think why the CR manufacturer doesn't know!? Indicated temp seems normal, at 90 deg, but I suppose the temp sensor (or its circuit) feeding the ECU may be at fault??

You've got it. The CTS has 2 outputs 1 to the gauge & the other to the ECU. Make sure you get the revised green CTS.

and a new o-ring for when you swap them over.

[/quote

Found one on ebay ('volksbits') for £6.39 incl clip and O ring, post free. It's described as the 'latest, green, 4-pin'. Waiting to phone them on Monday to confirm it's OK for diesel. At that price I'll change it anyway, but I'm a bit mystified that if there's only one sensor to feed both the temp gauge in the instrument panel AND the ECU then surely, if the gauge is OK it's more likely to be the wiring from the sensor to the ECU??? If I'm right, Haynes seems to suggest that there are only 2 connections to/from the sensor - 'brown' to earth, and 'purple' to a multiway plug - and there it stops! Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram, if I need it?

Incidentally, the fault code has since re-appeared, so there's definitely a prob (gauge still reads correctly, and is stable).

PS: this is the 1st true 'fault' I've ever had on this car from new (2003) - apart from renewables like discs, pads etc., and one TB change. Best car I've ever owned, by far!

Grateful for all the advice thus far.

I am not quite sure on the internals of the CTS, but it seems to have 2 circuits - one to drive the gauge on the dash and one to report to the ECU for engine management. It seems quite common that the ECU side of the CTS will fail, but to the untrained one assumes that as the gauge on the dash is correct that the ECU is also getting the correct values.

The original ones which were fitted were brown and the later ones were green. I think a proper item from a dealer is about £25. Quite a few people have been burnt with cheapo ebay CTS..... so you might want to consider your options, as cheapo one *might* be wasted money. That said I have no idea on what volksbits - looks to be a reasonable seller and has good feedback.

When it comes to swapping it. Put the o-ring on the new CTS, remove the clip and quickly remove the old CTS and o-ring and then pop the new unit in place, and secure with the clip, then in slow time disconnect the plug from the old CTS and attach to the new one. I found it quite difficult to disconnect the plug when it was in situ.

I have a 1993 PD130 estate.

I don't think the 130PD engine existed in 1993! :rofl:

Edited by mbames

I am not quite sure on the internals of the CTS, but it seems to have 2 circuits - one to drive the gauge on the dash and one to report to the ECU for engine management. It seems quite common that the ECU side of the CTS will fail, but to the untrained one assumes that as the gauge on the dash is correct that the ECU is also getting the correct values.

The original ones which were fitted were brown and the later ones were green. I think a proper item from a dealer is about £25. Quite a few people have been burnt with cheapo ebay CTS..... so you might want to consider your options, as cheapo one *might* be wasted money. That said I have no idea on what volksbits - looks to be a reasonable seller and has good feedback.

When it comes to swapping it. Put the o-ring on the new CTS, remove the clip and quickly remove the old CTS and o-ring and then pop the new unit in place, and secure with the clip, then in slow time disconnect the plug from the old CTS and attach to the new one. I found it quite difficult to disconnect the plug when it was in situ.

I don't think the 130PD engine existed in 1993! :rofl:

They didn't - but they did in 2003 (I'd like to say it was a typo, but it's probably senility!). Well spotted, that man!

They didn't - but they did in 2003 (I'd like to say it was a typo, but it's probably senility!). Well spotted, that man!

--and many thanks for the tips on replacing the CTS. I'll let you know how it goes (gonna take a chance on the ebay sourced one, though I might well regret it - we'll see). Many thanks.

• 4 months later...

Many thanks for that mbames. The warning light/code subsequently went out so I left it. Now doing a 10,000 mile service and decided to change it. Problem is I can't find it!!! What I THOUGHT was it, looks to be a fuel temp sensor cos it's in a fuel line. Where the devil is it located??? (the photograph in Haynes is no help - I can't relate it to anywhere on my engine). I have the 130PD MK1. Anyone tell me where the thing is??

I can tell you where it is on my 110TDI, you might be able to spot something similar on your 130....

cts_location.jpg

Many thanks for the image. Found it! (same place as yours). Replaced, and it seems to work OK i.e. temp gauge on dash runs up to 90 degs and stays there, and the fault hasn't re-appeared so I assume the ECU is being fed OK also. My sensor came from 'Jorily' on ebay (about £6 if I remember correctly) - so not ALL non OE spares are duff it seems!

Many thanks for the image. Found it! (same place as yours). Replaced, and it seems to work OK i.e. temp gauge on dash runs up to 90 degs and stays there, and the fault hasn't re-appeared so I assume the ECU is being fed OK also. My sensor came from 'Jorily' on ebay (about £6 if I remember correctly) - so not ALL non OE spares are duff it seems!

CORRECTION: it didn't come from 'Jorily'. I bought it from VOLKSBITS (on ebay). £6.29).