1.2 Tsi DSG High oil useage?

kibby

Having done 4.5K miles and done 3 top ups of oil (Castrol Edge 5-30W) using almost a litre of oil is this normal?

My experience, mainly with Honda's is no or very little oil between oil changes.

Put in around 300ml, 350ml and 250ml at 1700, 3500 and 4500 miles so useage appears fairly even and not all bunched in the first 1000 miles as may be more normal.

Noticed on Honest John website 'high oil useage on 1.2Tsi' is mentioned in points to watch out for.

Should I be concerned and check with dealer?

Run in as per manual and engine running very smoothly.

Haven't given it any boy racer acceleration as is sometimes suggested to bed in cylinders

using fully synthetic oil...as I don't drive like that.

What is yours using? Any advice appreciated especially from the little treasure James Rothwell?

Has he won an award..if only all Skoda dealers were that good?

Edited by kibby

Having done 4.5K miles and done 3 top ups of oil (Castrol Edge 5-30W) using almost a litre of oil is this normal?

My experience, mainly with Honda's is no or very little oil between oil changes.

Put in around 300ml, 350ml and 250ml at 1700, 3500 and 4500 miles so useage appears fairly even and not all bunched in the first 1000 miles as may be more normal.

Noticed on Honest John website 'high oil useage on 1.2Tsi' is mentioned in points to watch out for.

Haven't given it any boy racer acceleration as is sometimes suggested to bed in cylinders

What is yours using? Any advice appreciated especially from the little treasure James Rothwell?

We've done almost 3000 miles in ours, same model as you, and used no oil. I had seen a previous post from someone with high oil usage(can't remember who), so have been watching ours like a hawk, but still on maximum. Ours has had varied

usage, from 250 mile motorway journeys to short shopping trips, but it's not had any racing acceleration or been driven carefully, just our normal driving from new, which has included some 70 plus motorway trips. In fact ours has been totally trouble free, and still love it. Hope it settles down for you. Just remembered, it was lee67 who's had major problems with oil consumption, if you can track down his posts.

Edited by bohmer

My wife's 85 1.2 TSi Fabia drinks oil. Its improved since the initial 750 ml it consumed over the first 600 miles, but it remains very very poor. Much much worse than her previous 1.4 Fabia Mk1. I've lost count of the times I've topped it up.

Its strange as the motor runs really nicely.

Dealer says there is nothing he can do as there is no fault they can identify. Local VAG independent (who I trust and use a lot) confirms he has seen a limited number of VAG 1.2TSi's with high oil consumption but he also cannot pinpoint any obvious causes.

All you can do is watch the oil level. One thing I would point out is that the sump capacity is very small and if the car is not on the absolute level you can get a false reading level.

I'd planned to keep the car for a number of years (like the Mk1 Fabia before it)but I plan to get shot of it when the warranty expires. Its a real pity as the car is otherwise ideal for her indoors.

Initially, mine did use some oil, but it didn't need topping up until 3000 miles. I then decided that I should drive it to 5000 rpm one evening and since that it used no oil at all and it also ran much smoother and I have since been using my car as normal. The reason for the oil usage could be possibly because I was keeping it extremely sedate, changing at 2500 rpm at most and kept to 70 mph on the motorway.

Might worth a try?

Edited by My_Yeti

Hi Kibby

checked mine today 12k and it has only had 300ml put in from new probably about 7or8k cant remember exactly, but i do regularly push it to 4000+rpm away from junctions then drive it to get economy. the push to 4000rpm for a short time only has a very small affect on mpg, all engines need a good rev now and again.

give it a try it could be what it needs

yes indeed mines used oil like petrol since new...now nearly on 10000 miles and still using oil, dealer cant find owt wrong, and said its normal to which i disagreed, its due to go in for service soon so will see if its first service cures it, but cant see it myself, oh and car was run in as per manual...

Put about 4.5 litres of oil in mine over 20000 miles, I spoke to the dealer who located a slight oil leak which they repaired but it still used oil afterwards. Just had it's first service and after 1000 miles doesn't seem to have used any yet fingers crossed. For the record the car does get the odd revving and was run in as per the recommendations.

They do say for diesels now that you should thrash them early on and that beds in various seals etc so massively reducing oil consumption. I did that and have had no issues with oil. It may be that you need to do something similar, process of elimination as always. You don't go over the speed limit, just push the revs higher than usual before changing up a gear.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_359.pdf

I am not a automobile engineer. However, as the TSI engine cylinder to block construction is the same as the previous FSI engines. I would be concerned as to whether the cylinder ovalisation problem inherrent in the FSI has transgressed to the TSI.

The above is pdf of 1.4 TSI engine construction.

The use of synthetic oils in TSI engines negates to a large extent the bedding in of piston rings.

It has been muted in somes parts that the initial bedding in process would be better accomplished with mineral oil. However, this would void the warranty and probably not good for Turbo and thus is not practical.

Only my opinion

I don't know where on the dipstick you are keeping the oil level, but the advice in the manual - and then only if the oil level is in area B or C - is "Pour in a suitable grade of oil in portions of 0.5 litres". I note that you have been adding amounts of half that - personally I would not top up the oil if it was anywhere within A or at the top of B. I don't think it is uncommon for engines to use oil if they are kept right up to the mark, but be quite stable when slightly below. Also the manual reiterates the advice to check on a level surface, after having left it several minutes to drain back into the sump.

My XF has an electronic oil level indicator, and that indicates "Level OK" even when it is well below the maximum. So again, I would only top it up when it tells me to. Especially at £16 a litre!

Mark

The minimum mark on the stick is there for a reason - anything between min and max is perfectly fine. Too much, and it will wash out somewhere, too little and it won't be enough to ensure proper lubrication.