turbo whistle

hi guys my 05 skoda fabia vrs has a very loud whistle from the turbo when in boost and occasionly when i start it, its not loosing any power or smoking anymore than expected. should i start looking for a new turbo? iv checked pipes but defo sounds like its turbo noise any help apprecited thanks aaron

Edited by lil_azza

big issue now guys lost boost now and the wistle has turned into more of a scream!! what turbo does thge fabia vrs use? what turbos fit? a mate deals in scrap car and comes across a lot of vag cars not skodas tho, what will fit? ie t5 transporter turbo? im guessing its the turbo now? its got a bit of play in the shaft all directions any help appreciated as i need the car mid next week thanks

I feel your pain mate, mine has just gone too.

The turbo and exhaust manifold are all one piece so a transporter one might not be any good? depends on manifold positioning and stud pattern really.

Any VAG car with a ASZ/BLT engine code will be a straight swap: Polo GT TDI, Ibiza TDI FR, golf Mk4/Bora TDI (think they put the ASZ in the Passat and Touran as well). From what I've heard you want to swap for a garett unit; lots of people slating the standard KKK effort.

For piece of mind you could ring Unit 18/Turbo Dynamics/Turbo Technics and get a hybrid unit put together? Standard garrett (gt1749V) units are about £600 new, whereas Unit 18 are currently building me a 'stage 1' hybrid for just over £800, makes sense really: £200 for piece of mind, especially if you have a remap.

Edited by Medium

If your looking at ebay, this is the one (its got some part no's there too):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-MK4-Bora-1-9-TDI-ASZ-PD-130-Turbo-GT1749VA-Leon-/320684515947?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aaa49626b

I think the 1749 bit refers to the internals? So there's probably mre than the asz/blt engines running those internals, its the housing no's you might need to track down.

Don't know how much faith I'd put in a 2nd hander though, your call I guess.

Edited by Medium

ahh i see ok bud thanks. right might have found a turbo from a blt engine from a polo. will this defo fit? i know its dodgy but atm i really need the car working agen and im so pushed for cash :( would love a hybrid tho lol cheers

• 2 years later...