Replaced VRS Carpet with VW Bora one

Hi Folks, Finaly got round to doing this job.

Was getting fed up with keeping the cream VRS carpet clean so few months back started looking for a alternative.

Ended up with a Back VW Bora Carpet. There has be talk that some of the Golf floor pan cars may not fit completly leaving holes or area uncovered. I can tell you that the VW Bora is spot on with no holes showing. Even the rear seat holes are the same. So if you can not get a Black Octavia one this is a alternative.

The VW Bora does have car mat clips fixed to the front sections so you may need to consider what mats you which to fit back in or remove these clips prior to fitting.

Removing a carpet from a scrap motor is easy as you don't care about what trim you break, but removing old carpet from VRS and fitting VW Bora one i took my time.

Everything came out easy with no troubles. Apart from i ended up cutting the front part of the VRS carpet(with stanley knife) where the dash support bracket and electronic module is, as i could not remove carpet without doing that. You won't see that as centre consule is over it(did this to the VW Bora carpet to remove it also)you can see on the 3rd and 4th pic.

Also Tip: The lower centre consule section slides out towards handbrake(need to remove handbrake first) and undo and remove the centre consule side screws) So don't attempt to pull it apart like i nearly did.

Ok here is pics of all trim and bits removed ready to take carpet out.

VRSCarpetswap019.jpg

VRSCarpetswap023.jpg

Pic of old cruddy carpet removed. Can do with a clean but would come up good after.

VRSCarpetswap030.jpg

Black carpet ready to go in (see stanley cut at the front end of it)

VRSCarpetswap035.jpg

Fitted and ready for trim to go back in

VRSCarpetswap006.jpg

VRSCarpetswap007.jpg

All done except the seat plastic trim to go back on.

VRSCarpetswap014.jpg

VRSCarpetswap018.jpg

• Like 3

I Think that looks the business ! :thumbup:

Skoda definetly got it wrong when they used the awful light carpet. :thumbdown:

Have you got around to fitting the cruise control yet ?

Cheers :thumbup:

Not fitted cruise control yet that is on the list of things to do, just need to get the main loom for it.

Also have S3 steering Rack, TT Wishbones so just not enough time. :'(

Mmm

Looks ok mate. Nice and practical and I spose for a family its ideal but tbh I not keen as it detracts from the vRS.

The vRS was made wrong really for the everyday normal have a life user lol. And was really made for them with no life and real geeks. Prob why I love the fact it has white carpet, it really shows how well you look after it.

It doesn't look too bad with the vRS mats neither,

Did you take the clips off the white one so you can clip the vRS ones in?

Nice work tho. You'll enjoy doin the steerin rack and wishbones mate, try get someone to help with the rack as its a pain to do solo. I've had mine off 4 else 5 times since xmas. Mind my cars been in bits more time than on thge road this year.

When i fitted all the VRS bit into my Diesel i left the dark carpet in, not really because i thought about the colour of the RS carpet wasnt right, just mainly out of laziness lol

Mind you ive had a few RS's over the years and i used to hate cleaning the carpet

So its worked out quite nice :thumbup:

Mmm

Looks ok mate. Nice and practical and I spose for a family its ideal but tbh I not keen as it detracts from the vRS.

How can you say that buddy with a set of R32 seats in your car..... lol :giggle:

And all the other stuff you have done....

Pot calling kettle and all that...... :rofl:

The fact that the look of my car has detracted fom the std VRS, i am far past caring about the origial look of a carpet Billy mate. Keeping that white crappy carpet clean with my family is not worth the hassle and as over time the door cards and seats are going to be replaced anyway, black is the in thing for me..

yes took all clips off but will be using the VW mats probably as the drivers mat is shot..and they are like rocking horse poo to get at a good price.

Nice tidy mod Bowders,

I know when I cleaned my carpet last year with a Vax, the water was muddy brown.

Good bit of info to know, also, I think someone (cant remember who) on here fitted a Forge water hose kit for the Bora.

I remember them saying that all hoses the fitted perfectly.

Peter

looks good Bowders. what door cards fit the vrs?

only octavia ones, you can replace/retrim the centres however, thats what i did :thumbup:

No probs :yes:

they are audi s3 seats, and they are a direct fit so no messing around with frames and are so much nicer than the other vag seats i have used for comfort. They come fully eletric with lumbar support and seat heating too :)

seats were about 400, and came wih looms, i just wired them in, nice and easy to do to be honest so dont be put off!

Mark, Ill bet, I don't give lifts that much, my back seats are like new lol. Mind so are my std foronts. The R32 seats will be gettin done in the black and white the same as std. One day. That's my dream ne way and tbh I have thought of puttin std seats back but as yopu say they show dirt easy so the R32 ones are spot on as is for now. Don't look right tho but try not to think of that.

I think your car is awesome, and looks stunning. Best colour too, black is hard to keep clean and shows every mark.

I got the 2 front mats last year for 23 notes each, buit much but my fronts were buggered ne way, I've just bit the bullet and fitted them. The smell reminded me of the car as new lol. What about gettin the tailored ones off ebay with the vRS logo on?

cool, cheers oet! what seats are they? id like to fit recaro fronts from a cossie or something but I know the runners are gonna be a pain!

May not be as bad as you think. The 'wheel runners' for the Mk.4 seats provide a nice flat surface to which cross-bars can be drilled and bolted to.

You can then mount an 'normal' seat to this, retaining forward/backward movement.

I have a set of Saab electric leathers sitting in my sitting room at the mo, was tempted to fit them (they've already got a new home lined up though) ...

Dark carpet is much nicer :thumbup:

only octavia ones, you can replace/retrim the centres however, thats what i did :thumbup:

Yep agree don't think the Octy door panel is the same as any other VW. Think the material middle bit is the same as the Passat though as looked at my brothers yeterday and the Passat has the same door handle area, so that could be a option to look at.

Does your car have the black roof lining? I think the grey carpet lifts the interior although I like the dark roof lining. Good job btw :thumbup:

My roof lining is light grey as is the plastic trim from roof to door window / dash height. So does not look to bad with the seats and black carpet.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Recently changed my old carpet for a black one too. Got a brand new carpet from Germany for 340 Euros, and while I had the seats out I replaced the drivers seat foam and cover as well. Backbreaking work, but well worth it as it looks the business compared to the old setup.

post-102563-0-53341400-1369056932_thumb.jpg

post-102563-0-01180800-1369056945_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Recently changed my old carpet for a black one too. Got a brand new carpet from Germany for 340 Euros, and while I had the seats out I replaced the drivers seat foam and cover as well. Backbreaking work, but well worth it as it looks the business compared to the old setup.

340 euros.........WOW thats expensive!!! They are about £130-50ish from uk main dealers. Take it you are not in the uk as your car is lhd?

Thats correct, I'm located in Norway. As previously discussed on the forum there are two versions you can buy from Skoda, the black carrying a premium over anthracite. The latter was aprox 200 Euros from Germany.

Edited by The Troninator