Fabia vRS Estate

I've yet to see one and I'm thinking of changing. Really want something faster than my vRS, petrol and can still carry the kayak. Don't like the hatch since the bars have to be secured round the pillars which I don't like. Any ideas? I take it waiting times are still massive for new ones?

Around 8-14 weeks for an estate apparently, depending on options ordered too.

I have ordered a white one myself, looks better than the hatch imo and more practical meaning i'll keep it longer :D

I've yet to see one and I'm thinking of changing. Really want something faster than my vRS, petrol and can still carry the kayak. Don't like the hatch since the bars have to be secured round the pillars which I don't like. Any ideas? I take it waiting times are still massive for new ones?

Hi Martin,

If it's any help ordered my White VRS estate, standard apart from cruise control, on 12 Jan. It's being delivered to me on Wednesday. This was via company car lease provider, so no idea of dealer or location. Since ordering the lease companies website has given a build date of 9th May, with dealer 30th May, right up until last week when it changed to build date 9th May, with dealer now, delivery to be arranged. So from that and multiple other posts on the subject there seems to be no logical reason why 1 car arrives before any other. Not which dealer, spec, colour, or options. It appears to be luck of the draw. I'm obviously happy because mine has arrived prior to expectations, other people, particularly some poor chap in Norway I think, are very annoyed because their dates keep slipping. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Ok then. If it comes around July time I'd be happy since that's when my insurance with Swiftcover runs out and I'll need to switch insurance companies because:

1. They won't insure me on it

2. Swiftcover only give 5 years no claims

I'll pop down to my dealer to ask about options and lead times to see what they know.

Hi MartynVRS,

We've gone down the vRS estate route ourselves. Wife currently has an 08 Polo 1.4 Match due to end its PCP in a couple of months. Since buying the car we've gotten a (pretty big) dog and are now expecting our 1st child, due in about a month. Wife doesnt like massive cars but wanted something with more useful storage space, basically something she can get a pram and the dog in the back of should she have to. Also wanted something reasonably affordable and good value. Polo is also a bit gutless so wanted something with a fair bit more oomph. We've gotten by as I have a MK6 Golf company car which we use as the family holdall, have a fuel card too so makes for cheap motoring for us.

We has a look at the Ibiza ST, good car but a bit odd looking next to the hatch. Also spec and engine choice was quite limited. With the VAT deal running decided to give the Fabia a look, originally with the idea of getting a 1.2 TSi 105 DSG Elegance but the vRS came on the VAT deal just at the same time. I've hankered after a hot hatch for years and the vRS seemed to tick all the boxes, small car but big loadspace and plenty of performance. On a PCP (I assume because of its stronger forecasted future value) it worked out to have a cheaper monthly payment than the 1.2, though admittedly did add a bit of spec to the Elegance to get the spec to be entirely in line with the vRS (MFSW, MDI, Dark Glass etc). Was a no brainer for us and am particularly looking forward to having a 180ps DSG car to play around with!

For me the only real downsides with the vRS are its plasticy interior (well all Fabia's are the same - though its built well enough) and its rather firm ride. It's not terrible but shows itself up a bit on a poor road, though I gather the estate is a little more forgiving than the hatch. Also its a bit of a shame its advised to run on 98RON fuel for optimum performance though it will run just fine on 95RON. I'm also not expecting its fuel economy to be fabulous, wife does about 24 miles a day with bits of stop-start so reckon if it returns 35mpg we'll be doing well but to be fair her 1.4 Polo doesnt do any better than that with its 100ps deficit!

If you're after a cheap quick car with decent boot space and roof rails I cant see how you can go wrong, it's a fantastic niche product and cheaper and pretty much just as quick as the Octy 2.0 TSi. Just be prepared to wait along time for it, we ordered ours at the end of Jan, currently due to be built 1st week of May and with up w/c 16th May. I gather wait times on the 1.2 TSi - particularly with DSG are even worse though.

For info we went for Candy White, Dark Chrome wheels and kept options limited as its well equipped enough anyway, just parking sensors and rear elec wins.

Edited by pipsyp

Thanks guys. Went down the dealer to ask a few questions and to test drive one again. I forgot how quick they were and driving home my vRS felt like a dog. No hesitating problems with the box and changes were unbelieveably smooth. She was surprised how quickly I got used to the DSG and to be honest so was I. Handles much better than vRS. The comparison between the two is chalk and cheese. As you say it's a little bit plasticky inside but I can live with that. Roof bars for the rails were about £120 which isn't too bad and they valued my car at £4500 for September time which considering I only paid £6500 3 years ago is OK. I'll try and sell private nearer the time but it's nice to know I'm guaranteed that price for it.

I'm thinking white and black/chrome wheels. They did say I can have the roof in black by the brochure says I can't. I would like a black roof if I can get it. Tempted to get climate control and parking sensors since they're nice options to have. Thinking about getting the 3 spoke wheel too.

Are there any other options I should get? Does the standard head unit come with a USB port/lead? All my music is on a flash drive and I'll never buy an iPod so it needs to have this. Also I forgot to ask about the suspension upgrade. Sure I read on here there's a Skoda approved lowering kit. Is it an option?

Thanks guys. Went down the dealer to ask a few questions and to test drive one again. I forgot how quick they were and driving home my vRS felt like a dog. No hesitating problems with the box and changes were unbelieveably smooth. She was surprised how quickly I got used to the DSG and to be honest so was I. Handles much better than vRS. The comparison between the two is chalk and cheese. As you say it's a little bit plasticky inside but I can live with that. Roof bars for the rails were about £120 which isn't too bad and they valued my car at £4500 for September time which considering I only paid £6500 3 years ago is OK. I'll try and sell private nearer the time but it's nice to know I'm guaranteed that price for it.

I'm thinking white and black/chrome wheels. They did say I can have the roof in black by the brochure says I can't. I would like a black roof if I can get it. Tempted to get climate control and parking sensors since they're nice options to have. Thinking about getting the 3 spoke wheel too.

Are there any other options I should get? Does the standard head unit come with a USB port/lead? All my music is on a flash drive and I'll never buy an iPod so it needs to have this. Also I forgot to ask about the suspension upgrade. Sure I read on here there's a Skoda approved lowering kit. Is it an option?

Hi MartynVRS,

You cant have the black roof as a factory option on the estate, you get gloss black roof rails instead. You could go to the trouble of having it done by the dealer but I wouldnt bother personally.

Personally woudlnt bother with Climate, car comes with Climatic anyway (semi auto climate, auto regulates the temperature but has manual fan and distribution controls), admittedly not as pretty as Climatronic but just as functional. Each to their own though. Parking sensors are sensible given the cars additional length over the hatch. Car already comes with a vRS specific three spoke sports wheel. Has perforated leather and comes as standard with radio multifunction controls (on the left-hand spoke).

Car comes with MDI so will work with iPods, HDD's and a multitude of other MP3 players. Has a common interface which you have to buy device specific cables for (theres a choice of Ipod, USB and Mini USB). Is one of the better OEM media interfaces and you get full control over the device via the car head unit. You can get an einbach dealer fit spring kit I believe but I expect it will hurt the ride. I expect people will disagree with me but I dont think the vRS rides particularly well anyway.

Colour choice is A1, exactly what I've chosen. Nice to save money on metallic paint and the dark chromes are definitely the best looking wheel choice.

Edited by pipsyp

Oh one more thing does it come with a spare? I forgot to ask.

Martyn, no it doesn't come with a spare. you gan order a steel spare as an extra. Much cheaper that to buy from the dealer later.

I've ordered an estate in green with black wheels.

Good luck.

Ifor

Martyn, no it doesn't come with a spare. you gan order a steel spare as an extra. Much cheaper that to buy from the dealer later.

I've ordered an estate in green with black wheels.

Good luck.

Ifor

According to the online brochure the VRS comes with "a space saver temporary spare wheel".

According to the online brochure the VRS comes with "a space saver temporary spare wheel".

When I ordered I was told that a puncture repair kit was standard on vrs. Hence I ordered steel spare.

Can any one confirm if this is accurate.

When I ordered I was told that a puncture repair kit was standard on vrs. Hence I ordered steel spare.

Can any one confirm if this is accurate.

Hi Dolgoch

I'm 90% certain that the Jan 2011 brochure states a space saver as standard (thats when i ordered mine), can't check as the brochure is at work, and the online one certainly does (I've just checked). If you can wait my VRS estate is being delivered Wednesday and I'll update this thread then. Unless of course any current owners want to jump in before then.

Hi Dolgoch

I'm 90% certain that the Jan 2011 brochure states a space saver as standard (thats when i ordered mine), can't check as the brochure is at work, and the online one certainly does (I've just checked). If you can wait my VRS estate is being delivered Wednesday and I'll update this thread then. Unless of course any current owners want to jump in before then.

Mine has a 195/55 R 15 steel spare (came as standard but it was the showroom car). so not a space saver as such but obviously not equal to the 205/40 17. Looking at the fit, i don't think you would ever get a 17 in there.

But will a 15" wheel fit over the calipers?

good point. i anticipate it will unless you do a brake upgrade, however, best not to be complacent about it and check. I would find it little foolish to supply soething that is not up to the job, but then nothing much does surprise me these days.

vRS is the only Fabia to come with a spare wheel as standard, is a space saver.

No idea on the brake size, has quite big vented discs at front with small solid ones at the rear. When I drove one they felt more than adequate.

288mm with ATE Calipers I believe :)

Hmm.. well I'll be taking my 312's off my vRS when I trade it in so I am I right in assuming all I'd need is the 312mm disk and pads plus the 312mm carrier? I'll have to paint the carrier red to match obviously.

Then again if it's the same caliper the braking should be pretty good anyway it just has smaller disks and pads.

According to SEAT forum the chaps suggested you need the whole lot, discs, pads, calipers and carriers as its not just a case of discs and carriers as previously thought :(