Engine revs take a split second longer to drop down

I wonder if anyone can help with this mystery. Recently when I go to change gear the revs seem to take a split second longer to drop down when coming off the gas pedal. This results in a jumpy gear change if done quickly as the revs haven't had time to settle. It's very subtle but I work as a driving instructor so I am quite sensitive to any changes in the car. I thought it might just be me but a few of my pupils have noticed the change as well. Any ideas why this might be?

I wonder if anyone can help with this mystery. Recently when I go to change gear the revs seem to take a split second longer to drop down when coming off the gas pedal. This results in a jumpy gear change if done quickly as the revs haven't had time to settle. It's very subtle but I work as a driving instructor so I am quite sensitive to any changes in the car. I thought it might just be me but a few of my pupils have noticed the change as well. Any ideas why this might be?

Sticking throttle pedal perhaps?

Has anybody got any thoughts on this? When I go to change gear, especially 1st to 2nd it's like I have come off the gas pedal late so that the revs linger and don't drop down as quick. The accelerator pedal isn't sticking. Could it be a faulty throttle body? ...or something else? Any ideas would be much appreciated :wonder:

My dad's Polo 1.4TDi (basically the same engine as yours but minus a cylinder) used to do this, quite badly actually. He traded it in for a nice Volvo before getting a chance to sort it out though.

• 4 years later...