Poor Pulling!

Hi all,

New to the Octavia Vrs (2008 17,500 Miles)just had it two weeks now but starting to feel a bit odd now I am getting used to it.

it feels like i am always in the wrong gear when changing down, if the revs are below 15000 in 3rd or higher it struggles like hell. At first put it down to me but it still keeps catching me out! I am not talking about driving the car hard for this more just pottering home from work. (although when pushing on I seem to over compensate and go down too many gears!!)

Last car was a Golf 150 TDi anniversary which was also 6 speed and with less tourqe but pulled a lot better at low revs. I have tried to find some info to compare the gearing between the two cars but have not up to now.

after a bit of advice from longer time owners, do you find you have to rev it to get it to pull? how do you find they compares to other desels? are they higher geared than most???

Thanks,

Paul

I take it you have the 170PD VRS. If that is the case then they do not have a lot of go below 1800rpm especially in the higher gears. You will get used to it over time. I used to get caught out in my PD every now and then (trying to overtake when in wrong gear etc.). But when you get it right it does fly.

It was the same for me when i got my VRS , i always was in too high a gear and stalling out etc , my previous Toledo tdi sport pulled hard from a lot lower revs and i was trying to drive it the same way . 1800rpm is the magic number or put yourself in a gear lower than you thought you wanted , youll get used to it and in my case the blushes went away

Thanks all,

Yes missed that bit out it is a TD!

right so its normal then.

If I wanted to improve it what would be the best way?

More tourqe from a remap? or filter and exaush to improve breathing/lag?

Cheers,

Paul

I found it the same when i went from a golf gt tdi 130 but i'm used to it now. The golf seemed to have more low down torque. You could pull away without touching the gas but the octy deffo pulls better through the gears.

Thanks all,

Yes missed that bit out it is a TD!

right so its normal then.

If I wanted to improve it what would be the best way?

More tourqe from a remap? or filter and exaush to improve breathing/lag?

Cheers,

Paul

I had a Shark remap to try and improve the low down torque , but its no different , its logical if you think about it , no boost no torque , boost starts 1800 rpm after that the map works great