mystery problem

i ve had my 2006 fabia vrs for 2 years , great car but in the last 6 months its doing my head in. started squeeking creaking knocking. changed the wishbone bushes for powerflex , that made it worst. changed the dog bone engine mount, slight improvemnt. took this photo today as the noises and tracking keep going are making the car a nightmare to drive. any ideas ?

25042011060.jpg

25042011058.jpg

25042011057.jpg

25042011056.jpg

Is that the drop link? Theres alot of oil splatter, has the CV boot gone?

i think its the drop link, how will i know if the cv boots gone then , will that make those noises and movement ?

i did spray some duck grease on it so maybe thats in photos

Edited by proevofan

The drop links are know for knocking and failing..cheapish part around £15 and fit new nuts.

ARB drop link both ends = 40Nm (30lbf ft) Do not fully tighten top (strut) end until car is fully supported (evenly) on wheels! Always renew the nuts.

B)

EDIT:

You say that the tracking keeeps going out??? Rear bush (console) on front wishbone been changed?? These also fail and cause knocking, and could cause the tracking to go out.

Edited by fabdavrav

i changed the front wishbone rerar bush with powerfl0w , and would a burst cv make all those noises ? when its cold the car is worse , in hot weather or after driving for a while the noises go a bit. feels like when u brake it crunches forward and when u accelorate it crunchs back a bit , this has near enough stopped since changing bog mount but still there slightly ? when its cold if u push down on front wings it sounds like an old squeeky bed , any ideas as a garage will take the **** and make a wrong diagnosis like most garages do these days.

So you've changed the rear lower engine mount bush and the rear(console bush) on the front wishbone and you stil get rocking and squeeking?? If all the bolts etc done up to the correct torque settings then could be ARB bushes or drop links,(try these first)if then..

top mounts, or springs, or dampers...process of elemination I'm afraid!? :(

A lot of people miss dead shocks as a source of clunks and bangs from the front.

I've got a few clunks as well and I'm going to start with the arb bushes and console bushes to see how it goes but I don't really trust powerflex ones. I think they wear out too fast.

When its cold the car is worse , in hot weather or after driving for a while the noises go a bit. feels like when u brake it crunches forward and when u accelorate it crunchs back a bit , this has near enough stopped since changing bog mount but still there slightly ? when its cold if u push down on front wings it sounds like an old squeeky bed

My vrs se is doing what sounds like exactly the same I have only had it a couple of weeks so it is going back to the skoda dealer that I got it from today. it has 40k on the clock & the dealer changed the wishbone bushes before I picked it up. Will let you know the outcome.

My vrs se is doing what sounds like exactly the same I have only had it a couple of weeks so it is going back to the skoda dealer that I got it from today. it has 40k on the clock & the dealer changed the wishbone bushes before I picked it up. Will let you know the outcome.

i did the drop links on the wifes vrs yesterday, 15-20 minutes a side (including removing the wheel) you need a T30 bit to hold the threaded section and a 17mm spanner to undo the nut, for the vrs they were a few pence over £20 (with a 10% discount from my nice local dealer beadles at maidstone) passenger side lower joint completely shot. wife has stopped nagging about knocking over bumps.

seemed to be worse over a rippled surface, where as a duff shock seems to be worse on larger bumps

just been looking at anti roll bars and drop links on ebay , these on ebay are used but look twice as wide as mine ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/00-08-SKODA-FABIA-2x-16MM-ANTI-ROLL-BAR-BUSH-6Q0411314P-/380309046545?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item588c2f8511

on the photo of my caar you can see a lot of the bolt thread , does anyone no if this looks right or not. also someone mention cv joint or cv boot, is this an easy fit or not. i get a loud vibration sort of noise in 1st and 2nd as well , not sure if this is related or not.

thanks for all you great responses already.

Those are 16/18mm though. Isn't the vrs 21mm?

is nt that even worse though cuz mine look about 10mm, im not buying em just saw em and thought mine look like sqaushed up rather than a proper bush style. god knows the car is annoying.

I jacked the car up last night and had a look at the ARB bushes and they were certainly showing their age. So, I thought I might as well get some new ones to eliminate them. My droplinks seem to be solid enough, I was able to just turn them on the ball joints but they felt tight.

I'm just back from the skoda dealer.

I have 2 new bushes and they look tiny. I asked the parts guy if the VRS had a larger arb because the bushes look too small and he said that his sister has one and he used her chassis number to look up the parts and they matched. He said they are always a really really tight fit to get on anyway.

OK, so later when I get home I'll measure them up with vernier calipers and see what size they are and compare them to the bar size. Personally I think they might have mixed them up. I can't see them fitting. But they only cost me £6.43.

Part number was 6Q0411314R

I jacked the car up last night and had a look at the ARB bushes and they were certainly showing their age. So, I thought I might as well get some new ones to eliminate them. My droplinks seem to be solid enough, I was able to just turn them on the ball joints but they felt tight.

I'm just back from the skoda dealer.

I have 2 new bushes and they look tiny. I asked the parts guy if the VRS had a larger arb because the bushes look too small and he said that his sister has one and he used her chassis number to look up the parts and they matched. He said they are always a really really tight fit to get on anyway.

OK, so later when I get home I'll measure them up with vernier calipers and see what size they are and compare them to the bar size. Personally I think they might have mixed them up. I can't see them fitting. But they only cost me £6.43.

Part number was 6Q0411314R

Yip that's the part number i fitted 6Q0411314R

Went to collect car from dealers, problem diagnosed as one of the suspension struts needs to be replaced and had been ordered and car booked in for fitting next week, was surprised it wasn't just a worn bush. Has anyone else had to have a strut replaced?

I expect alot of people will have had struts/springs go with last winter being as bad as it was (potholes 'n all). I do a bit of work in a motor factors and sales of struts have definitely gone up.

I put the arb bushes in last night and it's definitely improved my clunks and knocks although I still have a suspicion my shocks aren't in great condition.

What size and type of socket is needed for the drive shaft nuts? I don't appear to have anything that fits?