Trade pre-registered cars from dealer/broker

Does anyone have any first hand experience of buying via this route?

I am considering it as the discounts available are quite significant - but the obvious disadvantage is that the dealer/broker holds onto the V5 for 6 months.

They are being up front about it and telling me that is the case - the car will be built to my spec (6 monthe wait) and will be sold to the dealer/broker at fleet discount rate. I guess they hold on to the V5 to stop people selling straight on and making money on the deal.

I wonder if anyone has actually gone down this route. I have read all the warnings (and reassurances) but first hand experience would be useful before I decide.

Many Thanks

I bought via this route - ordered April 2010 and delivered in August (by a 3rd party driver, very nice chap). No issues whatsoever. As you say, the V5 was kept by the broker for 6 months and sent to me in March 2011 - with the first owner recorded as their leasing company, despite me being the only real owner. As I intend keeping the car for 10 years (as I did my last one), then I don't foresee any hit on resale, so there were no downsides to this route for me.

The additional savings were not massive, around £1-1.5k over other options like DrivetheDeal, but I thought the saving was worth it for me.

I went with BuyANewCarOnline.com, however I noted that their prices did increase for the Superb a few months after I ordered, so the savings are probably not as good now.

I went down this route through Carquate. Ordered June 2010, delivered November 2010. Saving was about £3800 from list for SE170 Estate with various extras.

Like JB, car was driven to me, and I too expect to keep it for around 10 years. Six months not yet up, so don't yet have the V5.

Listen to James, look at the threads, if there are ppl waiting 6 mths for a car, do you think that a broker is going to get one on the cheap infront of a main dealer? NO, you'll just get mucked about and it will be a year before your car arrives.

Listen to James, look at the threads, if there are ppl waiting 6 mths for a car, do you think that a broker is going to get one on the cheap infront of a main dealer? NO, you'll just get mucked about and it will be a year before your car arrives.

I am in no hurry and for £4000 less than a dealer I think I will stick to my guns having read the comments above.

The cars are built to order with my options (see original post)

I think the brokers must buy them on fleet discount which is why they hang on to the V5 for 6 months to prevent a quick resale.

Sorry but £4000 is £4000! Are you a dealer too?

When I ordered in December last year, wait was six months then for a new 2.0 diesel. I used CarQuake as an online broker and then introduced leasing company. They came back with same wait time as local dealer, but then phoned back less than a week later to say that a new Elegance 4x4 estate was available immediately, they also had choice of two new DSG Elegance estates too. It wasn't my preferred colour choice, but I was happy with combination and went for the 4x4 one. Ten days later it was all delivered from supplying Skoda dealer in Oxford. About £4,600 saving over list and £2100 less than local dealer was willing to discount on a new order.

So going by last December, even with 6 month wait they are around for immediate delivery.

Steve

For those who have gone down the broker route and had their V5s held for 6 months (JB. and pcs7038) any bother getting insurance?

I have heard some insurers can be difficult.

Best Wishes

DH

When I ordered in December last year, wait was six months then for a new 2.0 diesel. I used CarQuake as an online broker and then introduced leasing company. They came back with same wait time as local dealer, but then phoned back less than a week later to say that a new Elegance 4x4 estate was available immediately, they also had choice of two new DSG Elegance estates too. It wasn't my preferred colour choice, but I was happy with combination and went for the 4x4 one. Ten days later it was all delivered from supplying Skoda dealer in Oxford. About £4,600 saving over list and £2100 less than local dealer was willing to discount on a new order.

So going by last December, even with 6 month wait they are around for immediate delivery.

Steve

Fair dues, I was just working on the logic of a dealer will get before a broker, all I can imagine is they get a cancelled order to sell on now and again.

Fair dues, I was just working on the logic of a dealer will get before a broker, all I can imagine is they get a cancelled order to sell on now and again.

If I was a Skoda dealer I would periodically order sensible combinations of trim and colour to have as stock or to trade with other dealers who are short.

Presumably dealers are able to trade these between each other, even before the car is built, if they deem it a good deal?

If I was a Skoda dealer I would periodically order sensible combinations of trim and colour to have as stock or to trade with other dealers who are short.

Presumably dealers are able to trade these between each other, even before the car is built, if they deem it a good deal?

Yes, it's called dealer exchange, I assume they still do it, I know I used to have to swap them about years ago, it's how I got hooked on an Audi 80 Sport all those years ago, and a good needle point to needle point later it was ready for it's PDi, I know it didn't do it any harm as my mate owned the very same car some ten years later and she was still a good drive even then he said.

We can't order that many Superbs for stock as the factory make retail orders a priority. Swapping cars between dealers when the cars have been consigned and arrived at retailer doesn't really happen due to the problems of getting the cars moved around but the swapping of cars that have left the factory but not yet in the UK is fairly commom.

Not many dealers would easily give up a nice spec Superb Estate at the moment.