Car Keeps Locking Itself?

Had this problem with the mk4 golf we had, basically when stationry the car will lock itself, for example, when doing the weekly shop we'll comeback to the car unlock via the remote put a couple of bags in the boot and after hearing the lock mech the alarm will start to sound turn it off the key fob and about 20 sec's later it starts again.

Anyone else had/got this problem? i seem to remember something about dry solder joints on the MK4 but i never got round to fixing it???

DaZ

I also had this problem with a MkIV Golf. I would suggest you have the fault codes read before replacing anything. We paid an independent garage to "fix" the issue and he replaced the driver's door lock first assuming it would be the most worn. That doubled the cost when it turned out to be the passenger door lock.

I suspect the boot switch is not working, this will mean that as far as the car is concerned no door has been opened. Result is that after 60 seconds the car will auto lock itself as its designed to, you need to replace the microswitch for the hatch.

I suspect the boot switch is not working.

When you open the boot do the boot interior lights come on?

I assume these are triggered using the same switch which might help to isolate the problem?

just tried and Maxidot isn't showing the boot as open when it is, also the light doesn't work so i reckon your BOTH right!! cheers fella's, anyone know what the 'microswitch' looks like and where its located?

The switches are part of the actual lock its self, and there are two of them. My mk2 never had remote central locking, but the lights never worked when i got it. Me and a mechanic friend traced it back to one of the micro switches failing.