First 4 weeks with my Superb

Disclaimer:

My Skoda is a company car and the lease is for 3 years. I have every intention of buying this car at the end of the lease so I have added enough toys to it.

My lease company is Leaseplan and they just take your order, send it to the dealer and then tell you to go speak to the dealer. The Dealer was Jewson's in Oxford. (More about them later)

Car Spec: Superb Elegance 170 DSG, Sunset glass, Hill hold control, Parking assist, MDI, iPhone and USB MDI cables, Heated windscreen, heated washer nozzles, Tow bar and electrics, Rear side airbags, KESSY, Black Magic pearl paint, 3 spoke steering wheel (with gear shift paddles (I know, I'm a child!)), electric boot operation, auto dimming rear view mirror & full size spare wheel

Story: Went and collected my Superb from the PDI site at Greenham Common. Stuart at Jewson's is shifting loads of Skoda's at the moment and he was more than happy to discuss options with me before I settled on the final line up. He also made it very easy to talk to him about the delivery date of the car which was fairly fluid and came forward quite a bit when I offered to come an collect the car. Normally for company cars they have to deliver them to the ungrateful clientele. :giggle: I want to publicly thank Stuart @ Jewson's as he was very helpful and very kind to allow me to pick it up on a weekend on my route to the M4.

So the morning came of the pickup and we got to the PDI site just after 9am. Stuart was there and so was my new Superb. Parking my BMW 320d Touring next to it was quite funny. I never thought the BMW was small until you see them side by side.

Stuart took about 30 minutes to show me round the car and how everything worked, including a demo of the parking assist. Oh boy did that freak me out the first time you sit there and let the car steer for you.

Then it was off on holiday for a week with the new car. We set off Butlins at Minehead by going out through Newbury and then along the M4, M5 and then cross country through Bridgewater.

When I filled up at the fuel station in Newbury and gave the mileage, the lady behind the counter laughed when I said "10" miles. :D (For those that have never used a fuel card, you have to give the mileage and registration each time you fill up)

I got my iPhone4 to Bluetooth pair up with the car first time and plugged it into the MDI socket. Set the Sat Nav (7 digit postcode) for Butlins and off we went.

I have to say that as a motorway monster this car is awesome. The B pillar is not in the way and the mirrors are massive. You can see EVERYTHING going on around you and this is a very good thing on our congested motorways.

The upgraded sound system works great and the sound is nice and neutral for me. The Bluetooth sounds stuff is getting a bit annoying as whenever I unlock the iPhone for anything it thinks I'm going to play music with it and the Columus unit turns off the radio and waits for the music from the iPhone. (Can I stop this happening?)

This being the first automatic car I have owned I'm still getting used to the auto gearbox and the delay in getting more power. I have to say that the DSG is very smooth and I guess any other style of auto is going to feel clunky after this.

The KESSY system is also a little strange but I'm getting used to that and it's very useful combined with the electric boot opening. Walking across the car park at B&Q the other day with arms full of stuff, opening the boot from 20 feet away so it was open by the time I got there was great. Closing it by just pressing the button is great too. By the time you have sat in the drivers seat the boot is closed and you know it's sealed shut with no slamming of the boot lid.

Back to the KESSY stuff, It's very cool to walk up to the car and just open the door, BUT there are two things that are bugging me.

1, Can I use KESSY to open all the doors if I want to? At the moment I have to open my door and then press the lock button on the inside of the door to let the wife in. I also don't want to lose the ability to open just the driver's door if I'm on my own. So before someone say, just change the door unlock options, it's not that simple.

2, Does anyone know how to pair the key to the memory seats? I've tried what it says in the manual and I can't get it to work. Anyone else got this set up and still got their sanity?

MDI, why oh why is it in the smallest part of the centre console? Is it to make it really difficult for men with real size hands to get the cable out? It's just a niggle but it's really annoying me.

Everything else I love. I really like the Themisto wheels. Easy to clean and really cool looking.

I might get time to take pictures later today and post, but it will look like everyone else's Superb ;o)

TimsterC

The bluetooth system might be cutting the radio out because you're iPhone is set to make that 'click' noise when you unlock it. For my system (3rd party, not OEM) in my Fabia I just set the phone to silent and it doesn't cut in when I unlock it as there's no sound coming from the iPhone. On silent setting, it will still cut in and ring through the car, just shouldn't cut in when you unlock it.

The bluetooth system might be cutting the radio out because you're iPhone is set to make that 'click' noise when you unlock it. For my system (3rd party, not OEM) in my Fabia I just set the phone to silent and it doesn't cut in when I unlock it as there's no sound coming from the iPhone. On silent setting, it will still cut in and ring through the car, just shouldn't cut in when you unlock it.

Thanks Clewsy, I'll try that out.

Phone me if you want me to go through how to code the key to the seats and mirrors. It is hard to explain with text as you've probably found from the manual!

Thanks James, just left a message for you to call me back when you finish handing the new car to another "Happy Driver". ;o)

Having spoken to James, I have finally got the seats to match to a key. :whew:

Process as not described very well in the manual, should read something like this.

For KESSY.

Turn on ignition but not engine.

Get seat to right position.

press and hold memory button and desired number until a chime is heard from the car

(Within the next 10 seconds)

turn off ignition

open door

press the UNLOCK button on the key.

(you should hear another chime from the car)

Repeat process for other keys and seat positions.

Having spoken to James, I have finally got the seats to match to a key. :whew:

Process as not described very well in the manual, should read something like this.

For KESSY.

Turn on ignition but not engine.

Get seat to right position.

press and hold memory button and desired number until a chime is heard from the car

(Within the next 10 seconds)

turn off ignition

open door

press the UNLOCK button on the key.

(you should hear another chime from the car)

Repeat process for other keys and seat positions.

Hi, I tried the above process, with all the chime heard, and it does work yeh!!!!

Edited by shaoi88