Help- my Superb is on fire!

Arrived home yesterday after a 75 mile round trip ( A roads/ Dual Carraigeway) As I switched the car off I noticed a smell like burning rubber, got out and checked all the tyres- all fine. My daughter and I then noticed smoke coming out of the bonnet at the windscreen end. FIre extinguisher in hand I carefully opened the bonnet, but no flames, only gentle smoke from the back of the engine and the awful smell. :whew: Soon settled down.

I have driven 500 miles in the past week from new, all fairly genlty as per manual. On searching Briskoda it looks like this is most likely a DPF regen- I have been too gentle in keeing the revs down, where I thought that speed was the critical factor for keeping DPF clear. Looks like I will need to treat the Superb like a bitch and be a bit rough every now and again, which seems to defeat the purpose of having such a refined car.:swear:

Otherwise I am delighted with the car. I ordered the 1.6CR without a test drive, it delivers extremely smooth power delivery across the entire speed range, no peaks and troughs like other diesels I have drived, no problem keeping up with traffic, and for such a large car, the engine seems more than adequate. Goodnes only knows what you guys with the 170bhp engine must feel.

Off now for another day driving between meetings and expectation of another 90 miles of comfortable stress free driving

Arrived home yesterday after a 75 mile round trip ( A roads/ Dual Carraigeway) As I switched the car off I noticed a smell like burning rubber, got out and checked all the tyres- all fine. My daughter and I then noticed smoke coming out of the bonnet at the windscreen end. FIre extinguisher in hand I carefully opened the bonnet, but no flames, only gentle smoke from the back of the engine and the awful smell. :whew: Soon settled down.

I have driven 500 miles in the past week from new, all fairly genlty as per manual. On searching Briskoda it looks like this is most likely a DPF regen- I have been too gentle in keeing the revs down, where I thought that speed was the critical factor for keeping DPF clear. Looks like I will need to treat the Superb like a bitch and be a bit rough every now and again, which seems to defeat the purpose of having such a refined car.:swear:

Otherwise I am delighted with the car. I ordered the 1.6CR without a test drive, it delivers extremely smooth power delivery across the entire speed range, no peaks and troughs like other diesels I have drived, no problem keeping up with traffic, and for such a large car, the engine seems more than adequate. Goodnes only knows what you guys with the 170bhp engine must feel.

Off now for another day driving between meetings and expectation of another 90 miles of comfortable stress free driving

I treat both my Superbs like a bitch! :rofl: I think I will get the 1.6CR Greenline 2 next time as it is now available on SE & Elegance models.

The price of fuel and the company car tax being the main reasons!!! I have heard good reports on the new 1.6CR and not so long ago (Ok 20 years) V6 3ltr engines only had about 130 BHP!

Enjoy the comfort B)

Same happened to me. You would think that the dealers would be told by Skoda to inform new customers what to expect. Enjoy the car now that you know the situation.

Goodnes only knows what you guys with the 170bhp engine must feel.

Overpowered... :) And thirsty now with price of diesel :(

I would also consider a Greenline II 1.6CR Elegance next time however I'll only go DSG so fingers crossed one will exist when I look to change.

Regards,

GT