Difficulty Removing RS Wheels

stopan1j

I had the need to remove one of my RS wheels yesterday, I was quite surprised when after removing the bolts teh wheel wouldn't budge :cry: . Not wanting to resort to force (hammer) :twisted: to try and loosen it from the hub I applied some wd40 to where the whel and hub join Result after 5 mins and a couple of applications the wheel eventually was freed with reasonable force without resorting to hammering etc. :D

This has tasked me to remove all the wheels in turn and apply copper ease to the mating surfaces - not the wheel nut theads. The car is easily jacked with the OEM jack without damage so I will take the opportunity to clean the backside of the alloy wheels and also give the green calipers a clean.

My car has done about 11,000 miles 1year old and not been driven much in salty winter or wet driving conditions - although the wheels have been washed about once per 50 miles! :?

Its probably worth checking especially as the first service could be up to 20,000miles/ 2 years.

We have exactly the same problem with our Passat ~ it's more noticeable when we take the winter steels off but the VW dealer just jacks the car up and forces the wheels off with a hammer and large bit of wood :shock: It seems to be a common problem with many of the VW group though.....

• 1 month later...

The service manager at my dealers said this is a known problem with VW group of cars....metal on metal bonding...copper based lube carefully applied sorts it no problem. Same thing happened on my Fabia....not good when you get a flat tyre.....

• 6 years later...

I have had the same trouble with my rear wheels,

I just turn them and give them as hard a yank as I dare with it elevated on the OEM sissor jack & resting on rusty axle stand! I just turn the wheel about 40 degrees and pull the top & push the bottom of the wheel until it eventually develops some play then eventually comes off.

Totally copper greased to the max now though!

Copper Grease, -its like museli for cars!

The first time I had the tyres changed the car was 3 or 4 years old and the rear wheels had never been off the car. It took two monkeys at kwik fit 15 minutes to get them off using the worlds largest comedy rubber mallet. They weren't too impressed especially as they had price matched another tyre place who were