Power Steering Problem (PAS)

For the last few days the power assisted steering has stopped working. Well, I think it's stopped working, it's hard (but not impossible) to steer at low speeds and at high speeds it's pretty normal (as you are going in a straight line, hopefully!).

Looking at the Fabia forums and a thread on Honest John, I'm filled with all sorts of expensive solution horrors. It could be the PAS pump, the alternator, the Steering Angle Sensor or just replacing the fluid (which is impossible for someone like me to do - it's under the battery I think).

Any idea where to start? There is no warnings of any sort on the dashboard, and in other threads people who have had low fluid have had a clear warning on the dash. Is there anywhere else to check for faults?

When mine started to go wrong on my Fabia it was just the control module... Take it to your local dealer they will diagnose the problem... I think the rest of the PS gear is pretty robust, don't believe everything you read on HJ, that sort of place tend to concentrate on the worst!

A few questions:

Does the power steering check light come on when you start the car? (It should be a yellow steering wheel symbol)

Have you checked the fuse for the power steering system? (It tells you in the owners manual where it is)

Are there any fluid containers in the engine bay with a steering wheel symbol on them that you can find to check the fluid level?

Is there a dealer local to you where you can have a comparison test drive of a similar spec car to see how different yours is?

Does the power steering check light come on when you start the car? (It should be a yellow steering wheel symbol)

Yes it does, guess that means it's working and passed the working test. Would it also warn you if the power steering fluid was low?

Have you checked the fuse for the power steering system? (It tells you in the owners manual where it is)

I have, thanks to your prompting, all present and correct. Must buy spares. Never thought of it before.

Are there any fluid containers in the engine bay with a steering wheel symbol on them that you can find to check the fluid level?

Not in a Roomster, most unneverving. My Focus had a clearly visible reservoir to check, but the Roomster's is apparently underneath the battery! How easy is it to pop the battery out?

Is there a dealer local to you where you can have a comparison test drive of a similar spec car to see how different yours is?

I've booked in with the sole local dealer and it's not for two weeks! So I'm having a slightly scary driving experience to look forward to.

I've booked in with the sole local dealer and it's not for two weeks! So I'm having a slightly scary driving experience to look forward to.

Things went from bad to worse, it ended up like I was steering a ship in bad sea. I literally had to haul the wheel hard with both hands on each side to turn a right angle corner!

I popped into my local garage to see if they thought it was safe to drive, and even though it was closing time they had it up on the ramp and filled up the reservoir, then pumped my tyres up! He had me under the car and showed me both seals of the steering arms were leaking so I've got it booked in for Friday.