Faulty lens HELP!

I own a Canon 40d and over the weekend have had an error message on the screen whilst using my Canon EFS 17-85 IS lens. The message is as follows :- Err 01 Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts. I have tried cleaning both the camera and lens contacts but this works for a very short period of time before the message reappears again. I have used my other lenses and the error message only happens with my 17-85 lens. Therefore, I am confident that the issue is with the lens and not the camera body.

I would really like to know if anyone else has had this issue and if so how it was resolved?

I own a Canon 40d and over the weekend have had an error message on the screen whilst using my Canon EFS 17-85 IS lens. The message is as follows :- Err 01 Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts. I have tried cleaning both the camera and lens contacts but this works for a very short period of time before the message reappears again. I have used my other lenses and the error message only happens with my 17-85 lens. Therefore, I am confident that the issue is with the lens and not the camera body.

I would really like to know if anyone else has had this issue and if so how it was resolved?

My 17-55 IS did the same, turned out it needed a new IS mechanism in it. The codes seems to be very vague.

If you've tried cleaning the contacts and there's no improvement you may need to get someone to look at the more expensive bits?

Edit: Thinking about it, I've also got an Err01 on a lens that needed new iris in it.

Edited by Mort

I had this error on a Sigma 70-200mm (with my 40D) when the iris became sticky. I repeatedly used the preview iris button to free the blades and after a while it came good again. Has been fine for well over a year now :)

have you tried switching off the IS when the error shows to see if the fault is IS related? I'd also try the preview thing, just in case it is a sticky iris

Edited by Lady Elanore

have you tried switching of the IS when the error shows to see if the fault is IS related?

Just to add: when my IS died and the lens stopped working it was regardless of whether the IS switch was on/off. So this may not be a 100% sure-fire way of knowing. But obviously if it does stop the error then it's likely the IS.

Just to add: when my IS died and the lens stopped working it was regardless of whether the IS switch was on/off. So this may not be a 100% sure-fire way of knowing. But obviously if it does stop the error then it's likely the IS.

I must admit, the IS on my 17-55mm has always struck me as pretty noisy at the best of times. It's been fine for a few years, but I wonder if it is getting louder?

I got mine 2nd hand and thought it was incredibly noisy too, all I had to compare it with was my 70-200 2.8 though (mk 1), so I assumed it was just the 'cheapness' of the 17-55.

Then it died and I had it replaced, and now it's like a mouse. I'd even say quieter than the 70-200. (I'm hoping that's because it's new rather than because my 70-200 is gonna pop on me too!)

I'm going to give Canon the benefit of the doubt and assume I got a flailing copy from someone who wanted to eBay it off before it bit the bullet. But I have seen many people on various sites moaning about the longevity of the IS in the 17-55 so I'm not too sure?

I got mine 2nd hand and thought it was incredibly noisy too, all I had to compare it with was my 70-200 2.8 though (mk 1), so I assumed it was just the 'cheapness' of the 17-55.

Then it died and I had it replaced, and now it's like a mouse. I'd even say quieter than the 70-200. (I'm hoping that's because it's new rather than because my 70-200 is gonna pop on me too!)

I'm going to give Canon the benefit of the doubt and assume I got a flailing copy from someone who wanted to eBay it off before it bit the bullet. But I have seen many people on various sites moaning about the longevity of the IS in the 17-55 so I'm not too sure?

Mine has lasted well (fingers crossed). it is a great quality lens though :)