Skoda Octavia 1.8L SLX automatic-starting probs

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has come across this before...

Tried to start the car few days ago, all dash lights came on as usual except this time the car shaped orange icon in the top centre dash was blinking. The engine started then died. I tried again, it started then died. Even if i pressed the gas pedal made no difference, it just kept dying. I left it for a few moments then tried it again, the blinking stopped and the icon stayed illuminated (as usual) and the car was fine.

This has since happened 3 times and I am getting a bit worried. I am sending it to the garage (ching!) but wondered if anyone has come across this before and would know what the orange car shaped icon represented. I do hope it's not expensive!

Thanks in advance.

Immobilisor?

Sounds like a problem I had with a Polo where the transponder in the key was not communicating with the ECU. Don't know if Skoda's have the same ring type thing on the outside of the ignition barrel

which casued the problem.

Sounds like the immobiliser. It's the only warning that includes a car symbol (a car on top a key).

If you have another key then try that. It could be a problem with the loom to the cluster, the immo reader coil as described by lumac999 or it could even be the cluster.

hmm, I have a spare key but it is just the blade. I recently had a sensor-alarm system put in. I had the alarm bell disconnected but the immobiliser connected so i wouldn't wake the neighbours if it went off. I wonder if it could be that. If so, the garage wont be able to disconnect it they will probably wanna bring in an electrician....ching ching!!

It does sound like it could be the immobilizer now I think of it, well done peeps.

Any other ideas or are we all in agreement?

What about a spare remote, would that help or are we talking spare key?

Edited by ha33y

Thanks bazaa, have checked it out, seems like it could be a few different things and again pin-pointing it could get rather expensive. Anyhow It's going into the garage tomorrow, I wonder what they will say.....I do hope it is found quickly and doesn't cost me the Earth.

Well just heard from the garage who said that the ECU has reported that it is definitely an immobiliser fault and they cannot touch it, they said it is VW only who can sort it. BAD NEWS I don't have that sort of money. Anyone in the North London area who recons they can sort this out for me without ripping my pocket to shreds?

My second problem is that I am travelling with the family to Cornwall this weekend and am scared stiff whether or not this will leave me on the motorway.....damn, this is bad timing.

Well just heard from the garage who said that the ECU has reported that it is definitely an immobiliser fault and they cannot touch it, they said it is VW only who can sort it. BAD NEWS I don't have that sort of money. Anyone in the North London area who recons they can sort this out for me without ripping my pocket to shreds?

My second problem is that I am travelling with the family to Cornwall this weekend and am scared stiff whether or not this will leave me on the motorway.....damn, this is bad timing.

The question is not whether or not it is an immo fault, it is what is stopping the system from working.

If the loom has a broken wire (cheap and most likely cause given the age of the car) or the immo coil (cheap) is faulty, then the cluster cannot read the immo chip in the key. Any mechanic can replace these two items.

If it is the cluster (expensive) itself, then I would PM shark_90 who will be able to help. The only problem here is time, as you are going on holiday.

The question is not whether or not it is an immo fault, it is what is stopping the system from working.

If the loom has a broken wire (cheap and most likely cause given the age of the car) or the immo coil (cheap) is faulty, then the cluster cannot read the immo chip in the key. Any mechanic can replace these two items.

If it is the cluster (expensive) itself, then I would PM shark_90 who will be able to help. The only problem here is time, as you are going on holiday.

Yeah, that's why this is such bad timing. Well thing is, it doesn't do it all the time and they are the worse kind of probs to find. It happened again about 15 mins ago when i got in the car to come home and I turned the key to get the dash lights, when i see the car icon flashing, i know it hasn't seen the key, cause this icon should be illuminated till the car starts then go out, so if it flashes, it ain't seen the key. This time I took the key out then re-inserted it and it saw it, so i can't help feeling it may be the key? I will just have to risk going to Cornwall at the weekend as i ain't found no one to check it out. Hopefully it will be ok. When I get back next week perhaps if someone on here is near Barnet North London and fancies checking it out for me and can sort it (not too expensively) i would be very appreciative.

Thanks

Yeah, that's why this is such bad timing. Well thing is, it doesn't do it all the time and they are the worse kind of probs to find. It happened again about 15 mins ago when i got in the car to come home and I turned the key to get the dash lights, when i see the car icon flashing, i know it hasn't seen the key, cause this icon should be illuminated till the car starts then go out, so if it flashes, it ain't seen the key. This time I took the key out then re-inserted it and it saw it, so i can't help feeling it may be the key? I will just have to risk going to Cornwall at the weekend as i ain't found no one to check it out. Hopefully it will be ok. When I get back next week perhaps if someone on here is near Barnet North London and fancies checking it out for me and can sort it (not too expensively) i would be very appreciative.

Thanks

Hi mate did the garage give you any diagnostic code/s when they checked it for you .does it make a difference which way your key is inserted in the ignition the transponder is not central in the key just wondering if there is a weak spot in the coils range .also i dont think it will let you down on the motorway it should only check for the immo code whilst starting for safety reasons but could always play you up at the services if you turn the car off again.

Bazaa

Edited by bazaa

Hi Bazzaa,

no code just says..."Fault code logged for control unit locked/ key information incorrect"

Haven't noticed whether it makes a difference which way the key is inserted to be honest.

Thanks mate, I appreciate your input.

Edited by ha33y

That's been dead since i bought the car and only serves to power the small light on the side of the keyfob as far as i know, but it won't do any harm,i will do that today too, thanks for the suggestion Ken :yes: