Picked up new Yeti Today

Gnasher

The reasons are well written in the small leaflet that the VAG group have had available in their showrooms since at least 2008. I had a 2008 PD170 Leon FR and drive 5 miles to work each way and never had a light on (I drove the car rather than plodded), but many many people have had issues. It's well reported on many forums.

The system requires heat to be generated in the exhaust system. The fact the your engine is at normal temperature will alone not keep the DPF clear.

It's not a criticism, just a fact that even the VAG group have acknowledged.

I think alot of those issues with the DPF are mostly related to the PD engines. VAG seems to have rectified the issues with the CR diesels.

Off topic here, but being in these gears at these speeds is the fastest way to turn on a DPF warning light.

Seeing as those figures quoted by me are in 'D' there should be no problem as it is only doing what Skoda/VW designed it to do ........or are you saying they are wrong?

As mentioned above the CR diesels don't seem to have the problems that the PD engines had which were not originally designed to be used with DPF's.

I think that a 48 mile journey each way to work generates more heat than just being "at normal temperature".

I have been running cars with DPF's for 8 years now and have never had a problem with them, and there are people here who commute through London in Yeti diesels who are likewise. Comparing the system now fitted to that in an old scheme PD engine is not really fair.

I agree, 48 miles is a good commute. If the CR engine is generating less soot then great. Maybe the new fuel system is responsible for that??. I was just reiterating what was once a real problem for them. I'll look forward to not having that issue when it eventually arrives!

The gear change indicator is forever telling me to change up into 5th or 6th when to do so would cause the engine revs to drop to almost idling. There is no power at these sort of engine speeds and you would need to change down again almost straight away. Even worse the engine is labouring which cannot do it any good. I just change gear when it feels right.

Andy

I've just taken delivery of my Yeti 170 Elegance 6 speed manual and am wondering if I have a display fault. When driving away from the dealer I noticed the occasional instruction to change gear on the maxidot display. Now all it does is display the gear I am in and even when driving in a low gear with excessive high or low revs I get no instruction to change gear. Is this a fault or have I deleted an option ??

I've just taken delivery of my Yeti 170 Elegance 6 speed manual and am wondering if I have a display fault. When driving away from the dealer I noticed the occasional instruction to change gear on the maxidot display. Now all it does is display the gear I am in and even when driving in a low gear with excessive high or low revs I get no instruction to change gear. Is this a fault or have I deleted an option ??

Mine is similar except it doesn't always display the currently selected gear. However, as I drive to the "live" MPG figure in the Maxidot I tend to ignore it. I don't want my car thinking it knows better than me. :devil:

Fred

Mine is similar except it doesn't always display the currently selected gear. However, as I drive to the "live" MPG figure in the Maxidot I tend to ignore it. I don't want my car thinking it knows better than me. :devil:

Fred

I've been driving around a bit more now and find the gear change indicator is intuitive. If I am doddering along it will encourage me to change - though I find I usually want to change sooner in those circumstances. However I experimented and drove in a sporty fashion using quite high revs per gear (for me) and the indicator would not come on at all. It seems that it knows that when you drive like that then there is little point telling you that you need to change gear and leaves you alone. I drove like this to test if the system was working and initially came to a wrong conclusion that it was not working at all.

On my 110 4x4 it's always telling me to change up before I feel she's ready, mind also been told to change down a couple of times; so quite you forget what gear your in :giggle:

TP

I have just completed one week with my new Yeti, I learnt to ignore the Maxidot Gear selection recommendation after one day. The engine (170 4x4) seems to be labouring every time I change up - I don't think that is a good thing for a new engine.

On the Alfa MiTo I had as a courtesy car, if I was in Normal mode, it told me when to change gear, but it doesn't if you are in Dynamic mode, which was a little like having a factory installed remap at the touch of a switchemoticon-0140-rofl.gif Needless to say I hardly drove it in normal.......and used 3rd at 30mph, 4th at 40mph generally.

I did stall it once by mistake and when I put the clutch in it started it self, but I was confused and turned it off as it started and restarted as you would normally.....So I deliberately stalled the car just to check what had happened......and as soon as I pushed in the clutch it restarted. It was equipped with start stop technology. Quite impressive really.

• 2 weeks later...

On the Alfa MiTo I had as a courtesy car, if I was in Normal mode, it told me when to change gear, but it doesn't if you are in Dynamic mode, which was a little like having a factory installed remap at the touch of a switchemoticon-0140-rofl.gif Needless to say I hardly drove it in normal.......and used 3rd at 30mph, 4th at 40mph generally.

That's how I was driving the demo 170 yesterday - it didn't feel that comfortable if I used 4th below 30mph, nor 5th below 40mph.

My previous car had a 6 speed gearbox (it was VW), because the gears were so close together I got into the habit of jumping gears.

Driving a demo 170 yesterday I found myself going from 4th to 6th when accelerating briskly through the box - there really didn't seem to be any need to use 5th in that circumstance. If I were following somebody going gently up to 60 then I probably would use 5th but, amazingly, there was hardly anybody in front of me on the demo drive! I even managed to slow to 10mph on the A24 with nobody anywhere behind or in front so I could give it a bootful and see how it went. It went very well :)

Coming into roundabouts I found 6th to 3rd was the natural choice. The box was very slick and easy to use and there was none of the let-up-the-clutch-and-work-out-what-gear-you're-in you sometimes get with an unfamiliar car.