Leaking when heavy rain

Driving a Superb Combi 1.8TSI and recently notice that there is water leaking into the car near the accelerator and bonnet level whenever there is a heavy rain. Anybody have the same problem or remedy or cause of the leak?

It would be very worthwhile taking photo's the next time this happens as VAG cars are notorious for water ingress and VAG then go on to deny all knowledge of the issue.:doh:

Personally I have not noticed any water ingress, but whilst I was doing a VCDS scan (and it was raining) I did hear some water tricking from the passenger side footwell (which would be the drivers side on a LHD car) the carpets were however bone dry and no trace of dampness could be found, so I wondered if it could of been water draining out of the door?

Hi!

If you search the forum you will eventually find that some of this leaking issues may have their origin from a faulty fastened front window. Now I'm not saying that your car have this fault but it could be a starting point for your investigation. The water has to come from somewhere... :'(

/Superbjoser

Hi SuperbRennie!

I've heard about a similar problem being caused by stuck drains coming from the sunroof. I don't know if your Superb has sunroof or not, but just in case, I am including a translation (google) from a topic in a Spanish VW forum: Water leaking problem in Skoda Octavia

Translation:

"Since I have the car back and they told me that the problem came from the sunroof, the roof has two drains down to the gates and dirt had stuck, getting water on the floor of the driver and passenger. Seats removed and dismantled all the carpet to dry (which I saw and almost gives me something when I saw the whole interior of my car at the plate, not see if they pass cables around) In total 6 car-free days and 225 €, in Skoda official home. I hope it is solved and no more problems.

Not a bad idea to check from time to time all the drainage of the car and if you have a sunroof, fixed once the roof is open, the two air outlets and put him under pressure to flush any dirt you have, if you meteis air, for example, ought first to drain left open the left door (the driver) and check out the air by a black tube that is in the hinge side of the door. Greetings"

I hope this helps you.

Regards

/ecejmpe

Hi SuperbRennie!

I've heard about a similar problem being caused by stuck drains coming from the sunroof. I don't know if your Superb has sunroof or not, but just in case, I am including a translation (google) from a topic in a Spanish VW forum: Water leaking problem in Skoda Octavia

Translation:

"Since I have the car back and they told me that the problem came from the sunroof, the roof has two drains down to the gates and dirt had stuck, getting water on the floor of the driver and passenger. Seats removed and dismantled all the carpet to dry (which I saw and almost gives me something when I saw the whole interior of my car at the plate, not see if they pass cables around) In total 6 car-free days and 225 €, in Skoda official home. I hope it is solved and no more problems.

Not a bad idea to check from time to time all the drainage of the car and if you have a sunroof, fixed once the roof is open, the two air outlets and put him under pressure to flush any dirt you have, if you meteis air, for example, ought first to drain left open the left door (the driver) and check out the air by a black tube that is in the hinge side of the door. Greetings"

I hope this helps you.

Regards

/ecejmpe

Thanks for the translation, will check the 'drain' for the sunroof.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks All for the advise.

Just gotten back the car from the Agent's workshop and as "ecejmpe" has mentioned, the cause of the leak is due to 'collapsed' or crushed drain hose from the Moon Roof. According to the Service guy, this problem occurs during assembly of the roof lining. There is a metal holder which could crush the drain hose when the 'robot' install the roofing on the car.

They have since repaired the hose and hopefully no more leaking.

Thanks All for the advise.

Just gotten back the car from the Agent's workshop and as "ecejmpe" has mentioned, the cause of the leak is due to 'collapsed' or crushed drain hose from the Moon Roof. According to the Service guy, this problem occurs during assembly of the roof lining. There is a metal holder which could crush the drain hose when the 'robot' install the roofing on the car.

They have since repaired the hose and hopefully no more leaking.

:thumbup:

Hi SuperbRennie,

Are you living in Singapore? I have the same issue but happened at the front passenger foot well. For my case, it took 2 visit to the dealer to uncover the problem. The is a drain hose running along the A pillar which drain the rain water from the sunroof might be pinched. Do ask the dealer to check that portion. Cheers.

Hi SuperbRennie,

Are you living in Singapore? I have the same issue but happened at the front passenger foot well. For my case, it took 2 visit to the dealer to uncover the problem. The is a drain hose running along the A pillar which drain the rain water from the sunroof might be pinched. Do ask the dealer to check that portion. Cheers.

Hi Fightingdad.....yes, me from Singapore....have sent my car to Harvest at Ubi and they have done the repair...the hose was pinched....all is much better now, but still slight leaking at the left side...plan to go back there again