Owners of 2.0 ltr common rail

My friend owns a Skoda workshop. He says all the models all the 2.0 diesel CR or PD are affected by the bad design. They have a lot of broken engines.. Believe it or not :-)

My friend owns a Skoda workshop. He says all the models all the 2.0 diesel CR or PD are affected by the bad design. They have a lot of broken engines.. Believe it or not :-)

You have what I used to have, a 2 ltr 130 PD Octavia, which I part exchanged when it was 7 years old, as is yours. Mine had done only a low mileage but gave no trouble and I assume neither has yours. When prior to that and I had a VW diesel Estate I was told it is common knowledge in the s/hand trade, one third of VW diesel engines blow up at circa 75 to 85,000 miles so I got rid of mine at 67,000 miles to a friend and it went on to approx 120,000 or thereabouts before it suffered that fate, a s/hand engine was fitted which immediately did the same, so the car was got rid of. Skoda said when I had the Octavia Estate the cam belt has to be replaced at 4 years of age and not 5 as shown in Service Manuals, due to breakdowns at the earlier age.

The whole thread is a mooey, VAG identified the pump issue in 2006, since then it's been modded, the CR engine is a different animal, and you should take no notice unless you have a 2.0 Superb 1 model, the thread imo is here to put ppl off buying a VAG car, there is no pump problem with a CR engine, the PD in the Superb 2 is the same one VW put in the Passat back in 2007, do you honestly think they would fit an engine they know is no good in 2008 when it failed in 2006?

I don't think the OP knows the difference myself.

So, remember, all Superb 2 cars are gonna oil pump fail, but only if you live in Malta :moon:

Edited by Supurbia

The whole thread is a mooey, VAG identified the pump issue in 2006, since then it's been modded, the CR engine is a different animal, and you should take no notice unless you have a 2.0 Superb 1 model, the thread imo is here to put ppl off buying a VAG car, there is no pump problem with a CR engine, the PD in the Superb 2 is the same one VW put in the Passat back in 2007, do you honestly think they would fit an engine they know is no good in 2008 when it failed in 2006?

So, remember, all Superb 2 cars are gonna oil pump fail, but only if you live in Malta :moon:

+1

I just didn't have the guts to say it first...!

Searching the web there's stories about failed oil pumps going back to 2006/2007 on Passats. I'm afraid I just don't see why Skoda/VAG would continue to sell engines with a known fault, especially where the issue appears to be so easily resolved (waiting for the "to make more money" responses).

All sounds a bit like scaremongering to me I'm afraid, but that's only my opinion...

I have a question. The wear affects only the shaft or the shaft and the pump side of the story. Because if it's only the shaft, i'm already looking into finding a metal working firm for making shafts from superior steel, heat treated for strenghtning and everything. But if the problem affects the part of the oil pump in wich the shaft enters, then we really have a problem.

If it's only the shaft, then is somehow solvable.

+1

Searching the web there's stories about failed oil pumps going back to 2006/2007 on Passats. I'm afraid I just don't see why Skoda/VAG would continue to sell engines with a known fault, especially where the issue appears to be so easily resolved (waiting for the "to make more money" responses).

All sounds a bit like scaremongering to me I'm afraid, but that's only my opinion...

+2

Commonrails are to my knowledge not affected. Its only some 2.0TDI-PD engines between 2005 and 2008 that is, like engine code BLB. The affected engines can be recognized on the chain driven oil pump. All 2.0TDI-CR has gear driven duocentric oil pump.

In doubt CR engines can be recognized on 4 digit engine codes, PD engines is 3 digit.

All 1.9 TDI's is to my knowledge also gear driven and is not affected.

Edited by i-s

+1

+2

And now unsubscribing from this thread as it is going nowhere and it is clear new engines like mine are not affected. So see no point going on like this about VAG quality being dubious. Which it ain't.

As I too have a Skoda Superb combi 2.0 cr170, with a CBB engine number I was worried that it might suffer the same problem, so I contacted Skoda Ireland, and here is part of the reply that I was given, which seems to cast doubt on the original post :

"We would like to advise that we are not familiar with an issue with the oil pump in the Skoda Superb or in fact any of our models. We are unable to comment on posts on internet forums but would say from our experience these type of posts are normally for a small percentage of customers who may have experienced a particular concern. The Manufacturer is constantly carrying out quality checks through looking at warranty claims and technical reports from the dealer network. Based on this information there is not a common fault with regards the oil pump drive pin."

This was followed up by, :

"Correctly, after the warranty has expired there is no right for further coverage. However, we would like to advise that Skoda do operate a goodwill policy whereby a Skoda dealer can make representation to the Manufacturer for goodwill on any particular issue outside the warranty period. These goodwill applications are considered on an individual case by case basis and there is no guarantee of support. We hope this offers you some peace of mind in that there is still possible coverage on any issue outside the warranty period".

Now I have to say that I have no reason whatsoever to doubt Skoda Ireland in their reply, and cannot imagine someone from their Customer Care team, putting the above in writing,(on e-mail), if there is a known fault, as it would be a great help to me , if I or anyone else had to take any legal action in the future.

I alos noticed in this topic, that no one from the UK or Ireland, seem to have suffered this problem with their cars, just that we are all concerned that it "might happen", based on the experiences of Skodas sold in Malta.

I dont have anything against skoda and their vehicles, namely the octavia and superb mk 1 and mk 2 models. I just felt my wife and i were making a good purchase when we bought our superb mk 1 2.0tdi brand new from our local skoda dealership. 3 yrs down the line and only 38k miles on the clock there was no reason for anything to happen, until my wife called to say the oil pressure warning light came on.She was doing local driving and broke down 3miles from home. Of course now that other owners have mentioned problems with their oil pumps on their 2.0 tdi engines it suddenly becomes apparent that their is an issue with these engines.

Now had all the information been available online 3yrs ago, then i probably wouldnt have bought the car, and gone for an Octavia instead, but there was nothing to indicate that there was a problem with the engine and the lubrication fault. My gripe is, that diesel engines are supposed to be long lived, and if serviced regualrly will give reliable service and high mileages. So when our engine died and the associated problems that happen with oil starvation you can understand why we were justafiably annoyed that a well known motor company who makes millions of cars a year cant even make a reliable engine to power certain models in their range of cars. And as for goodwill, they dont even take into account that my wife and i purchased previous new vehicles from our local skoda dealership. I was hoping for a minimum of 50% goodwill maybe more, but to be offered only 10% goddwill was basically a kick in the teeth and a joke. Just shows what suk think of their customers.

As for the superb mk 2 greenline, which we are driving at present, the car is performing faultlessly,and will be missed when we come to hand it back and move onto a different manufacturer.

I dont discourage you to change manufacturers, but i can say from talking with people around me that any manufacturer has it's own set of problems. Peugeot are known to make excelent design, great motors and gearcases. But all electrics are nightmare, buttons will stop working or fall from places, plastics are medium quality and they squeaq as hell. Citroen , great at inventig things (i saw the first cornering sistem on Citoren), somehow the cars tend to broke often. I have a friend with Merc ML (100 000 E car). Every 3 months she is in service for electric problems. US build car, "europeanized" in Viena, still has climatronic in Farenheit, DVD only works with US code DVD's (we can't do enything about this " was the response of the general manager Mercedes Viena). If you read the BMW forum, you will descover all the problems that they have. Opel, even that they had invested a lot and raise the quality level in the last decade, they still have problems (read opel forums).

[in eastern contries you can add this. Highways come in small quantities, the other roads are mostly ok, city roads are...let's say "bumpy". in this conditions, everything regarding drivetrain can be considered as consumables. That's why Octavia 1 with heavy roads pack had a huge succes, beacause you had to change bushings at 100 000 km (60 000 miles). In Ford, Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, you had to start changing bushings and dumpers at 15 000 - 25 000 miles. So Skoda created a good name in reliability. ]

In RO we had some cases like your's, but the guys (cars bought and serviced only at skoda) recieved this deal : skoda gave the spare parts for free and they payed the rebuilding of the engine.

• Like 1

+1 !!!

The hysteria around this issue is getting seriously out of hand. There have been cross posts from this thread onto the Octavia and Yeti forums over this which has started all sorts of hares running.

On the Octavia forum I pointed out that no owners have actually reported any issues on either this or any other VAG forum that I could find at the time(do a quick Google search).

A guy on the Octavia forum who works for TPS also claims he has sold 40 of the hex oil pump drives over the last 12 months for the BMP/CBBB/CFGB/CFFB engines.

But again there seem to be no actual owners reporting issues with oil pumps. So what is going on here?

The pump issue with Mk1 PD Superbs (and B6 Passats) is well known and understood. So is the poor Skoda/Vag response to it as other forum members can testify.

But can we please have some HARD evidence from owners that a problem exists either with LATER PD or current CR engines in repect of their oil pumps. In the absence of that I tend agree that this thread is mooey.

I would also suggest that the oil pump issue on PD and CR engines is pinned by the mods. The subject keeps coming up with increaing frequency so lets keep it all in one central place where all can view it.

Edited by Minimoke

I just felt my wife and i were making a good purchase when we bought our superb mk 1 2.0tdi brand new from our local skoda dealership. 3 yrs down the line and only 38k miles on the clock there was no reason for anything to happen, until my wife called to say the oil pressure warning light came on...And as for goodwill, they dont even take into account that my wife and i purchased previous new vehicles from our local skoda dealership. I was hoping for a minimum of 50% goodwill maybe more, but to be offered only 10% goddwill was basically a kick in the teeth and a joke. Just shows what suk think of their customers.

I know it's a bit late now, and hopefully me saying this isn't like a kick in the teeth, but if you were willing to destroy any good will that existed between yourself and the supplying dealership, you could have leant on them to foot the vast majority of the repair bill under the Sales of Goods Act, as the oil pump failed to function for a reasonable amount of time before breaking (that would be a minimum of 100,000m for any of the critical engine components), and thus was inherently faulty. A bit different, but my relatives managed to get a paintwork defect on their 5 year old car repaired this way FoC (complete panel respray), after initially being told there was no warranty on the paintwork.

Like I said, hopefully not a kick in the teeth me saying it, as hopefully it might help later on in life? :)

The dealer Andy deals with is a total hard ass when it comes to getting anything done, I agree with you though I would've sued all of them dealer, manufacturer and old Tom Cobbly an all, but just like SUK they give you the brush off unless you push them to the courts, he didn't want to do this though, but as for destroying goodwill, they don't have any and there's nothing to lose imo.

Well as supurbia stated, i did have a battle not just with the dealer, but also suk. Now all i was trying to point out to them was that the car although a touch over the 3yr limit, well one would expect it last 3yrs wouldnt you?? and as for the mileage warranty of 60k miles, well my argument was that it didnt even reach that magic number !! So you can see my point of view when i tried to get the car sorted out with some goodwill...but SUK were'nt interested, even after proof of servicing and genuine parts were used they still wouldnt up the offer of goodwill.Now i tried the sales of good act with suk and they simply brushed it aside, sticking to their rule book of 3yrs or 60k miles, whichever is the sooner, and they simply wont budge.And for them so say take my car to my local dealer who i dont think would be capable of doing the work required, and expecting me to shell out for a minimum of a few k's was simply not on.So i declined their offer and told them politely in not so many words to get lost.

So for all you 2.0 tdi mk1 superb owners, either get a really good warranty, or get shot of it, as i wouldnt like you to go through the hassle i went through.

Yes, get a good warranty as Skodanut says, I've been talking to a former 56 plate 2.0 Elegance owner recently, he had the oil pump fail @ 75k, then the dpf fluid needed topping up, and now he's shot of it I asked why, head gasket went, took 2nd turbo and 3 other main component's with it, or in his words DEAD.

• 4 years later...

Reading few times all posts regarding the issue ,i haven't seen the CFHC engine mentioned anywhere.Therefore my concern is if it's among the affected ones.I will be very grateful if anyone of you is able to give me the light about it.My car is Octavia Scout 2011(CFHC engine-the same build in Yeti).Cheers:)

Edited by zar