1.2tsi or 110tdi

wakev

rockhopper (Mike) asked in my thread the yetis home which engine i thought was best, so after a play in the 110 today down to the coast and back around 150miles i thought i would post my impression of both.

To start with the 1.2 which swnbo and myself loved and had done 12500miles before its replacement with the 110 4x4, very free revving enough power to move the yeti around, it has been said on a few occasions that the 1.2 is working to hard to give good mpg but i found it to give a fair mpg, and never at any time did it give any impression that it was to small for the yeti, linked to the 6speed gearbox it gave a good feel for everyday driving and overtaking on motorway and A and B roads.

The 1.2 has a small turbo lag but found you soon get to work the engine around this, from standstill you soon go through it and after that the 6 speed gearbox gives you the option to drive with the revs just above the small lag area. I would say that bolted to a 7speed DSG would give a lively and good feel.

Now the 110 2lt TDI, I know i have only done a few miles in the short time it been at its new home but i like it. It has no turbo lag and is very willing to go from standstill, having been on M A and B roads today I had all the good and bad things you can encounter on the good old British road network motorway speeds, twisty back roads, and of coarse the town traffic jam (Mike will know all about that one :giggle:). This engine just takes it all in its stride, on the motorway 6th all the way speed ranging from 45 to 70mph depending on the flow, overtaking just give it more throttle and away you go.

around town i found it required a lot less gear changes than the 1.2 and was very smooth for going with the flow of traffic, twisty B roads again less gear changes, that little extra power and torque goes a long way and is not consumed by the 4x4. and the MPG is better than i ever thought it would be.

So IMHO if you are on the border line on thinking 1.2 or 110, the 110 is the way to go be it 2x4 or 4x4

Just my opinion though others may say different :giggle:

Nice comparison, thanks! I have only driven the 170 TDI and I quite like that, but as I mainly do town driving (2 miles one way) and one long motoway journey every 2-3 months, I don't think it would be good for the DMF.

Enjoy the new car!!

PS. Any noise difference? (not engine, but road noise etc.)

Edited by My_Yeti

Nice comparison, thanks! I have only driven the 170 TDI and I quite like that, but as I mainly do town driving (2 miles one way) and one long motoway journey every 2-3 months, I don't think it would be good for the DMF.

Enjoy the new car!!

Hi forgot to say about noise difference, the 110 has a little more engine noise but nothing to worry about, when you get up to speed you tend not hear it.

as for road noise, I'm running Goodyear all season tyres which are as quite as the Dunlop Sp sports that where fitted to my 1.2.

so a very peaceful drive in both.

Enjoy the new car!!

Thanks Kevin. Another great comparison. has the 1.2 gone back yet or have you decided to keep it? emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I do drive around South London but generally I'm driving for 20 minutes to an hour at a time, even if it is is South London, or occasionally West London gridlock traffic.emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I'm not worried about the DPF, and since the first 2000 miles I have not noticed the car do a regen cycle, and well over half of those first 2000 miles were on the motorway going up to Scotland in the snow and iceemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

Thanks Kevin. Another great comparison. has the 1.2 gone back yet or have you decided to keep it? emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I do drive around South London but generally I'm driving for 20 minutes to an hour at a time, even if it is is South London, or occasionally West London gridlock traffic.emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I'm not worried about the DPF, and since the first 2000 miles I have not noticed the car do a regen cycle, and well over half of those first 2000 miles were on the motorway going up to Scotland in the snow and iceemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

Hi mike

my old 1.2 is on the dealers web site now, my buget will not quite run to being a 2 yeti family :giggle:My link

Hi forgot to say about noise difference, the 110 has a little more engine noise but nothing to worry about, when you get up to speed you tend not hear it.

as for road noise, I'm running Goodyear all season tyres which are as quite as the Dunlop Sp sports that where fitted to my 1.2.

so a very peaceful drive in both.

Brilliant! Enjoy the new car and new found "torque"!

Hi mike

my old 1.2 is on the dealers web site now, my buget will not quite run to being a 2 yeti family :giggle:My link

Ah Ewhurst!

I worked there a number of moons ago! I like the area around there neck of the woods.