Quick ARB bush question

It does it when I bounce the car on the drive, when driving without turning the wheel, when turning the wheel at any speed and is present all the time. It only appears to be the nearside that's making the noise, but that means nothing. I've learned the hard way that sounds can be deceptive and can come from a totally different place to where you think. I'll be doing both sides though, so whichever it is, hopefully it will be sorted.

Mind you, I'm prepared that it won't be that after all and I'll be chasing the sound all summer to find the one component that is causing so much noise. :D

Awesome list the part number (that the poly bushes replace) as 1JO 411 314 R but the DIY section at the top of the Octy section has two other part numbers. Are these the right ones?

Awesome

EDIT: oops wrong link, that was for drop links.

try this

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced mine this weekend with these...

ARB bushes

and

Clamps

No creaking so far and the steering seems more precise and confident.

I recon it’s the plastic sleeves, which are now in the bin, that cause the squeaking. Offside one disintegrated when I removed the old bush, nearside one needed a bit more persuasion ;)

I’ll echo sparky2’s comments about needing to raise the driveshaft for better access.

The only problem I had was not being able to use the torque wrench on the ARB clamp bolts due to lack of space.

Yes it's definitely the old plastic sleeves that cause the creaking noise.

The vRS bar diameter is 19mm. When the sleeves were fitted (old type bar), the bushes used had a 20mm hole in them.

The new type ARB, that doesn't have the plastic sleeve, uses a bush with a 17mm hole in the centre (but the bar is obviously still 19mm OD).

Both types of bush are still available, and both now have the ridge and new shaped clamps.

So if you want to keep the plastic sleeves you need the 20mm bush: 1J0 411 314 P

If you want to remove the sleeves, or have a 19mm bar without sleeves, then you want the 17mm bush: 1J0 411 314 S

I removed my sleeves and fitted the 17mm bushes years ago, and it's been silent and trouble free since....

How much were the Superpro ones billy?

I got mine for 18 posted iirc

got them in 3-4 days too unlike powerflex that normally need making. not sure about the arb bushes but other ones need making.

I just did a search on google shopping and went for the cheapest.

billy

For a tip on the install!

Go down the local DIY shop and get some longer bolts

Then you can use these to pull the bracket up tight and compress the new bush as they can be a pain when they are new then once youve pulled them up you can refit the correct bolt!, simples!

For a tip on the install!

Go down the local DIY shop and get some longer bolts

Then you can use these to pull the bracket up tight and compress the new bush as they can be a pain when they are new then once youve pulled them up you can refit the correct bolt!, simples!

+1 on that.

I use that method every time

• 10 months later...