Just upgraded my MDI firmware

Hello,

I just updated the firmware of my MDI interface to the latest 2011 firmware version.

My MDI had 2009 firmware that had a bug whereby iPhones and iPods would (when changing tracks), play 1 second, then skip 1 second and then resume playing the rest of the track. I didn't think it was fixable but had tried upgrading the firmware of the Columbus etc but the MDI actually has it's own firmware and upgradeing it solved my problem. Not only that but he iPod menu control through the Columbus touchscreen appears more responsive.

Firmware is here http://www.my-gti.com/3009/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-firmware-upgrade-0111-kw22-2011

To upgrade you need an MDI to USB cable and simply do the following.

1. Copy the upgrade file (mdi.bin.enc) to the root of a FAT16 or FAT32 formatted USB key.

2. Turn off ignition and Columbus

3. Plug MDI to USB cable into MDI interface and then plug USB Key into the cable.

4. Update if required will run automatically.

5. If you are in the Media/MDI menu you will see a message "SW update..."

6. When finished you get a message "SW update finished"

Notes

a. If MDI firmware is already latest update will not proceed and you will get message on MDI screen of "SW update not possible"

b. You need a MDI to USB cable and a USB key. An iPod in HDD mode will not suffice.

Edited by Gavn Tobin

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know the MDI interface is independent of the head unit it is connected to so one update should fit all.

Any idea whether this is also applicable to Bolero units, or do I need a different upgrade to address the same things?

Anybody in the Huddersfield area got a MDI USB cable I can use to update my firmware?

Have memory stick will travel. Thanks.

Phil

Anybody in the Huddersfield area got a MDI USB cable I can use to update my firmware?

Have memory stick will travel. Thanks.

Phil

Got one on FleeBay for nine quid.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Worked fine for me on a Bolero head unit. A bit disconcerting because nothing at all showed on the screen while the upgrade was running, and, worse, there was no sound on cd or radio. Next morning, all was fine. The skip seems to be gone and on shuffle play, the track names now show correctly. Not yet spotted any other changes.

Thanks to Gavin for posting the link.

Happy to loan a MDI/USB cable to anyone else who wants to try it.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I suppose it's better than starting a new one.

Does anyone know if the 22/2011 MDI update fixes the annoying ipod MDI behaviour where the same artist/album/playlist (depending on how you entered the song to playback) is repeated ad infinitum (regardless of repeat function disabled in ipod menu) instead of moving the the next playlist/artist/album?

It drives me bonkers. because each time it's done with the album and starts playing it back again (and with 80ies albums, it's pretty much every 30-40 minutes) MDI interface also forgets where it was in ipod menu, so when you press "up" button on bolero, instead of going back to the "previous screen" it always defaults to the list of ALL songs, then another press "up" takes it to the main screen, where you have to select again "Artist", scroll all the way through 160Gb of artist names to get to (let's say) "ZZ Top", then scroll again through to the next album. It's crazy and becomes dangerous at motorway speeds, because it takes forever to find anything and can't be done with steering wheel buttons. Please someone tell me this was fixed in the update. :(

Edited by v0n

• 3 months later...

Got the kit I needed from eBay this week, just over £10 for the lead and usb key drive. Updated firmware Thursday pm, no issues, seems to have cured the annoying drop out at the start of a track.

Happy to assist anyone in Hudds, Halifax area with updating if you don't have the kit yourself, just pm me.