Is this caused by DPF ?

Gnasher

I came home the other night in my 2 week old Yeti (CR 170) and as I turned off the engine the electric fan came on and stayed on for about 2 mins. The area around the car seemed very warm, so I immediately checked the engine temperature and oil temperature in the Maxidot, both appeared normal. The car even 'smelt' warm - if you know what I mean. I couldn't feel anything too hot in the engine bay either.

Untypically I had done a quite a few short journies that day so wondered if something was switched on to generate a lot of heat in the exhaust - which when finished then required the fan to cool it down.

It has not repeated itself.

This is my first car with DPF so not sure if this is normal.

Edited by Gnasher

Certainly sounds like DPF regen. The idling will be about 1000 instead of normal 800 and there is a distinct hot/burning rubbery smell. Only lasts a minute or 2

Andy

Certainly sounds like DPF regen. The idling will be about 1000 instead of normal 800 and there is a distinct hot/burning rubbery smell. Only lasts a minute or 2

Andy

I didn't notice the idling speed, but yes it was a very hot rubbery smell. I could feel a lot of heat coming from the underside of the car, so I assumed it was from the exhaust as the engine block was not excessively hot. It must generate a lot of heat when it is regenerating.

I didn't notice the idling speed, but yes it was a very hot rubbery smell. I could feel a lot of heat coming from the underside of the car, so I assumed it was from the exhaust as the engine block was not excessively hot. It must generate a lot of heat when it is regenerating.

A typical DPF regen. My first happened in a Tesco carpark - thought the brakes were on fire!

my 170 CR engine has done it once is almost 15,000 miles (that i know of!)

It was getting late, and the car behind me (while driving) had headlights on - i could see a smoke coming from my exhaust. - around 5 minutes later, i stopped the car, the fan kept running for a little while. - it's never been on since.

It also appears, that the gear indicator, tries to encourage you to keep in lower than usual gears, to allow engine to work harder and push more gas through.

Al.