Brake Pad/Disc Replacement Quote

I put my 2003 Fabia 1.4 16v Elegance through it's 7 year/60k service at the start of the month, and I know for sure I've probably been ripped off on the £510 I paid for:

- Full Service & Labour

- Long Life Oil (I requested this for the greater service intervals, to be fair)

- Change Fuel Filter

- Change Spark Plugs x4

- Change Pollen Filter

- Brake Fluid Flush

- Engine Flush & Fuel Treatment

- Repair Rear Washer Line (I requested as burst pipe)

I've had this all done now but wondered what a more reasonable cost would be. There were two other things I am yet to have done which I'm interested to know what a 'reasonable' price would be:

- Cam belt change (due at 60k). I was quoted £270 for this at service, and the same garage are now doing it for £240 next week after I went to get some more quotes.

(skip to here if you aren't interested in the history!)

My real question to you is:

- Front brake discs and pads are about 85% worn. I am yet to have this done a I was originally quoted £220 and thought this was really very expensive for the brakes, but having had another garage quote me £200 I am quite worried.

Should it really cost this much to have fairly routine work done to a Fabia? A cam belt for my previous Vauxhall came in at £100 all in? Surely brakes should not cost such a huge amount of money, being a fairly simple job?

I should add all of this is through an independent garage (although I made the mistake of arranging the original service through ServicingStop.co.uk - do NOT make the same mistake as me!). The quote from my local Skoda dealer for the cam belt was ridiculous at £395...

I guess it depends where you live, my local quotes £229.99 for front discs and pads which was before the VAT increase. So I don't think your getting a bad deal. However you will always be able to get the work done cheaper at an independent garage, might be worth posting your location and maybe someone will let you know where some decent ones are nearby you!

Hope that helps

Edit: Sorry just noticed that it was from an independent garage! Maybe its to do with where you live? I would assume that inner city areas would be more expensive.

Edited by Rio

- Long Life Oil (I requested this for the greater service intervals, to be fair)

- Change Fuel Filter Took me about 45mins slow inc bleeding the fuel rail

- Change Spark Plugs x4 Takes me about 20mins slow including inspecting the ignitionleads

- Change Pollen Filter Why are you paying someone to do this?? 5mins job slow inc. inspecting for leaves etc

- Brake Fluid Flush ???WTF when I do a brake fuild change all you do is make sure that clean fluid that has no air in it comes out...this flushes old stuff out automatically

- Fuel Treatment I put this in then fill the tank up with fuel then run the tank to empty then change the fuel filter..as the fuel treatment cleans the tank..which then make sthe crap go into the filter...which I then change

- Repair Rear Washer Line (I requested as burst pipe)

I should add all of this is through an independent garage (although I made the mistake of arranging the original service through ServicingStop.co.uk - do NOT make the same mistake as me!). The quote from my local Skoda dealer for the cam belt was ridiculous at £395...

Cambelt full service should be....two cambelts, two tensioners, two idleing pulleys, also the water pump (OEM plastic impellor), aux drivebelt. B)

If you want to save money (I don't do the cambelts, but do all the other items)...then get a Haynes and some tools and do it yourself....just got a set or rear EBC 3DG discs, green stuff pads, 1lt ebc brake fluid all for £169 from DT!

Edited by fabdavrav

Hello andrewkeith5,

I think you have reached a point where common sense is telling you that your spending too much on repairs/ servicing etc.

Member 'fabdavrav' I am in total agreement with his statements.

It is well within a half competent person to replace all the filters and change the engine oil.

Adding, replacing spark plugs, greasing locks/ hinges, etc will place most of a service behind you.

Get yourself a 'Haynes' manual, and ask here any questions on any vehicle subject if your stuck on something.

Remember you haven't got to complete a service on your own car in one hour, or even one day,

but you will feel an inner satisfaction of a job well done when it is all been completed, by yourself.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I will add on a Fabia VRS MK1 'Mintex' front discs and pads about £76.00 all-in E-Bay, whereas rear discs and pads around £28.00 all-in E-Bay.

You'll need a rewind piston caliper tool for rear pads and discs around £16.00 from E-Bay.

Good luck.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got new discs and pads all round for £300 from HiQ which I thought was steep but having read what I see here it looks like good value!

Yeah I have reached the same point regarding realising that i am regularly being ripped off by mechanics and get quite brassed off by their brazenness. I'm self-employed too but in my line of work I cannot command the extortionate rates that many of them are charging so i now weight up their quotes and assess how much time it would take me to do the job myself. Just been quoted £240 to replace sump which has just smashed after a temporary ramp in road incident. Given that I can get a sump off fleabay for £42 and fit myself in an hour or 2 it is a no brainer.

Well I got new discs and pads all round for £300 from HiQ which I thought was steep but having read what I see here it looks like good value!

Yeah I have reached the same point regarding realising that i am regularly being ripped off by mechanics and get quite brassed off by their brazenness. I'm self-employed too but in my line of work I cannot command the extortionate rates that many of them are charging so i now weight up their quotes and assess how much time it would take me to do the job myself. Just been quoted £240 to replace sump which has just smashed after a temporary ramp in road incident. Given that I can get a sump off fleabay for £42 and fit myself in an hour or 2 it is a no brainer.

Even if you add new oil and oil filter with sump gaskets you are still quids in doing it your self.

No good working all hours then give it away to something you are able to do at the fraction of the cost.

Invest in a set of ramps or borrow, for safety and easier access to the job in question.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

No good working all hours then give it away to something you are able to do at the fraction of the cost.

Invest in a set of ramps or borrow, for safety and easier access to the job in question.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I agree +1 :thumbup:

I don't have ramps.......but have a 3ton tolley jack and 2 pairs of big axle stands!!! Oh and a nice big dry double garage!! B)