BULB KIT?

Hello everyone, im off to France soon and need to get a full bulb kit to keep the foreign plod happy - probably a good idea anyway to be honest. Does any recommend a particular kit, or just get one from the local dealer? I looked at audobulbsdirect.com but id end up paying a fortune :no: !

Cheers

Edited by MAS

In case you're interested - but bulb sets are not a requirement for France.

On most sites they are listed as "recommended".

The only requirements for France are:

Warning Triangle

At least one reflective jacket - Which must be kept in the cabin with you

Also absolutely prohibited to carry, transport or use Radar Detectors.

They have some for about a fiver I think. But to be honest, I've never used them. Done a lot of driving in France and never had a problem.

I just have a bulb kit, triangle and hi-vis. :thumbup:

any ideas on headlight director things!?

These aren't needed on the Octavia as you can adapt the beam pattern in the headlamps. Depending on whether you have Xenons and/or Maxidot you will need to do one of the following

• Xenons + Maxidot - Enable tourist mode from the Maxidot settings menu (should be under Setup -> Lights & Vision).
  • Xenons - You cannot change the beam pattern without going to the dealer or using VCDS.
  • Standard Halogens - Take a look at this guide. The guide is for a pre-FL but others have 'adapted' it (ahem!) for FL models.

Fire extingusher is required as well as your log book or whatever that is called nowadays.

I think the AA has got a recommended list of stuff to take.

I just turn my halogen headlights down to the lowest position (after a well known brand of deflector appeared to have water soluble adhesive).

From observation this does not cause dazzle. I admit I do not drive much in the dark in France.

Fire extingusher is required as well as your log book or whatever that is called nowadays.

I think the AA has got a recommended list of stuff to take.

I just turn my halogen headlights down to the lowest position (after a well known brand of deflector appeared to have water soluble adhesive).

From observation this does not cause dazzle. I admit I do not drive much in the dark in France.

No - Fire extinguisher isn't required in France.

Pop along here:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html

Tell it which country you're driving in and it'll tell you the requirements.

No - Fire extinguisher isn't required in France.

Pop along here:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html

Tell it which country you're driving in and it'll tell you the requirements.

Indeed no fire ex in france never has been used to be Orange high vis only as emergency services were only ones allowed to wear yellow but not since the new EU regulations in 2003 its all good

This link is good as it shows compulsory equipment for all countries in a big table AA's Compulsory Equipment EU

ps high vis only 1 is a misleading statement made on all sites anyone leaving the vehicle has to be wearing one by EU law fines are strict they will ping you for your wife and 3 kids at €135 each bring one for everyone.

"Reflective vest: Anyone providing roadside assistance or leaving a stranded vehicle should always wear a reflective vest for their own safety. This is now a legal requirement in a number of European countries. (EU ref: RD1428/2003 and Art.162 Cod4 Bis4 Ter - CDS 2003.)"

Edited by FUBAR

Hello everyone, im off to France soon and need to get a full bulb kit to keep the foreign plod happy - probably a good idea anyway to be honest. Does any recommend a particular kit, or just get one from the local dealer? I looked at audobulbsdirect.com but id end up paying a fortune :no: !

Dunno if it's a help, but Skoda do one - seems to have one of most:

http://www.accessories.skoda.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?p_no=BDB600001A

Note - for the Fabia, there's 2 - one with and one without a front fog light - I assume the same is true for the Octavia.

Dunno if it's a help, but Skoda do one - seems to have one of most:

http://www.accessories.skoda.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?p_no=BDB600001A

Note - for the Fabia, there's 2 - one with and one without a front fog light - I assume the same is true for the Octavia.

£24.99 !!!!!! :o don't know about you but im a Skoda owner that disables me from being able to pay 5 times more for something I can get elsewhere as per the amazon link above more for less value etc isn't that the Skoda way??? :giggle:

The web site below and others refer to fire extinguishers being compulsory in France.Other sites say they are recommended. Argue all you want.

I heeded this advice many years ago and carry one in the door pocket along with a first aid kit, warning triangle, yellow jacket and bulb kit etc.

I'd rather carry the recommended items than argue with the French police.

Good moaning.:rofl:

http://www.calais-gu...-in-france.html

Edited by gregoir

The web site below and others refer to fire extinguishers being compulsory in France.Other sites say they are recommended. Argue all you want.

I heeded this advice many years ago and carry one in the door pocket along with a first aid kit, warning triangle, yellow jacket and bulb kit etc.

I drive in France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Italy, Luxembourg, Czech Republic, Poland, Norway and Denmark continuously in a professional capacity to the extent that I live in mainland Europe working in the logistics industry. I know the law not random myths off web sites anyone in the logistics industry that runs all over Europe like us take great time and effort to conform to all local and EU wide regulations. The number of high vis vests I highlighted above is an excellent example of taking useless information off AA/RAC sites that are not wrong but misleading and can end you up out of pocket or in a lot of trouble if you cant pay there and then!

I've just read this thread with interest and checked out the links to the Calais Guide and the AA and find it hard to believe that basic errors in the legal requirements exist on trusted websites, when not knowing what is required could cost you a great deal of cash.

The Calais Guide states that flourescent jackets should be carried in the boot when in fact, they should be carried in the car as not wearing one to get to the boot to get them out is an offence. The AA Guide states that you only need one flourescent jacket when you need one for every occupant of the vehicle.

Whilst the carrying of a first aid kit and fire extinguisher is not obligatory, there is a requirement to assist in the event of an accident and carrying these items would help in such an instance.

First Aid kit and fire extinguisher: The European Good Samaritan Law requires every driver to stop and provide assistance when an accident is encountered, providing it is safe to do so. This may require a first aid kit and fire extinguisher and it is advisable to have these items when driving in France.

At the end of the day, although we are not required to carry all of these items when driving in the UK, is it not sensible to have spare bulbs, a warning triangle, a first aid kit and fire extinguisher anyway? In the event of a breakdown, wearing a reflective jacket and being more easily seen is common sense, wherever you are.

I bought all of these items when I first took my car to France a few years ago and have kept them in the boot ever since. My bulb set, first aid kit and triangle were all purchased from my local Skoda dealers. I don't remember the exact cost, but none of them was particularly expensive. The bulb kit fits in a space in the polystyrene insert in the spare wheel, the first aid kit straps to the right hand side of the boot, opposite the housing for the CD changer and the triangle straps in just inside the hatch opening, all very tidy.

I also carry a can of tyre foam, incase of an emergency and bought a full size Zenith alloy spare wheel so as not to be limited to the 50mph limit whan the standard steel spare was fitted.

IMHO its better to be prepared.

Edited by Mouldy

I think the idea that its better to be prepared than have to argue the toss at the side of the road with police who have far more power to arrest and fine on the spot than we are used to here. Why risk it for a few quid? Supermarket and some motor factors have all the stuff you need for not much, once you got it, you got it.

HiViz vest £3each, Bulb kit £5, Triangle £8, 1st Aid kit £5 (you can add all sorts of your own, they often don't have plasters these days, analgesics, tummy upset/gaviscon, burn/sunscreen, bite relief both mozzie and tick if you walk much). Fire extingusisher, for fuel and electrical. I got most of that at Lidl/Aldi.

I have been stopped at a border control(old days) and forced to buy a gb plate - mandatory under the Geneva Convention. Mates have been fined (lots) for not having spare bulbs in France. I think the offence is not being able to replace a blown bulb rather than not having a kit per se. First Aid kits and fire extingushers whilst not mandatory everywhere. I know in Germany for example, it is an offence to not go to the aid of crash victims. My sister lives there- has shown me cuttings where people have been sent down for not making an attempt. If it was possible, wouldn't you? And wouldn't you like to think some one would do the same for you?

I've just read this thread with interest and checked out the links to the Calais Guide and the AA and find it hard to believe that basic errors in the legal requirements exist on trusted websites, when not knowing what is required could cost you a great deal of cash.

The Calais Guide states that flourescent jackets should be carried in the boot when in fact, they should be carried in the car as not wearing one to get to the boot to get them out is an offence. The AA Guide states that you only need one flourescent jacket when you need one for every occupant of the vehicle.

Whilst the carrying of a first aid kit and fire extinguisher is not obligatory, there is a requirement to assist in the event of an accident and carrying these items would help in such an instance.

First Aid kit and fire extinguisher: The European Good Samaritan Law requires every driver to stop and provide assistance when an accident is encountered, providing it is safe to do so. This may require a first aid kit and fire extinguisher and it is advisable to have these items when driving in France.

At the end of the day, although we are not required to carry all of these items when driving in the UK, is it not sensible to have spare bulbs, a warning triangle, a first aid kit and fire extinguisher anyway? In the event of a breakdown, wearing a reflective jacket and being more easily seen is common sense, wherever you are.

I bought all of these items when I first took my car to France a few years ago and have kept them in the boot ever since. My bulb set, first aid kit and triangle were all purchased from my local Skoda dealers. I don't remember the exact cost, but none of them was particularly expensive. The bulb kit fits in a space in the polystyrene insert in the spare wheel, the first aid kit straps to the right hand side of the boot, opposite the housing for the CD changer and the triangle straps in just inside the hatch opening, all very tidy.

I also carry a can of tyre foam, incase of an emergency and bought a full size Zenith alloy spare wheel so as not to be limited to the 50mph limit whan the standard steel spare was fitted.

IMHO its better to be prepared.

The steel spare in mine is the same rolling radius as the 18 and only 20mm narrower so I see no need to be limited to 50 when it is only the width that is different. I have 16 inch wheels with the same size tyres as the spare for winter use and do a lot more than 50 ;)

The steel spare in mine is the same rolling radius as the 18 and only 20mm narrower so I see no need to be limited to 50 when it is only the width that is different. I have 16 inch wheels with the same size tyres as the spare for winter use and do a lot more than 50 ;)

I appreciate that the spare may have had the same rolling radius, but as the wheel was a 16", with narrower tyres and a taller profile and and wouldn't have matched the other wheel on the same axle when fitted, it was classed as a space saver. The other giveaway way was the chuffing great yellow stickers plastered all over the side of the rim declaring a maximum speed of 50mph / 80kph.

I managed to get a Zenith alloy from eBay that hadn't had a tyre fitted or been attached to a car, but used on a display in a showroom for £75 and had a Conti fitted to the rim to match the tyres on my car then sold the original spare (with tyre) on eBay.

You might be happy to take your chances using mis-matched wheels and tyres, but I am not. The safety of those travelling in my car is a primary consideration and the £120 or so net cost, following the sale of the original spare, I consider to be money well spent!

The differently sized spare wheel may well have the same radius but will no doubt behave differently to the rest of the wheel and tyre combo's on the car. From what I've heard you do not want to be arguing with the police abroad about such things.

My wife is Dutch so use to travel abroad a lot, collected a few things over the years but now never go anywhere without them.

Have used them here in the UK several times and not just for myself, I now actually class them as necessities no mater where you're driving in the world.

1 x Emergency life hammer (Front drivers side, to cut you free from the seatbelt and smash the window for a quick exit)

1 x Fire Extinguisher (Boot, good advice not to keep it in the cabin as they have been known to go off during accidents)

1 x Reflective Triangle (Boot, get one which is weighted, stops it getting blown over if on the motorway as traffic passes)

2 x Reflective waist coats (Boot)

2 x Plastic rain coats (Boot)

1 x Spare bulb set (Boot)

1 x Blanket (Boot)

1 x First aid kit (Boot)

1 x Towrope (Boot)

1 x 6 pack water (boot, perfect for giving to accident victims suffering shock on the roadside)

1 x Tin of energy/rehydration sweets (Boot)

My wife is Dutch so use to travel abroad a lot, collected a few things over the years but now never go anywhere without them.

Have used them here in the UK several times and not just for myself, I now actually class them as necessities no mater where you're driving in the world.

1 x Emergency life hammer (Front drivers side, to cut you free from the seatbelt and smash the window for a quick exit)

1 x Fire Extinguisher (Boot, good advice not to keep it in the cabin as they have been known to go off during accidents)

1 x Reflective Triangle (Boot, get one which is weighted, stops it getting blown over if on the motorway as traffic passes)

2 x Reflective waist coats (Boot)

2 x Plastic rain coats (Boot)

1 x Spare bulb set (Boot)

1 x Blanket (Boot)

1 x First aid kit (Boot)

1 x Towrope (Boot)

1 x 6 pack water (boot, perfect for giving to accident victims suffering shock on the roadside)

1 x Tin of energy/rehydration sweets (Boot)

wow seems like youve stolen my car reading that :p I am more or less exactly the same bar blanket I opt for sleeping bag. Emergency life hammer should be law world wide!!!

• 5 months later...

There is no need to do anything to the outside of the lights to deflect the beam in an Octavia if on the continent. On my new model (2010) you drop out the complete headlight fixture fingers in the back and flick a switch which flat beams the light and makes them legal in France (though it pays to take the instructions to explain if the gendarmerie want to know where the beam deflectors are). Instructions are in the handbook though I also got my dealer to show me how to do it. 10 minutes work (and I'm a lady driver!). Sorry to bump an old thread, but I came looking to find out what bulbs I needed to include in a bulb set for the continent, tripped over this one and the advice still seemed pertinent.

• 2 years later...

There is no need to do anything to the outside of the lights to deflect the beam in an Octavia if on the continent. On my new model (2010) you drop out the complete headlight fixture fingers in the back and flick a switch which flat beams the light and makes them legal in France (though it pays to take the instructions to explain if the gendarmerie want to know where the beam deflectors are). Instructions are in the handbook though I also got my dealer to show me how to do it. 10 minutes work (and I'm a lady driver!). Sorry to bump an old thread, but I came looking to find out what bulbs I needed to include in a bulb set for the continent, tripped over this one and the advice still seemed pertinent.

I weould also add that last time I travelled to France the law seemed to be in a state of flux over the breathayzers and their requirement to be carried in the vehicle, if in doubt do carry them that way like the sat nav laws you cannot be accused by the Gendamerie of being ignorant when the law seems not to being enforced

Incidentally the French will confiscate your vehicle documents if you are unable to pay the 1200 euro fine for using a satellite navigation device that has speed camera data embedded in it