vrs stuck in 3rd.

hi peeps,

coming down a slip road off motorway as normal,changing down the gears fine. went for 2nd and gear knob went slack. so put it into neutral ready for the jct and as soon as i let go of the clutch it stalled, always in 3rd gear no matter what you select.

anybody got any ideas or happened to them.

<br />Looks like your box has failed theres a weak point in the vag boxes the rivets on the diff snap off<br />
<br /><br /><br />cheers sounds expensive, dont suppose you know which gearbox codes to look out for if its fubar.

Guest BigJase88

Depends what year your vrs is.. Only early early ones got the longer ratio'd box 53 plate (unsure of code)

The others got the newer shorter box (hds code)

Both boxes are interchangeable so it doesnt really matter which one you fit...

Depends what year your vrs is.. Only early early ones got the longer ratio'd box 53 plate (unsure of code)

The others got the newer shorter box (hds code)

Both boxes are interchangeable so it doesnt really matter which one you fit...

Guest BigJase88

And i'd snap that one up at £200 asap! I paid double which was the cheapest i could find at the time

I had the exact problem, changed from 2nd gear to 3rd and the slector fork had snapped leaving it stuck in 3rd! I purchased a brand new box through a mate at VW and lets just say it still dented my bank balance hard lol!

My mechanic basically said if your planning to keep the car for a long time then buy a brand new box. You could choose to have it fully rebuilt, think i was quoted around £400 but no guarantee as to how long it would last.

Guest BigJase88

Stuff the new box

Buy that one at £200 and change the oil... Better than £1000+ from a dealer, are they not about £1800

Stuck in third is NOTHING to do with the diff. It will either be in most likely order.

1: Cable linkage has broken

2: Broken selector fork

3: Sheared cross pin on selector linkage

1 and 3 are easy and cheap fixes. The fork linkage is a bolt on part on the top of the box and can be replaced with the box in situ.

The diff fault was on early boxes, where the crown wheel to carrier rivets sheared off and the diff would then punch a hole in the box.