South Wales Scenic Drive

korban

South Wales Scenic Drive

Myself and Stephen (BusyBeingBorn) went this year to meet at Weston Super Mare and also the Jurassic Coast Tour basically because there was nothing going on in the South Wales Area. We really enjoyed the drive and the chance to meet some of our English Briskodian cousins. So we thought it was about time that we returned the favour. In south/mid Wales we have some great scenery and some lovely roads. Last weekend we did a road trip over some of the places that I have visited in the past to compile a route which encompasses a wide range of roads and scenery. So if you are interested in driving some great and unusual roads in the lovely Welsh country side read on, took some photos of the areas we will be going through :-

Photo01.jpg

Photo02.jpg

Photo03.jpg

Photo05.jpg

Photo06.jpg

Photo07.jpg

Photo08.jpg

Photo09.jpg

Photo10.jpg

Photo11.jpg

Photo12.jpg

Photo13.jpg

Photo14.jpg

Photo19.jpg

Photo20.jpg

Photo22.jpg

Photo23.jpg

Photo24.jpg

Photo25.jpg

Photo26.jpg

The route will be approximately 150 miles long taking about 4 hours in total driving (plus stops). Start and end will be at Sarn Services just off the M4. The route will take us over the heads of the valleys with lovely sweeping horseshoe bends, long climbs hugging the side of the valleys, fast downhill sections, past some lovely reservoirs, through a fire ring range, though one of the best valley singe track roads, into Forestry Commission land, around a large picturesque reservoir and finally driving through the Black Mountains on one of the best driving roads in the UK (as seen on Top Gear and 5th Gear).

There are two Travel lodges near to the start and a local pub for an evening meal for anyone who is interested and we will source a local spot in the middle of the route for lunch.

So if you are interested and you name to the list and we will arrange a date in the near future

• Like 1

the 350Z forum has a Wales run every year, 3 days of driving and having fun, if people behaves there are no problems with the law.

Pending on dates I would be up for it :thumbup:

I'll be up for this, but with working in retail I can't get any time off from mid August till mid September.

Well Chris thinking of end of this month or next month. How is the car going without the tuning box on it ? :thumbup:

IF I get another car in time, I'd be up for this seeings I have nothing to do till August/September again.

Be good to meet you, keep looking for a car then :thumbup:

Potentially, but unlikely. :( We'd only get pulled over by the local constabulary in true Briskoda tradition! :D

Don't worry Jason we won't be travelling on any dual carriageways it's all A, B and forest roads. Last weekend we did not see one at all. Hows the car by the way ?

the 350Z forum has a Wales run every year, 3 days of driving and having fun, if people behaves there are no problems with the law.

Pending on dates I would be up for it :thumbup:

Its a nice run with lots of twist and turns more than outright speed so its enjoyable without having to go flat out, plus the fact that you get the chance to drive in some unusual places (a climb up a 25% hill with double hairpins comes to mind) :thumbup:

If its a Saturday I am in even though I already know a fair bit of the route based on the pics :D

Great Karl be good to see you again plus if I get lost you can help me out ! :giggle:

I'd be up for this, and staying in the travelodge for beers if anyone's interested!

Hi Dave be good to see you again, and as long as it's not Cider, I'll be up for a drink :beer:

Well Chris thinking of end of this month or next month. How is the car going without the tuning box on it ? :thumbup:

I've got the car remapped and is now running 150bhp, but the power has been pegged back (~135bhp) due to a broken coolant temperature sensor emoticon-0114-dull.gif

I might struggle to make this as I've had my hours at work cut to 16hrs p/w emoticon-0106-crying.gif. So I'm currently searching for a new job as it looks like I'll have ~£50 shortfall each month emoticon-0120-doh.gif and the MOT is due next month

Whatever date you use, make sure that Eppynt is open, as there is regular MOD and Motorsport activity that can close various roads on it.

Thanks Llanigraham was aware of that, but don't know who or where to contact to find out when the roads are open, last weekend did see a few army boys but the roads were open

Cheers

Karl :thumbup:

Thanks Llanigraham was aware of that, but don't know who or where to contact to find out when the roads are open, last weekend did see a few army boys but the roads were open

Cheers

Karl :thumbup:

Karl

The Range Office is based at Sennybridge Camp, but I don't have a phone number. They do like to know if anything out of the ordinary is happening. The central spine road from Tirabad across to the dual carriage way down to the A40 is still MOD property but does have a time limit on closures. Because the whole of Eppynt is MOD land then Powys CC do not have to issue Road Closure Notices. If you let me know the dates you are proposing and the route (PM is fine) I will check the Motorsport Calender to see if you clash with anything.

I presume you know of "grumpy's" Charity Drive? If you are using any roads they use then you should allow at least a couple of weeks gap. Note that they are doing this type of tour properly and legally. What you are organising is a "Touring Assembly", under MSA Legislation, and in certain areas of Powys especially there have been problems in the last couple of years where illegal events have taken place and caused problems. I know where these areas are through my contacts in the Welsh Motorsport world.

Edited by Llanigraham

Karl

The Range Office is based at Sennybridge Camp, but I don't have a phone number. They do like to know if anything out of the ordinary is happening. The central spine road from Tirabad across to the dual carriage way down to the A40 is still MOD property but does have a time limit on closures. Because the whole of Eppynt is MOD land then Powys CC do not have to issue Road Closure Notices. If you let me know the dates you are proposing and the route (PM is fine) I will check the Motorsport Calender to see if you clash with anything.

I presume you know of "grumpy's" Charity Drive? If you are using any roads they use then you should allow at least a couple of weeks gap. Note that they are doing this type of tour properly and legally. What you are organising is a "Touring Assembly", under MSA Legislation, and in certain areas of Powys especially there have been problems in the last couple of years where illegal events have taken place and caused problems. I know where these areas are through my contacts in the Welsh Motorsport world.

Thanks for the heads up Llanigraham, yes I have seen grumpy's Charity Drive, but I would have thought that although we might get a good few names down in a list the actual number that attend will be less due to conflict of dates so it might only be a handful of cars unlike the Charity Drive. Will have a chat with the organiser's of previous runs to find out some more details.

Cheers

Karl

1) korban

2) busybeingborn

3) chrisw880

4) karbar2k

5) Sharkrider

6) Billy2981 (date depending)

7) Gaz_Vrs

8) Tigger and Paige (just give us 2 weeks warning, so I can make sure Paige isn't working)