Toyota Auris SR180

Does anyone one one of these?

I have no worries regarding reliability after how our Rav has perfomed.

My main concern is the fuel economy. I know the 2.2 wont be the most economical but I would like to think it can average 40mpg.

We've test driven it and we both liked the ride, its Firm but progressive unlike the Octavia, it also has enough power and a high enough towing limit for our caravan.

I don't like the fact that it doesn't come with a spare wheel although I will be buying a 2nd set of wheels to put winter tyres on and will keep one in the boot as the spare, a quick question, would it be possible to get the spare wheel well cut out and lowered so I could fit a full size wheel in there rather than loosing boot space?

If SWMBO does end up needing a people carrier it will be my Octavia that will then need togo :( but hopefully that wont happen and she will get a school job or another job elsewhere

I have asked similar questions on the Toyota Forum and they have nothing but positive comments, just thought I would ask on here for opinions as they are less biased towards Toyotas ;)

I used to have an Auris T180 and the economy was dreadful. I averaged 34mpg if I drove like a granny and 32 most of the other time.

Also the car did not feel that powerful. The interior felt very cheap with crap plastics and the brakes were woeful.

Needless to say I got rid of the car after a year. They are not a patch on Octavia’s.

Cant comment about the Auris SR180, but we recently bought a Yaris SR for SWMBO, complete with stop/start technology etc. Stated fuel economy is 53mpg, for the last tank (mostly motorway/A Road) we have just returned 39.6 (using full tank to full tank method, with 39.5 shown on display- a shocking 320 mile range. SWMBO has had a 1st generation Yaris for 7 years and it still achieves 48pmg+ over similar roads. The best single journey I have managed in Yaris ST was 51.2mpg- I then took my Superb over the same route and returned 64.5mpg (1.6 CR diesel)

The 1.3SR engine in the Yaris is thirsty, not much more power than the old 1litre. Also the space in Auris is not much more than in Yaris. We have had Toyotas in the family for over 30 years, but with recalls on my last Avensis, high fuel consuption (relatively) and high leasing costs I moved to Skoda this time round- now wish I had persuaded SWMBO to get a Fabia rather than another Yaris

Good luck if you go ahead with the purchase, but only expect fuel economy of 40mpg+ if all your journeys are downhill with a tailwind

A mate of mine has the avensis 2.2d, 57 plate about 40,000 miles & he noticed a knocking noise under load,it was running a bit lumpy but on a run its fine,he had it checked by the local toyota dealer where he got the car from & apparently theres 2 injectors that are shot, the egr failed & caused major soot build up in the bores resulting in an engine strip down & re-build. Its just out of warranty but toyota are going to repair it at a cost of £4000 as its apparently a common problem thats known to them, I dont know if the info the dealer said is a load of rubbish or theres any truth in it, but its worth considering. maybe a phone call to toyota is worth doing to see what they have to say, lee

Don't think they are that quick. Was in the vRS a few months ago and one overtook me on a NSL road so I had a little play. Kept with it fairly easily without being dangerous. Didn't push to overtake. My aunt took a petrol one for a test drive and didn't like it.

I see one most mornings on way to work, really nice looking car but i serviced a lower model one at work and didnt like where the hand brake is, nearly elbow rear seat passengers putting it on, there you go points both ways, carnt accused of been biased

I work for Toyota and sell them for a living, my personal advice would be to go for the 2.0 D4D over the 2.2 D-CAT. Yes the T180/SR180 does have the independent rear suspension over the other models, but the fuel economy is appalling. You would be lucky to get anywhere near 35 MPG. Go for the SR model and you still get the nice looking wheels, lowered suspension, a spoiler and tinted windows, but much better fuel economy. The 2.0 D4D still has got a fair amount of poke in it too. Hope this helps, PM me if you want any more advice,

Matt

oh and i dont think you can get the spare wheel well cut out any more, as far as i can remember its where part of the exhaust back box is.

Matt