Wheel size question

Yes. And I also believe the estates did/always had 16" versions of the Spiders.

I was looking for some to put some winter tyres on. But they seem difficult to get hold of.

The estates do; some batches of the UK hatch may (supply issues with 17s), and AIUI overseas markets (India springs to mind) do.

As for reasons why the rims might be rare; 6.5x16 rims are standard on the Elegance and L&K specs.

They were standard spec on the Mk1's and the 17" were optional extras. As Higgy said, The Combis only came with 16"s

Yep 16's on Combi unless someones swapped them. I run 7x 16 inch TT alloys and kept the standard Elegance wheels which have my winter conti's on now. A good set of Mk1 Leon/Toledo/Golf Mk4 Audi 16's can be had with legal tyres for less than £150. Didn't make any different to my insurance either as they were the same rim diameter.

Audi wheels tend to have a different offset though.

i thought 17's became standard at a "midlife face lift/spec change" but I could wrong.

They are rare cos they are all on Fabias :p :thumbup:

My first set came off one of the unlucky early hatches.

SN850286.jpg

but following an incident with a curb I bought a second set off an estate and refurbed them to black.

IMG_0415.jpg

There are still 4 in my garage mid refurb :yes:

They are out there but said are like hens teeth.

The set advertised above in my opinion is over priced (although it includes a steel spare and tyres) - I didn't pay that amount for my 2 sets combined!