I need help diagnosing engine, sound clip included

Elcroato

Hi everyone,

My engine sound oscillates strongly in pitch and it's getting worse. I recorded it next to the washer fluid resevoir. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

http://home.t-online.de/home/520004783779-0001/engine.wmv

I forgot to mention that during the clip I revved to 2000 and 1500 rpms respectively.

Have you got a loss of power?

Thank you for the responses. There might be a slight power loss. Power delivery doesn't seem that smooth. I do have a boost gauge, however, and it reads 7PSI at WOT. I guess it could be the coil packs, why hasn't Skoda issued a recall for them?

It could be a vacuum leak as well I think, my boost gauge doesn't have increments for vacuum measurement, but judging by the needles position at idle I'd guess 10Hg/mm

BTW, VRStu, this may sound stupid, but what's a PD engine. :confused: It's kind of early, sorry.

Regards

i had this sound in my Porsche Turbo, some years ago. It sounds like the turbo(blades) has blown or cavitated.

Im inclined to agree this is whats happened, but its very difficult to tell without seeing the car.

As for a coil pack recall there isnt one, but if you car goes into a dealer with a coil pack fault or a 40k service where the plugs are changed they will all be replaced free of charge to you for the latest type if they are of a type that fail.

Ross,

Though it may be hard to tell from the sound clip, what other maladies could be causing these three distinct noises that I'd like to get rid of

1. the choppy idle

2. The unbalanced sound of the engine,eg. Like a spinning warped plate.

3. The constant high pitch metallic sound.

Regards,

Mark

I'm not too familiar with the 1.8T but to me I don't think its the turbo because the noise seems to change imediately with the engine revs.. I would have thought the there would be a slight delay in the change to the noise due to the turbo still spinning at very high revs when you first take your foot off ther gas (sort of a reverse turbo lag effect).

Does the vRS normally make that tappet ticking noise?

If it doesn't it's just a guess but it sounds like a sticking hydraulic cam follower ...If one of these wasn't pumping properly , especially on an inlet valve, the engine would be strangled and suffer power loss, (regardless of the turbos boost pressure)

Strange that the deeper rumbling noise is worse at one side of the engine towards the cambelt /cambelt tensioner/waterpump etc ....maybe the water pump bearings are on their way out..is the engine running any hotter?

I'm not too familiar with the 1.8T but to me I don't think its the turbo because the noise seems to change imediately with the engine revs.. I would have thought the there would be a slight delay in the change to the noise due to the turbo still spinning at very high revs when you first take your foot off ther gas (sort of a reverse turbo lag effect).

Does the vRS normally make that tappet ticking noise?

If it doesn't it's just a guess but it sounds like a sticking hydraulic cam follower ...If one of these wasn't pumping properly ' date=' especially on an inlet valve, the engine would be strangled and suffer power loss, (regardless of the turbos boost pressure)

Strange that the deeper rumbling noise is worse at one side of the engine towards the cambelt /cambelt tensioner/waterpump etc ....maybe the water pump bearings are on their way out..is the engine running any hotter?[/quote']

I'm no expert, but I don't think the turbo was spooling in my audio clip, my boost gauge just registered a vacuum. Hence I don't think the turbo is the problem.

To my knowledge all 1.8T's make the "tappet ticking" noise, although I heard that some motor oils accentuate it more than others.

That deep rumbling noise you mention is what really annoys me about my engine. I had my timing belt, tensioner and waterpump replaced 10,000km ago as a preventive measure, so I don't think they are causing it.

Thanks for the comments and please keep them coming. :thumbup:

Regards

Hi everyone' date='

My engine sound oscillates strongly in pitch and it's getting worse. I recorded it next to the washer fluid resevoir. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

[url']http://home.t-online.de/home/520004783779-0001/engine.wmv[/url]

I forgot to mention that during the clip I revved to 2000 and 1500 rpms respectively.

Your vehicle has exactly the same problem as my Octavia vRS. My vehicle is now six month old and for the last two months I have had this problem. Three visits to a Skoda dealership, including one inspection from a Skoda area technical manager, I am told that the vehicle is not faulty at all!! The problem is a ACF Valve on a Charcoil Canister regarding fuel omissions. Skoda state is is designed to make a ticking noise. You are correct where the part is situated within the engine. Black Canister next to water bottle.

The ticking noise from my vehicle is now almost constant. It is also very loud and I feel totally unacceptable. Have you had any positive progress since your post. Comments please to [email protected]

Hi everyone' date='

Regards

[url']http://home.t-online.de/home/520004783779-0001/engine.wmv[/url]

Sounds like your exhaust manifold/turbo is blowing slightly, not uncommon with 1.8t. Bit of a pig to check tho. Probably could get away with nipping up.