Superb Sat Nav

Yes I know I must be really stupid......please no Confirmation needed. Let me explain. I have been reading on this forum about how easy it is to upgrade my Columbus sat nav to accept 7 digit postcodes. My car is Feb 2011 registered Superb Combi in Elegance trim CR170. So, I visited the supplying dealer (Michells of Chester) and asked about the upgrade. They offered to load the software free of charge but offered the disc at £150.00 I don't want to appear to be complaining but could some wise soul explain. Am I completly getting the wrong end of the stick, am I asking the wrong question of Mitchells, any advise would be very welcome. Thanks Roy

Edited by Roy and Val

Did you get any disc with your car?

If you didn't, go back and get it - it "should" be supplied with a UK car (not supplied in IE)

And, as it's a 2011 car, and the maps came out late 2010, they should have been pre-loaded anyway!

Al.

A Feb 2011 car should already have V7 maps on it! these were available in October / November last year IIRC, my car was collected mid December c/w V7 maps and disc.

Get the dealer to upload the latest maps and then politely explain to them that the disc should of been supplied with the car and if they are not prepared to do this then you will put it in SUK's hands.

Strictly speaking once the maps have been uploaded you should never need the disc again. :thumbup:

Did you get any disc with your car?

If you didn't, go back and get it - it "should" be supplied with a UK car (not supplied in IE)

And, as it's a 2011 car, and the maps came out late 2010, they should have been pre-loaded anyway!

Al.

Thanks everyone for your replies to reply to ukcruiser There is an unopened disc in the glove compartment that I suspect from the wording it is a European up grade, I am reluctant to put the disc in just in case it causes a problem. Thanks again for your help.

There is an unopened disc in the glove compartment that I suspect from the wording it is a European up grade, I am reluctant to put the disc in just in case it causes a problem. Thanks again for your help.

As the disk came with the car, it won't cause any problems. It could be (should be, actually) the map data disk that's loaded onto your hard drive to make the satnav function. If it is and you insert it, it won't do anything. If it's an upgrade to the maps, when you insert it and once it's been read, it will notify you that it's a new disk and ask you if you want to use it temporarily or load to the database. Loading to the database will upgrade the satnav, but is probably best done when on a journey. This is because if you leave the Columbus to do it when parked it will switch itself off after a limited amount of time to "save battery." HTH :)

Ray

As the disk came with the car, it won't cause any problems. It could be (should be, actually) the map data disk that's loaded onto your hard drive to make the satnav function. If it is and you insert it, it won't do anything. If it's an upgrade to the maps, when you insert it and once it's been read, it will notify you that it's a new disk and ask you if you want to use it temporarily or load to the database. Loading to the database will upgrade the satnav, but is probably best done when on a journey. This is because if you leave the Columbus to do it when parked it will switch itself off after a limited amount of time to "save battery." HTH :)

Ray

Thanks Ray, great help

Cheers

Roy

Just to update on this thread, I took the car to the supplying dealer.They checked the Satnav and confirmed it was the V7 They also took time to talk me through the system, Thanks to everyone for great advice, as usual!! [/size]

Edited by Roy&Val