Original XBox..

HotRod

I picked up a few original XBox's cheap and wanted to do some tinkering with them..

I want one as a multimedia device - DVD, MP3, etc.. so was thinking of XBMC.

Want one to put XBox Linux on there - no idea why, something I've not done and want to achieve..

The other I want to remain as a game machine - for now anyway...

The only real questions I have are.... does anyone have experience of this sort of modding? should I softmod or hardware mod? which mod chip should I go for?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

I bought an original xbox and softmodded it to run XBMC about 4 years ago.

If I remember rightly, I had to have the original version of splinter cell and an Action Replay memory card to run the exploit from. It wasn't difficult at all.

Ahh I've just found a handy walkthough guide here

You can also use USB devices like this one to transfer the files over.

My old original xbox running XBMC is still going strong at the mother in laws house.

I hardmodded mine though with a solderless chip. I reckon you'd get one of those pretty cheap now. I also upgraded the HDD to an old 80GB one I had lying around.

Phil

I've softmodded 2 original xboxes, both of which are still running. A great resource is http://www.xbmc4xbox.org which gives you all the information you could ever need. I've still got my softmod kit somewhere if you want to borrow it...

PM'd