A Week Of Detailing

Leodhasach

Hi guys,

Here we have my modified Skoda Fabia Elegance, which was needing a bit of TLC lately! Plenty of photos, as I was playing with my new camera B)

First was just a quick spruce-up to get it ready for a charity drag race I had entered. Being my daily driver and having covered a LOT of miles lately, she was a bit shabby:

NewCamera010.jpg

Mud on the splitter, where I had to go off-road to dodge a fallen tree :doublesho

NewCamera013.jpg

NewCamera017.jpg

NewCamera018.jpg

NewCamera039.jpg

NewCamera027.jpg

NewCamera029.jpg

NewCamera040.jpg

Engine bay wasn't too bad:

NewCamera036.jpg

I started playing around with camera settings then to capture the etched-on muck, and various marks to be tackled:

NewCamera034.jpg

NewCamera033.jpg

NewCamera019.jpg

NewCamera020.jpg

NewCamera021.jpg

NewCamera022.jpg

Anyway, on with the detail:

The wheels were tackled with a diluted mix of Meguiar's Wheel Brightener and various brushes, giving the following:

June2011001.jpg

The car with foamed with Meguiar's APC:

June2011004.jpg

June2011005.jpg

Areas such as door shuts, widow rubbers and exhaust tailpipe were agitated and sprayed with extra APC.

Foam doing its thing:

June2011007.jpg

A two-bucket wash with Dodo BTBM and a lambswool mitt was carried out, and tyres were then dressed, leaving the following:

June2011012.jpg

For the drag race, I also partially stripped the car out :o

June2011013.jpg

June2011015.jpg

Gave me a chance to clean the carpets properly! :D

Fast-forward a few days and it's time to start again, doing a proper job this time (although I didn't have time to break out the machine polisher to sort out some small marks...next time!). The car was also serviced in the meantime. The car was brought onto level ground:

June2011025.jpg

Wheels were removed:

June2011026.jpg

June2011028.jpg

June2011029.jpg

Somewhat iffy-looking coilovers:

June2011027.jpg

The arches and suspension were scrubbed with Meguiar's Super Degreaser, and the coilovers were lubricated with a lanolin-based grease called Fluid Film. It's good stuff, but it actually smells of sheep :doublesho (lanolin comes from wool). I also took the opportunity to raise the front coilovers a couple of turns as my dad will be using the car during my forthcoming trip at sea.

After cleaning, but before the application of Meguiar's All Season Dressing...sorry :o

June2011030.jpg

Wheels were cleaned with Bilberry, de-tarred with Tardis and decontaminated with Iron-X:

June2011031.jpg

These were then sealed with Planet Polish Wheel Seal and Shine and re-fitted to the car, tyres dressed and pressures checked.

The front had picked up quite a lot of bugs :doublesho

June2011036.jpg

Car was foamed again:

June2011040.jpg

Washed, 2bm, with Dodo BTBM and lambswool mitt:

June2011039.jpg

After this the car was dried, de-tarred with Tardis, and then brought out for Iron-X decontamination:

June2011045.jpg

June2011046.jpg

After a rinse, the car was clayed with yellow poly-clay and Meguiar's Last Touch, which after the previous decontamination, had virtually nothing to remove. Happy days.

I was having to push on by this point so the photos had to stop, but the car was then rinsed, dried, interior hoovered and tidied, pedals cleaned, glass cleaned, and finally the car was waxed with Collinite 476s, which meant I ended up with this:

June2011048.jpg

June2011049.jpg

June2011051.jpg

June2011052.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew :thumbup:

June2011054.jpg

Cars looking good Andy B)

Let us know how the drag race goes :thumbup:

Cheers! B)

It was fun, but they kept putting me up against tuned Scoobys and things :dull:

Thanks guys :)

Nice to know that the cause of today's aching joints and backache (I'm only 21, why do I feel like an old man?!) is appreciated :D