why does my engine vibrate on start up

1.2 htp 12 valve, 2008 reg, done just over 26K miles, fully serviced.

when i start the engine, it sometimes feels and sounds like it's labouring for the first few seconds

also, sometimes the idle rpm is about 1100-1300 revs, normally it's about 800-900revs.

what's wrong? should i be worried?

Edited by fabia55

The VAG three cylinder engines use a balancer shaft to lessen the inherent vibration in such an engine. Maybe you need to get the engine mounts looked at. Seems like there may be some issues with the engine vibrating due to slight rotation when the end cylinders are firing.

Engine mounts should be fine after just 3 years but as CM says...get em checked. More likely to be coil pack going faulty, or other ignition issues, or injection issues. These could include throttle position sensor needing resetting or faulty or just dirty injectors needing some fuel system cleaner running through. How is it running when it's hot? There are a whole host of things I can think of that could cause it but none of them serious so don't be worried. Try the injector cleaner and report back, also look for loose, dirty or damaged plug leads. After that it will need a closer look.

no problem starting the engine when it's already hot, not that i notice.

this vibration is only for a 2 or 3 seconds on start up, also noticed it when the rear heating element is turned on on start up

Sounds fairly normal with a 3cyl engine while it is on cold-start fuelling, and also with the rear heater increasing the load on the engine. It's just that a 3cyl will sound rougher than a 4cyl at that point.

My TSI normally ticks over at 600rpm, and vibrates a bit. If I have the air-con running it ticks over at 800rpm

Has it always done it or has it just started doing it?

I think there is nothing to worry about. I owned a Fabia MK1 1.2 12v which had the same behavior. I was told that this could be due to ambient moisture in combination with ambient temperature. Bad languages used to say that the pre-catalyst lambda sensor must be replaced. I never believed them, the car was running fine and emissions were always where they should be.

As about the rear heating element, it is an energy consuming apparatus and the battery is only 44Ah so that's why engine vibrates instantly, or your headlights are dimming instantly.

And don't forget that 1.2 HTP has only three cylinders and that's why produces some more vibrations and the chain driven camshaft make her a bit noisy, but yet it's a nippy engine combined with a fine gear box.

Edited by stratosg

Sounds fairly normal with a 3cyl engine while it is on cold-start fuelling, and also with the rear heater increasing the load on the engine. It's just that a 3cyl will sound rougher than a 4cyl at that point.

My TSI normally ticks over at 600rpm, and vibrates a bit. If I have the air-con running it ticks over at 800rpm

Has it always done it or has it just started doing it?

i've never really taken much notice in the past

i also sometimes notice this vibration happens for the first 2 or 3 seconds when i press the air con button.

Edited by fabia55

i've never really taken much notice in the past

i also sometimes notice this vibration happens for the first 2 or 3 seconds when i press the air con button.

Hi Fabia,, yes that's normal. It's the extra load the aircon places on the engine when you switch it on. The engine management system makes sure the engine revs are sufficient to sustain the load but there is often a momentary shake if the engine is running slow at idle.

• 5 years later...

Hi , I have Skoda Fabia 2, 1.4 TDI, Diesel, 2008y. 235.000 , BNV,

Here I have record start engine, Cold Start YouTube.com/Cold-Start-Skoda-Fabia-2

Sometime after start engine is running loudly, later is ok

Here is record, engine is warm and start again - YouTube.com/Warm-engine-Skoda-Fabia-2

wheter anyone have also this problem?