Refurb or new wheels?

Rob at Kentbodyshop can either touch up/repaint the wheels or he sends them off to be refurbed. He used to send them to Lepsons who work on a Friday or Tuesday (if I remember correctly) pick-up. When I had mine done he was sending them to someone-else (Margate possibly? Though I don't remember). Anyway they stripped the wheel and powder-coated it and it looked like new. Think it was round about £60 a wheel and as I only had the one done I don't know if they charge less for a full set.

Rob used to work for a body shop in the Canterbury area that did all the work for most of the dealers in that area. When he set up on his own apparently a few of the dealers stopped using his old employer. Having talked to him he says he still gets work referred from dealers who are unhappy with the finishes their usual body-shops have given customers cars.

He sorted out existing scuffs on my car when I bought it. When I dinged the boot in the spring (down to the metal; my own fault :'( ) he sorted it within a week.

Give him a call on the web-site numbers and see what he says.

This is the company I used for a full refurb powder coated in shadow chrome finish. Paid £65 per wheel including removal from car, stripping, refitting and rebalancing.

http://www.ba-wheels.co.uk/index.html

Too far from Kent to be of much help to Pagey I know, but very happy with quality of work and may be of use to others reading this.

Interesting development, I have been in discussion with the eBay seller mentioned in a previous post and he has offered the following:

He has a set of 4 18" Zeniths which are perfect apart from damage to the face, he can get them refurbished in smoked chrome for me (the process is strip then base primer, black then a silver top coat finally lacquer, this is a standard paint finish - not powder coated) all in including delivery £522. This seems a bit to good to be true imho......

.....although, this is a quote from the email I received:

I only use a company that manufactures wheels and is the only company in the UK to be Jaguar approved for refurbs to warranty standard

He is located in Warwick.

Interesting indeed. I'd get some more details of who's doing the 'furb, as you say.

Bit of a Catch-22 on the deal really, as he's paying to have the wheels done on your behalf effectively. But you need to be sure and really only complete the deal and pay, if you're happy with the finish.

I'd also be personally wary of not having them powder coated - painted and lacquered is not as tough in my opinion.

I wouldn't use anything without a 57.1, but that's just me being picky.

Hate the thought of spiggot rings. Think it's my OCD kicking in again! Just the fact that the wheel doesn't fit the hub properly on its own...

Not a fan of the wheel design either; sorry mate.

I wouldn't use anything without a 57.1, but that's just me being picky.

Hate the thought of spiggot rings. Think it's my OCD kicking in again! Just the fact that the wheel doesn't fit the hub properly on its own...

Not a fan of the wheel design either; sorry mate.

yeah, that was a concern of mine tbh.

It was only a 5 minute photoshop jobbie but I think I have to agree. :thumbdown: