TomTom HD Traffic Facebook campaign

If any of you own a TomTom with LIVE Services and HD Traffic then please spare a moment to visit this thread on Pocket GPS World

http://www.pocketgps...ewtopic&t=87608

and also join the Facebook group here

http://www.facebook....186622728063452

Basically, TomTom have sometime in the last few months made a significant change to the HD Traffic Service which now renders it useless to long distance drivers. The device downloads traffic incidents in approximately a 100-150 mile radius of your current position, then discards all of them apart from ones within 50 miles!!!

So what, you say - 50 miles is far enough surely? Not so!

If you are just coming off of the M6 Toll heading South towards London, your device is not aware of traffic holdups approaching the M25 south of Luton (basically where all the traffic snarl ups are), and you are at a point where you could either head down the M6 and M1 or choose to go down the M42 and M40. On most days, there isn't much difference as long as youa re heading for north or north west London. But, you will get routed down the M1 even if there is a 1 hour delay at the M25 interchange as your device is not aware of this delay for about another 20 or 30 miles as it has discarded the info. So, you are paying for a premium traffic service and it takes you straight in to a huge traffic snarl up!

Prior to the change you would have seen this jam and the device would have offered to reroute you down the M40.

To make it worse, at the time TomTom made this change they announced that they had improved the service, it was more up to date and accurate than before!

In fact, a RDS-TMC receiver with no annual subscription will give you better traffic info!

So, if you have a TomTom with HD Traffic can you please join the Facebook group and support us in protesting to TomTom. They are aware of the facebook group but have not responded adequately yet and we ant to build the number of members over the weekend.

Spread the word on as many forums and facebook pages, twitter etc. as you can please, even if you don't have a TomTom.

All we want is TomTom to acknowledge the issue and fix it - nothing malicious or sinister going on.

Thanks for your support

Thanks

All we want is TT to acknowledge and fix the issue.

They have a long history of burying their head in the sand (sound like VAG on the PD170 injectors issue) and unless some concerted effort is made they ignore individual complaints.

The more the merrier - if you use facebook spread the word to all of your friends as well and ask them to join. Doesn't matter if they don't have a TT - we want a big number and TT may actually sit up and take notice for a change.

Good luck getting TomTom to listen - they are notoriously poor at customer service. I had issues many years ago with the second generation TomTom Go and the shody windscreen mounts that would just break after one or two uses. They never sorted the design and just eventually replaced them with the ugly original Go mounts.

Good luck and I hope you get somewhere with this as it sounds pretty poor.

joined but glad i have a garmin nuvi 1490t free live traffic for life and it works all over Europe for me fantastically!

Thanks for the support. Well over 200 members in 24 hours and the weekend has only just started!

TT have responded and are looking in to the issue now, which is objective No1 achieved.

Keep spreading the word as the more that join the more pressure there is for TT to actually do something.

We have made TT listen before, it is very hard work, but this has gone ballistic compared to 3 years ago when they broke the RDS-TMC in the UK. Back then there wasn't a subscription involved so it was harder to get them to listen. This time it will hit them in the pocket hard if they don't!!!

Been kind of slow today on the new members front, up to about 250 now.

Can anyone who uses facebook please join and ask all their friends to - we need as many people as possible just to get TT to fix this issue. At least they have acknowledged it now!

Thanks

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

300+ members and TomTom have taken notice and have made a slight improvement to the range of the HD Traffic service back to 75 miles (it used to be a 100), so a step in the right direction.

A big win this, as TT are notorious for not listening and acting on customer feedback and complaints.

Thanks to anyone that supported us by joining, please keep spreading the word and asking others to join if they have a TomTom or not.

• 1 month later...

If any of you own a TomTom with LIVE Services and HD Traffic then please spare a moment to visit this thread on Pocket GPS World

http://www.pocketgps...ewtopic&t=87608

and also join the Facebook group here

http://www.facebook....186622728063452

Basically, TomTom have sometime in the last few months made a significant change to the HD Traffic Service which now renders it useless to long distance drivers. The device downloads traffic incidents in approximately a 100-150 mile radius of your current position, then discards all of them apart from ones within 50 miles!!!

So what, you say - 50 miles is far enough surely? Not so!

If you are just coming off of the M6 Toll heading South towards London, your device is not aware of traffic holdups approaching the M25 south of Luton (basically where all the traffic snarl ups are), and you are at a point where you could either head down the M6 and M1 or choose to go down the M42 and M40. On most days, there isn't much difference as long as youa re heading for north or north west London. But, you will get routed down the M1 even if there is a 1 hour delay at the M25 interchange as your device is not aware of this delay for about another 20 or 30 miles as it has discarded the info. So, you are paying for a premium traffic service and it takes you straight in to a huge traffic snarl up!

Prior to the change you would have seen this jam and the device would have offered to reroute you down the M40.

To make it worse, at the time TomTom made this change they announced that they had improved the service, it was more up to date and accurate than before!

In fact, a RDS-TMC receiver with no annual subscription will give you better traffic info!

So, if you have a TomTom with HD Traffic can you please join the Facebook group and support us in protesting to TomTom. They are aware of the facebook group but have not responded adequately yet and we ant to build the number of members over the weekend.

Spread the word on as many forums and facebook pages, twitter etc. as you can please, even if you don't have a TomTom.

All we want is TomTom to acknowledge the issue and fix it - nothing malicious or sinister going on.

Thanks for your support

Hi

I replaced my road angle with a Tomtom 1000 live, for some 9 months or so ago what a mistake

It has never worked correctly since day one the unit is fine it the live services that fail & the customer pays for the privlege of sub standard service the support is useless tomtom promis a lot and fail big time I will not renew or purchase another tomtom it is a waste of space they state you can purchase darth vader voice o no you can't all round waste of time

Hi

I replaced my road angle with a Tomtom 1000 live, for some 9 months or so ago what a mistake

It has never worked correctly since day one the unit is fine it the live services that fail & the customer pays for the privlege of sub standard service the support is useless tomtom promis a lot and fail big time I will not renew or purchase another tomtom it is a waste of space they state you can purchase darth vader voice o no you can't all round waste of time

Not my experience though. I have had a few TomToms over the years, and subscribe to the Live services. It's true that TomTom 'stifled' the HD Traffic by limiting its ability to look well ahead on your journey. But I understand that has been reversed, at least partially.

But in use, I have rarely lost the Live services. When I have, it is because I was in a Vodafone black spot, as TomTom uses a Vodafone sim card to download data.

HD Traffic is simply the best on the market, as every TomTom user contributes towards the situation, as your progress, or lack of it, is sent live to TomTom. If a couple of TomTom Live users hit a jam, within minutes it is on the system. As far as I am aware, no other traffic system does that.

I agree, HD Traffic is miles ahead of any competitor offering. TT have been suffering 'challenges' with HD in the last few weeks, but they seem to be getting resolved. There are issues with connections in certain areas though due to Voda I suspect. I think this is mainly around Cardiff or Swansea.