Petrol Smell

Hi guys,

Ive returned to skoda after a year of having a SEAT, I bought myself a MK1 octavia VRS, which i am having a few problems with.

At Idle you get a petrol smell into the cabin of the car.

Im new to these engine and dont really know much about them.

please help

thanks

• 1 month later...

This is very interesting, I've just replaced my upper and lower breather pipes and now my car STINKS of petrol I would say off-side drivers but to the rear, I opened the lid of my petrol tank to identify and when I removed the twist cap, its that exact smell, but very strong from the front :doh: Any suggestions anything I should particularly be looking out for?

Any suggestions anything I should particularly be looking out for?

Petrol..... but don't check using a naked flame :dull:

Ok, maybe a slightly more helpful answer: I am not that familiar with the petrol engines, but I would trace the fuel lines from when they appear at the front of the car, through the petrol filter (maybe the drain plug is a fraction lose?), and then off to the engine.

My old Nova (yep, I had one of them - infact that was my last petrol car!) started to smell of petrol, it was the rubber fuel hoses leaking fuel. They had a fabric outer which was soaked in petrol. :S I guess the rubber had perished with age. I think a similar thing happened on the GFs 1.9D Felicia, but that was on the return pipework from the injectors.

Petrol..... but don't check using a naked flame :dull:

Ok, maybe a slightly more helpful answer: I am not that familiar with the petrol engines, but I would trace the fuel lines from when they appear at the front of the car, through the petrol filter (maybe the drain plug is a fraction lose?), and then off to the engine.

My old Nova (yep, I had one of them - infact that was my last petrol car!) started to smell of petrol, it was the rubber fuel hoses leaking fuel. They had a fabric outer which was soaked in petrol. :S I guess the rubber had perished with age. I think a similar thing happened on the GFs 1.9D Felicia, but that was on the return pipework from the injectors.

Just so that I don't pull out the wrong line, can you tell me which ones are the fuel lines please, I'll also have a look online - thanks

Just so that I don't pull out the wrong line, can you tell me which ones are the fuel lines please, I'll also have a look online - thanks

I suspect they appear on the drivers side of the engine bay (UK car) - as a pair of lines (supply & return), to which degree they will then pass to the fuel filter (large metal canister) and then off to the engine/under the plastic cover.

However I am sure someone can provide a better details than my guesses :-)

I suspect they appear on the drivers side of the engine bay (UK car) - as a pair of lines (supply & return), to which degree they will then pass to the fuel filter (large metal canister) and then off to the engine/under the plastic cover.

However I am sure someone can provide a better details than my guesses :-)

Cheers - will go and have a look, there's a distinct smell :doh: