VRS...3 weeks and 1000 miles later

Ok, nearly 3 weeks and 1000 miles since I took delivery of my VRS. Love the car to pieces. Best performing thing I've ever owned and I know I got a great car for £15.5k when it should have been £19k. I did a 500 mile round trip this weekend past from Manchester->London-> Surrey->Manchester: what can I say awesome. The amundsen+ is a nice piece of kit. I love being able to copy and paste my itunes onto an SD card and plug & go. The DSG box is great. Either im very lucky or have just gotten used to the "lag" and I barely notice it now when driving. I've had no problems with other motorists mistaking the DRLs for fogs; I think a lot of Joe public are starting to cotton on to DRLs now.

A few observations and minor criticisms though...

- Fuel gauge calibration. I know its been mentioned... but the fact that it stays on full for nearly a 100 miles then dives down is a bit of a nuisance. It makes planning for long journeys difficult because you don't know just how "full" full is.

- Front tires feel like they're scrubbing when turning at slow speed (although im sure they'll wear in).

- Heated seat switches appear to have been wired incorrectly. They're on opposite sides of the stick to the corresponding seats.

- Rubbish stock headlight bulbs - but since replaced with Osram Hyper white 5000k bulbs and now they look mint.

- Oil temperature hits 99 oC pretty quick when on the motorway. Is this normal? It never goes above 99 which is worrying as I feel like its too hot.

- Speedometer. Is it 100% accurate? I know most older cars over-calibrate to display 3 or 4 mph above true speed which becomes apparent when using with a sat nav.

All I can think of for now but all I know it that I wouldn't swap it for anything else on the market :thumbup:

- Fuel gauge calibration. I know its been mentioned... but the fact that it stays on full for nearly a 100 miles then dives down is a bit of a nuisance. It makes planning for long journeys difficult because you don't know just how "full" full is. true, I think it must just be due to the shape of the tank, but you can always stick the computer on "range" :thumbup:

- Front tires feel like they're scrubbing when turning at slow speed (although im sure they'll wear in). hmmm, dunno about that, are they the dunlops? I prefered the conti's, 13k on mine now, and just replaced the fronts, wore perfectly evenly

- Heated seat switches appear to have been wired incorrectly. They're on opposite sides of the stick to the corresponding seats.I don't have heated seats, sounds odd though!

- Rubbish stock headlight bulbs - but since replaced with Osram Hyper white 5000k bulbs and now they look mint. everyone says the stack headlights are crap, I've found them fine :) but glad you are sorted with upgraded bulbs :)

- Oil temperature hits 99 oC pretty quick when on the motorway. Is this normal? It never goes above 99 which is worrying as I feel like its too hot. its not too hot, I've had it 120 ... think about it like this, your oil will be several hundred degrees where its cooling turbo bearings ;)

- Speedometer. Is it 100% accurate? I know most older cars over-calibrate to display 3 or 4 mph above true speed which becomes apparent when using with a sat nav. mine rund about 3-4 mph over according to my GPS, not as wildly over as some cars I've driven :thumbup:

All I can think of for now but all I know it that I wouldn't swap it for anything else on the market :thumbup:

me neither, every extra 1000 miles I have it, I like it more :thumbup:

Glad you're enjoying it. Will keep an eye out round Manchester - haven't seen that many around.

- Fuel gauge calibration. I know its been mentioned... but the fact that it stays on full for nearly a 100 miles then dives down is a bit of a nuisance. It makes planning for long journeys difficult because you don't know just how "full" full is.

You could follow the Octy2 re-calibration steps, if you have VCDS. These should work for the Fabia Mk2. Alternatively, come along to a NW meet in it and I'll take a look. Just not sure if this affects the guage as well as the accuracy of the trip computer? Often, as mentioned, it's related to the shape of the tank.

Have a look anyway, and get some 'real world' figures.

http://briskoda.net/...fuel%20computer