Where's my boost gone? Hang on, it's back...

I just had a strange temporary loss of boost in my '01 VRS that I'm hoping that somebody might be able to diagnose.

After sorting out a dodgy coilpack earlier this week my car has been running sweetly for a few days. However, about an hour ago I started it up from cold and the idle was a bit lumpy, and when I pulled away it was like driving a car with absolutely no boost. I drove for about 3 miles to the local B&Q and there was no boost at all for the whole journey - very odd.

The car sat in the car park for five minutes, and then as soon as I started my drive home I noticed that it was back to normal levels of boost again. However, while the car feels really healthy at anything over, say, 30-percent throttle, on a part throttle I can a feel slight hesitation. It's difficult to describe but it feels like a different kinda hesitation to when the coilpack went for a burton.

So who can tell me why my boost didn't feel like joining me for this little journey? Has it got something against B&Q? ;)

Must have gone into limp mode. You need to get a diagnostic done to find out what code it threw. If it happens again just turn the ignition off & on & it should pull it out of limp.

No, just the one coilpack that had failed. Do you think another one has decided to call it a day then? I'll get it booked into my local dealer so that they can check them all under the official recall.

The car was running OK-ish over the weekend although there is a definite hesitation at around 3000rpm. It coughs and splutters a little and then clears itself by the time it's reached 3500-3750rpm. I've got to get this sorted as it's driving me nuts. I've only had the car for four weeks, and for the last three it has never run sweetly :(

I had exactly the same problem, it was a coilpack on number 4 cylinder. You should log via vag com misfire counter, if counter stars to rise on one or more cylinder your coilpack(s) are dead.

When coilpack starts to die, the engine will sputer around 3000 rpm where the maximum torque is.

No, just the one coilpack that had failed. Do you think another one has decided to call it a day then? I'll get it booked into my local dealer so that they can check them all under the official recall.

The car was running OK-ish over the weekend although there is a definite hesitation at around 3000rpm. It coughs and splutters a little and then clears itself by the time it's reached 3500-3750rpm. I've got to get this sorted as it's driving me nuts. I've only had the car for four weeks, and for the last three it has never run sweetly :(

If its free why the heck not! First port of call I reckon.

If you take it along to the dealer, put the old one back in & keep the new one as a spare as you wont get the old ones back after the swap.

Edited by Liverpool-Lad

I've got the car booked in at the main dealer tomorrow for the recall check - fingers crossed I get a freebie set of coilpacks!

I also noticed last night when rooting around under the bonnet that there are a couple of slight splits in the Y-pipe breather hose so I've ordered a new one from Viper Performance. I'll try the coilpack, breather hose and throttle body clean solutions on different days just to see which one cures the problem.

Thanks for your help guys - I love this forum! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well the very friendly Skoda dealer Adamson's of Deal replaced all my original coilpacks this morning under their 'Dealer Repair Campaign' (apparently they aren't allowed to call it a recall...) and my VRS is now back to full health :thumbup: Obviously I must have had a second coilpack that was on its way out as all the stuttering is now cured, although I've still got a new breather pipe to fit and I'm going to give the throttle body a clean anyway.

The coilpacks took 14 days for the dealer to get into stock so there is obviously a bit of a rush on them at the moment!