tyre pressures

devon sparky

hi everyone. just a quick qeustion we have 225/50/17 goodyear vector all season tyres fitted, standard pressure is 30 psi should they be run at a higher pressure as per a winter tyre or standard pressure. many thanks in anticipation.

pete davey

hi everyone. just a quick qeustion we have 225/50/17 goodyear vector all season tyres fitted, standard pressure is 30 psi should they be run at a higher pressure as per a winter tyre or standard pressure. many thanks in anticipation.

pete davey

I would imagine, and I MAY be wrong, but you use the same tyre pressure as standard tyres. The pressure should be taken when the true is cold, and not forgetting that the air inside will expand with heat from the day and by the action of driving. :yes:

I hope that answers your question.

My thoughts would be run them on summer pressures from April to end of October, then up them to the winter setting for the rest of the time.

Regards,

TP

thanks the plumber. they look and feel a bit soft at the recommended pressure. i know how crucial to handling and wear

the right pressure is but can find nothing on the goodyear web site.

how many psi would you advise to increase in winter?

pete davey

Hi I had my Goodyear all seasons at 2.2 bar as recommended on the fuel cap cover to start with, but the front tyres always looked soft so i have now put them up to 2.3 bar. I am keeping a eye on the wear patten to see if they wear on the shoulders, if they do i will put them up to 2.4 bar. the rears are still at 2.2 and seem about right for general use. boss fox has run his for longer so would be interesting to know the pressure he is running and how they are looking

Hi I had my Goodyear all seasons at 2.2 bar as recommended on the fuel cap cover to start with, but the front tyres always looked soft so i have now put them up to 2.3 bar. I am keeping a eye on the wear patten to see if they wear on the shoulders, if they do i will put them up to 2.4 bar. the rears are still at 2.2 and seem about right for general use. boss fox has run his for longer so would be interesting to know the pressure he is running and how they are looking

thanks wakev mine to look soft at standard pressures.

Skoda state an increase of 0.2bar for winter tyre settings over the standard summer pressures. If you feel the handling is not quite right at the recommended summer pressure than you can try increasing it a little. Even a rise of 0.1bar might make a difference. As you say though there's a fairly fine balance between safe handling, wear and grip.

If you have not seen it there's a guide on all things Tyres & Rims for the Yeti Here

Regards,

TP

Skoda state an increase of 0.2bar for winter tyre settings over the standard summer pressures. If you feel the handling is not quite right at the recommended summer pressure than you can try increasing it a little. Even a rise of 0.1bar might make a difference. As you say though there's a fairly fine balance between safe handling, wear and grip.

If you have not seen it there's a guide on all things Tyres & Rims for the Yeti Here

Regards,

TP

Hi Tim

Not found any problem with handling at 2.2bar but they looked soft, so i put them up .1 bar to see how the perform and the handling is as before so i will live with that for the time being, but i am tempted to go up another .1 bar and see how they perform then. the rears at 2.2bar with no load in the boot are as high as i would like to go any more would start to wear the center of the tyre and would give less grip on the rear end, poss could drop them a little.

can test it more now swmbo cant drive at the moment broken rib

regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

emoticon-0106-crying.gif to hear your good lady is in the wars, wish her the best for a speedy recovery.

Ran the Cube with 2.3 front and 2.9 bar rear (standard factory Conti tyres) on our trip to Europe, both with and without the soft-box and boot full of luggage; no declarable handling difference. Only thing I did notice once we got home was signs that the back wheels had been driven more by the engine than just tagging along at the back as per normal. Sipes were 'picked up' more like what you get at the front :wonder:

Regards,

TP

Hi Kevin,

emoticon-0106-crying.gif to hear your good lady is in the wars, wish her the best for a speedy recovery.

Ran the Cube with 2.3 front and 2.9 bar rear (standard factory Conti tyres) on our trip to Europe, both with and without the soft-box and boot full of luggage; no declarable handling difference. Only thing I did notice once we got home was signs that the back wheels had been driven more by the engine than just tagging along at the back as per normal. Sipes were 'picked up' more like what you get at the front :wonder:

Regards,

TP

Hi Tim thanks for the best wishes.

had a disagreement with a tow ball on a pickup it was parked across foot parth we go round it on the road and she tripped in a pot hole and landed on the tow ball good weekend in a&e

regards

Kevin

I'm running my 225/45 18 'summer tyres' at 2.3bar all round and have my 225/50 17 'winter tyres' set at 2.5bar all round; both pressures 0.1 bar above recommended and they seem fine, nicely taught handling without the ride being overly firm. I tried 0.2 bar above but it started to affect the ride making it too jittery.

Certainly no adverse signs of wear but only used the winters for 2,000 miles and have put 6,500 miles on the summers.

My inclination if you are running 'all season' would be to go higher.

A comment on tyre wear; I too have noticed that the front tyres look 'soft' (not too soft though) but then they would be as they have the same pressures as the rears with less weight over them. Certainly the fronts get worn across the complete width of the tread with the outer shoulders showing signs of more use, but then I do corner briskly. However, the rears have virtually no wear on the outer shoulder at all and looking at them from directly behind there is a noticeable degree of positive camber on them; no doubt a factor as to why a Yeti handles so well. :giggle:;) I aim to swap the tyres front to rear and vice versa to even the wear when I put my summer tyres back on next April.

I trust this is of help.

I'm running my 225/45 18 'summer tyres' at 2.3bar all round and have my 225/50 17 'winter tyres' set at 2.5bar all round; both pressures 0.1 bar above recommended and they seem fine, nicely taught handling without the ride being overly firm. I tried 0.2 bar above but it started to affect the ride making it too jittery.

Certainly no adverse signs of wear but only used the winters for 2,000 miles and have put 6,500 miles on the summers.

My inclination if you are running 'all season' would be to go higher.

A comment on tyre wear; I too have noticed that the front tyres look 'soft' (not too soft though) but then they would be as they have the same pressures as the rears with less weight over them. Certainly the fronts get worn across the complete width of the tread with the outer shoulders showing signs of more use, but then I do corner briskly. However, the rears have virtually no wear on the outer shoulder at all and looking at them from directly behind there is a noticeable degree of positive camber on them; no doubt a factor as to why a Yeti handles so well. :giggle:;) I aim to swap the tyres front to rear and vice versa to even the wear when I put my summer tyres back on next April.

I trust this is of help.

thanks bahnstormer. will put the rears up to 33psi and fronts to 35 psi and monitor the difference.