smoky doom - what's gone wrong?

2006 fabia vrs

When driving at any pace, as soon as the revs hit 2000 and the turbo comes on boost, there is a loud noise of rushing air, like the aircon on full blast and a puff of black smoke on lift off. the black smoke has gotten progressively worse over the past day or 2. the turbo sounds fine, spinning normally. there is only a slight drop in power, but i have been taking it easy. Any ideas? i can't see or feel any holes in the upper intercooler pipe.

i did have the front brake pads and discs and droplinks done 2 weeks ago if that leads to any clues. (mechanic catching something??)

I think a joint in a boost pipe is probably opening under load(pressure). Check the boost pipes, particularly the connections down at the bottom of the engine, like the ones onto the intercooler.

managed to check the upper pipe last night and all seemed well. is there any way to get at the lower one without taking the bumper off?

2006 fabia vrs

When driving at any pace, as soon as the revs hit 2000 and the turbo comes on boost, there is a loud noise of rushing air, like the aircon on full blast and a puff of black smoke on lift off. the black smoke has gotten progressively worse over the past day or 2. the turbo sounds fine, spinning normally. there is only a slight drop in power, but i have been taking it easy. Any ideas? i can't see or feel any holes in the upper intercooler pipe.

i did have the front brake pads and discs and droplinks done 2 weeks ago if that leads to any clues. (mechanic catching something??)

Are you flat down on the throttle before the 2000rpm threshold?

That's how I killed my first DMF, before I learned how to drive

a remapped diesel. I never floor it before the 2000rpm threshold

now in any gear and it's loads less smokey as a result.

Got to give the turbo a chance to spool up before WOT.

Are you flat down on the throttle before the 2000rpm threshold?

That's how I killed my first DMF, before I learned how to drive

a remapped diesel. I never floor it before the 2000rpm threshold

now in any gear and it's loads less smokey as a result.

Got to give the turbo a chance to spool up before WOT.

no flat to the floor, just progressive gentle acceleration. no matter the throttle rate, the noise hits at ~2Krpm.

having been passenger in a car with a terminal turbo (MK3 golf track car with a 1.8T audi lump)i tend totake it canny until everything has warmed up

Changed/cleaned your air filter lately?

Dirty filter can cause excessive smoke.

If not as some others have suggested then the

bottom hose is probably the likely culprit. :thumbup:

Changed/cleaned your air filter lately?

Dirty filter can cause excessive smoke.

If not as some others have suggested then the

bottom hose is probably the likely culprit. :thumbup:

i'd go with the filter but the 'whooshing noise' implies summat more serious.

I'll whip the airbox open tonight and have a looky. if it's the air filter then i am laughing! any advise on a drop-in replacement.

the car is booked in for a service on wednesday so it get fixed then.

I use a k&n but others will say thats a bad choice.

Just to see why not get an oem replacement for around 6-10quid

and see if that helps. :thumbup:

will give it a bash.

liking the wheels by the way, was looking at anthracite for the blackhawk -down look!