Bolero + 32GB SD card

Hi

Apologies if my specific query has been answered before.

Firstly I've got a 2010 VRS so hopefully the Bolero firmware should be OK.

I've got approximately 500 CDs ripped (28GB) that I've copied to an 32GB SD Card. Almost all WMA, a few MP3s

I copied them directly from my Windows PC music folder (so the folder/file structure was Artist - Album - Track(File))

I checked stuff was all there on the card on my PC. When the SD loaded on the Bolero I could only scroll to about the artists beginning with "K"

Think there might be limit to the number of listed items on the screen I then created a new top level of folders named A-Z and split the artist folders that way. On loading this on a different card I could only see folders A-F.

So it seems there is a limit to the number of folders that the Bolero can load? It works fine with a 16GB, but obviously not as many folders. The stuff I can see plays fine by the way.

Any answers to this one?

Edited by juan27

With that amount of music, it could well be related to the issue discussed (at some length) in this thread:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/151637-speeding-up-bolero-sd-possible-solution/

What I'd suggest is that you use DanishViking's really very useful program to convert it into a filing structure that the Bolero will hopefully understand better. Not sure if it will solve your exact problem, as I've never tested it with that amount of music on one card. I use a 16Gb card myself. Here's a post with the direct download link. Worth a try I'd say:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/151637-speeding-up-bolero-sd-possible-solution/page__view__findpost__p__1970690

With that amount of music, it could well be related to the issue discussed (at some length) in this thread:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/151637-speeding-up-bolero-sd-possible-solution/

What I'd suggest is that you use DanishViking's really very useful program to convert it into a filing structure that the Bolero will hopefully understand better. Not sure if it will solve your exact problem, as I've never tested it with that amount of music on one card. I use a 16Gb card myself. Here's a post with the direct download link. Worth a try I'd say:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/151637-speeding-up-bolero-sd-possible-solution/page__view__findpost__p__1970690

Isn't that thread about speed of loading....? Apologies if it goes off topic to address my problem I've only quickly scanned the first three pages.

Edited by juan27

Isn't that thread about speed of loading....? Apologies if it goes off topic to address my problem I've only quickly scanned the first three pages.

Hi

I'll save you time with playlists and other fiddling as I researched this same issue a while back. The unit reads the first 2000 files and that's it. Skoda did it to reduce load times.

You can keep all your files on the 32mb card and just rename the folders for when you fancy a change as it reads them alphabetically. (change the ones you don't want to be accessible to zzzrock or zzzgoombay dance band etc etc).

There is no way round this until Skoda provides a firmware upgrade.

hope this helps,

cheers

Chris.

Hi

I'll save you time with playlists and other fiddling as I researched this same issue a while back. The unit reads the first 2000 files and that's it. Skoda did it to reduce load times.

You can keep all your files on the 32mb card and just rename the folders for when you fancy a change as it reads them alphabetically. (change the ones you don't want to be accessible to zzzrock or zzzgoombay dance band etc etc).

There is no way round this until Skoda provides a firmware upgrade.

hope this helps,

cheers

Chris.

That's a bit disappointing as my plan was to have my whole music collection on one SD card available in the car for long journeys and holidays.

I guess I'll just have to have two or three cards, but its extremely frustrating that the Bolero can't handle the amount of data that's no problem for a £100 MP3 player these days.

Many thanks for the response but how did you confirm this info, is this from SUK?

There was quite a lengthy thread a few months ago, Skoda confirmed that on the newer Bolero's there is a limit to the number of tracks, approx 2000.

Older Bolero's don't have this limit, but will take a while to index 2000 files, even on the newer firmware.

There was quite a lengthy thread a few months ago, Skoda confirmed that on the newer Bolero's there is a limit to the number of tracks, approx 2000.

Older Bolero's don't have this limit, but will take a while to index 2000 files, even on the newer firmware.

Is this information worthy of a sticky? It might save new owners from an apparently unreasonable expectation and wasted hours ripping and copying files, not to mention the pointless expense of buying 32Gb SD cards over the smaller ones that the Bolero can actually manage.

Its probably more important now as 32GB cards are now widely available and cheaper than a couple of years ago.

I'm sure I read the relevant sections of the Bolero manual and their was no mention of this.

I may well have even specified the Ipod interface when I ordered the car if I'd known.

Thanks again guys for the info, don't want to sound as though I'm shooting the messengers.

So after a bit more searching on here if I got a MDI interface retrofitted I can stick a USB external hard drive in the glove box and achieve what I want? (500+ CDs worth of music available in the car selectable from the Bolero screen with artist/track info)

Am I correct that the MDI unit sits in the glovebox, and leaves sufficient room for the car "books" and a compact 2.5" external disk drive? There won't be a need for wires trailing all over my interior?

Not happy with the SD card limitation thing but sounds like that's a (expensive) plan.

Edited by juan27

Yes, that's what you'd end up with on the MDI retrofit.

Does depend how much other stuff you have in your glovebox though of course! But the MDI interface box isn't that big, and then of course a 2.5" external HDD is pretty small.

MDI option new I was made to regreat in here due to the SD slot but it turns out to have been £131.91 well spent :D it is fantastic but SHOULD come with a set of cables IMO for that cost!

MDI option new I was made to regreat in here due to the SD slot but it turns out to have been £131.91 well spent :D it is fantastic but SHOULD come with a set of cables IMO for that cost!

Yep if I'd known then what I know now.....

Yes, that's what you'd end up with on the MDI retrofit.

Does depend how much other stuff you have in your glovebox though of course! But the MDI interface box isn't that big, and then of course a 2.5" external HDD is pretty small.

Found a 160GB 1.8" external drive for £50. Its tiny. I'm leaning towards installing in the "ashtray" storage at the moment.

Found a 160GB 1.8" external drive for £50. Its tiny. I'm leaning towards installing in the "ashtray" storage at the moment.

Hi Juan27 

I've been through this and see the thread here http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/195735-bolero-sd-card-problem/

I agree this should be edited and made a sticky.

Anyway I now have the MDI option retro fitted and it is great. Its exactly what i expected the SD Card to be.

Good luck

DK

MDI is certainly the better option than SD. I too have a USB HDD in the glove box (Freecom 250GB, 2.5", <£50).

SD still has its place through for those new tunes you've just downloaded but haven't got round to re-syncing your hard disk, or someone goes "Have your heard this..."

But as always down to personal preference and how much music you want in the car.

However, others have used Bluetooth (retrofit or build option) and used their portable device as their music store.

MDI is certainly the better option than SD. I too have a USB HDD in the glove box (Freecom 250GB, 2.5", <£50).

SD still has its place through for those new tunes you've just downloaded but haven't got round to re-syncing your hard disk, or someone goes "Have your heard this..."

But as always down to personal preference and how much music you want in the car.

However, others have used Bluetooth (retrofit or build option) and used their portable device as their music store.

Lets face it being able to carry ~200 CDs worth on one SD is pretty good, but I just wish the limitations were made clear. I certainly would have had factory MDI if that had been the case.

I'm really pleased that MDI will do what I need though and it does get over the nagging worry I had that my music collection will inevitably exceed the capacity of an SD card!

Here's my 1.8" drive: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0026LK2LI/ref=oss_product

I know you can get 500GB in 2.5" for the same money, but I can't foresee needing that kind of capacity (famous last words) and keeping the drive as (physically) small as possible appeals.

I suppose you could use a thumb drive >32GB on MDI too, but that's expensive compared to the HDD route.

Edited by juan27

Lets face it being able to carry ~200 CDs worth on one SD is pretty good, but I just wish the limitations were made clear. I certainly would have had factory MDI if that had been the case.

I'm really pleased that MDI will do what I need though and it does get over the nagging worry I had that my music collection will inevitably exceed the capacity of an SD card!

Here's my 1.8" drive: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0026LK2LI/ref=oss_product

I know you can get 500GB in 2.5" for the same money, but I can't foresee needing that kind of capacity (famous last words) and keeping the drive as (physically) small as possible appeals.

I suppose you could use a thumb drive >32GB on MDI too, but that's expensive compared to the HDD route.

Drive looks good, very small and the important line in the specs:

data connection: 5 V, 500 mA max

since I think the MDI will only supply up to about 1A

As you say 160GB should be plenty, I only used about 35GB of mine and the lower capacity drive will probably be more resilient to bumps etc anyway.

Got all the bits now so assuming the MDI box fits behind the "ashtray" storage below the aircon controls it should be plain sailing....

Edited by juan27