Towbar Prep or not!

g6zru

Mine doesn't ... they get salted away at the back of the garage then go back into the boot of the car come trade in time. My dealer is keen for this to happen too.

yes but in reality how many customers would want a piece of box section slung in the back of their used yeti when they come to collect it from the dealer.

I may be wrong but IMHO 'Stuff that mate' would be the most polite reply.

:giggle:

yes but in reality how many customers would want a piece of box section slung in the back of their used yeti when they come to collect it from the dealer.

I may be wrong but IMHO 'Stuff that mate' would be the most polite reply.

:giggle:

It takes up very little space in the back of my garage so no skin of my nose ... the dealer likes them back as they can put it back on if the purchaser of my trade in does not want a the towbar left on.

• 1 month later...

One thing I dont understand is the software update.

Why not have it pre loaded with the tow prep. As far as I'm aware it makes no differance at all to the vehicle without a trailer attached.

Happy Days.

When the towbar is fitted an ecu is also fitted, this is what is then coded to the car. This cannot be precoded if its not fitted, which is not part of the towbar prep which has been ordered from the factory...,

When the towbar is fitted an ecu is also fitted, this is what is then coded to the car. This cannot be precoded if its not fitted, which is not part of the towbar prep which has been ordered from the factory...,

I'm not sure that is totally correct/

For example, as far as I can tell the towing ECU doesn't cover the modification to the stability control system, alarm circuits, nor the bulb failure system.

One thing I dont understand is the software update.

Why not have it pre loaded with the tow prep. As far as I'm aware it makes no differance at all to the vehicle without a trailer attached.

Happy Days.

You appear to be making a basic error here. :giggle:

Your statement presumes that someone at Skoda applied LOGICAL thinking when deciding about towbar prep. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to get a definitive answer to the question "What is included in towbar prep?" for the last two years.

Nobody at either Skoda UK or Skoda CZ has been able to give me an answer that makes any sense.

I suspect that they (Skoda) only realised after the software was finalised that the possibility of the vehicle being used for towing had been overlooked and so "amended" the software to correct this anomaly. The original author of the software must then have been made redundant and taken all his notes with him!.

Fred

Fred.

Most modern vehicles need to be reprogrammed when a tow bar is fitted, not just Skoda, and funnily enough a lot of them also report "problems", so you can't just blame Skoda. It is the very nature of the modern computerised vehicle

And there are enough of us here who can confirm exactly what it it includes because we've had it fitted or done.

Does the wiring harness need to go to the front of the vehicle if I already have "tow prep"? Or does the dedicated harness just plug in behind a panel in the trunk/boot?

I pick up my Yeti on 16 Jan and I have ordered my tow bar and dedicated harness fro PF Jones in the UK (I'm in Australia). I plan to fit it myself. I am reasonably hand at this stuff and I'm not worried at all about the fitting. It will just take longer if the harness needs to run all the way to the front of the vehicle.

Happy days.

Which harness? There are two:

1/ The basic harness that covers the trailer lighting wiring. This is the harness that is fitted if you order the basic kit.

2/ The battery charge/fridge operation additional harness. It appears that you may need to fit this from the fuse board back yourself, however some have said it has been fitted at the factory. In Europe this is rarely fitted.

Which harness? There are two:

1/ The basic harness that covers the trailer lighting wiring. This is the harness that is fitted if you order the basic kit.

2/ The battery charge/fridge operation additional harness. It appears that you may need to fit this from the fuse board back yourself, however some have said it has been fitted at the factory. In Europe this is rarely fitted.

The single electric, basic 7 pin kit.

Happy Days.

I had towbar prep from the factory which only gives a single electrics option for just a trailer-- which was all I wanted.

To complete a 7 pin installation there is a cable which you have to buy additionally to complete the job.

This cable has a control unit which is attached to the contact block inside the rear left boot trim panel. You then have to get the dealer or someone with a VCDS cable to adjust the settings on the canbus system. This activates the trailer lights and changes brake, reversing sensors settings, amongst others

The factory supplies the hatch in the lower bumper area already cut out and the removable hatch installed. I believe they also give you a twin fan on the cooling system to cope with the increased loads.

To fit a cable for a caravan necessitates the of dismantling of trim down the full length of the cabin to access the fusebox by the drivers door

I did the first described job myself and the easy bit was installing the tow bar [westfalia]--the electrics was a bit of a faff re dismantling all the trim etc. Beware the rear airbag--you need to take precautions!

I got my canbus recoded at a main dealer--they charged it out at 1/2 hour--but it took them 2 hours to do it!

Hope this is of some help

Edited by yetiscot

Beware the rear airbag--you need to take precautions!

I got my canbus recoded at a main dealer--they charged it out at 1/2 hour--but it took them 2 hours to do it!

That's fantastic. Thanks for the reply.

Do I need to go near the rear airbag for just the single. 7 pin electronics?

Happy Days

That's fantastic. Thanks for the reply.

Do I need to go near the rear airbag for just the single. 7 pin electronics?

Happy Days

Yes--if you have a search round the site there are some diagrams showing how to dismantle the trim-- to obviate the possibility of you triggering the air-bag you need to disconnect the battery and wait 20 minutes-- I assume there is some capacitance in the circuits which needs time to dissipate

If you get stuck and cant find them --let me know I have them saved somewhere

Yes--if you have a search round the site there are some diagrams showing how to dismantle the trim-- to obviate the possibility of you triggering the air-bag you need to disconnect the battery and wait 20 minutes-- I assume there is some capacitance in the circuits which needs time to dissipate

If you get stuck and cant find them --let me know I have them saved somewhere

Cool thanks agian.

I have found a PDF of the trim dismantling but they aren't real clear. Maybe it will be more obvious with the vehicle infront of me.

Happy Days.