Looking to move up to an Octy

Hi all :)

I've currently got a Felicia Fun Pickup and am looking to move up to an Octavia. I'm after some advice in my searching, and I thought y'all might be able to help. ;)

I'm after a diesel, preferably with cruise control. I've seen some floating around on EPray with some very nice names (Ambiente and Elegance) but they really don't tell me much about the spec. Looking to spend no more than £4k, have seen some nice ones (02-04 plates) about £2-3K.

Which way did the specs run?

Which is the best diesel to look for? (Mainly for motorway driving and thumping 400 miles to Scotland every now and again)

Other than the obvious loading abilities, are there any major differences between the hatch and the estate?

What are the weeknesses of the Octavias? (Don't be vain, if there's rust spots, I'd like to know where they are)

What's the best spec/options to look for?

What's Maxidot?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance guys!

To give you an example. Within the past few weeks we bought a 2004 (53plate) PD130 Elegence Hatch, with 97K miles on it in v good condition for the year/mileage with full main dealer service history for £2.7K

Regards spec.... try this link;

http://www.parkers.c....aspx?model=822

Regards with engine.... the 110 VE or the 130 PD are both good strong engines. The PD only came out very late in the Mk1 octy's life time and for the £4K you should be able to get a good one. The 110 is more frugal than the PD, but the PD is a better drive.

Ambiente (lowest trim)

Elegance

L&K (top trim)

The 110TDI is probably the most economical, although the 130PD 6speed (L&K) might be better on the motorway. I can average 64mpg on a drive between Weymouth and Farnborough in my 110TDI.

Maxidot is a type of dashboard (think maxtrix style)

Weeknesses..... water ingress onto the drivers door can cause problems with central locking/electric windows/etc. Well covered on here, have a search for water ingress.

Cruise can be added as a retro fit for the price of a new stalk, a bit of loom and someone with the full version of VAGCOM to enable it.

My old girl (2001) is on 187k, and has pretty much only has service items, plus both track rod ends, a few vacuum related pipes/valves changed, and a sticky turbo (caused by earlier vacuum problems). It had a new clutch when I bought it at 70ish K miles. Still on original exhaust though :-)

Rust rise they are pretty good, unless the paintwork is damaged. Early estates had an issue with the tailgate glass rubbing and causing rust. A lot of us had a warranty call to get this fixed.

I just bought a 03 110 tdi elegance for 2.6k with about 95k miles on the clock. I would avoid teh ambiente or classic interiors, i saw a few whilst looking and thought they were really horrible. Elegance is quite nice, L+K is lovely but pricey!

Cruise can be added as a retro fit for the price of a new stalk, a bit of loom and someone with the full version of VAGCOM to enable it.

I've read about the multi-function steering wheel (I assume that would need a different loom?) Is that worth doing, or just look at getting 'the stalk' and loom?

Cheers

I think it is unlikely that you'll find one with cruise already fitted to be honest.

Maxi dot and multi function steering wheel are potentially a lot of faff to retrofit, you need to replace the instrument cluster for maxidot and the immobiliser is in the cluster.

Classic is the lowest spec - then the ambiente. As you will see from my sig I have an ambiente spec 1.6. I don't have any complaints about the trim level at all, 4 electric windows, air con, electric heated mirrors etc. There are good specs for any car if you choose a car on Autotrader in the adverts, and then select the specification tabs above the advert.

Think the Octy's are generally very strong.

We have a 1.9tdi 90bhp which sits all day at 70mph at very good mpg. if you click on my sig. mpg for the Ambiente it will show you all the mpg's since we have had it.

For you money you should be able to find a nice Ambiente SE which had a few nice options inc Cruse and small leather pack and MFSW.

On a different note (op) was it you driving up Frindsbury Hill tonight about 8,30?

On a different note (op) was it you driving up Frindsbury Hill tonight about 8,30?

Ah no. Lil' Yellow was tucked up on the driveway long before then. She is now sporting a 1-off stainless rollover bar, steel wheels on the front and silver wing mirrors (recent upgrade to electric ones ;) ) so she is quite distinctive at the moment.

I have seen an S-reg a couple of times locally though.

Noo! You can't get rid of the monster! :'(

Yeah, it'll probably happen early next year. Things have changed a bit, and whilst she's still in fairly good condition, I don't want to keep running the milage up. I've put 28k on her since last May bank holiday ('10). Need to change the wing mirror covers back, fix the rear bumper and put the yellow wheels back on (with new tyres), sort a rear heater and give her a really good clean.

So she'll be around for a couple more months, but I don't see her copeing with running to Scotland and back that well. An Octy seems a better way to do that journey. I've enjoyed the Fun enough to want a Skoda next, so there's no real grey clouds ;-)

All good things.....

Edited by RainbowFore

• 2 weeks later...

Okie Dokie,

Think I've found an '03 L&K 110 Hatch. Less than 100k on the clock. :)

Did these things need belt changes etc? If so when?

Is there anything in particular to look for? (Other than usualy wear and tear and the driver's window seal)

Am taking Miss Nit-Picker with me, although she prefers those funny two-wheeled noisey things, so she'll be looking at the interior stuff and I'll be looking at the oily bits and the toys (making sure they all work as expected). If I was being overly wary, I suppose VCDS/VAGCOM would be useful to take.....does the free version show any error codes?

Am probably not going to be able to give it anything more than a quick blast round town as where it is is a long way from any decent dual-carridgeways. :(

Suspect it should cope with 3 kids, 2 dogs and Scotland-Kent and back without hassle and in relative comfort (bearing in mind the current daily is The Fun Pickup)

All being well this should be wrapped up in 10 days (car is nowhere near where I am sadly and the timing is such that 10 days is the earliest)

Thanks for all your help guys :)

Make sure you rev it over 3k to check it doesn't go into limp mode - the sticky turbo vanes problem, could be an issue if the car has been driven gently or sat around for a while.

Free version of VCDS will check for fault codes, though it won't do an auto scan.

Check the sunroof works OK as well as all the electrical bits. If it's an L&K it should have xenons and a leather interior.

Cam belt needs doing every 4 years / 60k miles, so should be due one.

Make sure you rev it over 3k to check it doesn't go into limp mode - the sticky turbo vanes problem, could be an issue if the car has been driven gently or sat around for a while.

Free version of VCDS will check for fault codes, though it won't do an auto scan.

Check the sunroof works OK as well as all the electrical bits. If it's an L&K it should have xenons and a leather interior.

Cam belt needs doing every 4 years / 60k miles, so should be due one.

Cheers.

How do I tell if it hits limp mode? Should the sunroof be the VW dial-up type? (Had that on a '51 Golf - decided to stay open one day, just as it started to rain, when it had stopped raining, the bloody thing closed!!!)

I'll stick the cam-belt on the list, and probably get it changed when I get it home any way.

It's in Scotland, I'm in Kent so it'll have a good run back to shake out any faults. (Not going to Scotland specifically to get the car, just happens to be where I'm going)

Have downloaded VCDS lite and ordered a cable. Whereabouts is the diag port on the Octy?

Thanks.

Port is below the steering wheel. :)

110VE engines are solid, but as mentioned, the turbos are prone if not worked hard. Mine died at 120k miles (it might not have been standard, though :giggle: ) but otherwise they're solid engines. Mine is an L&K trim and if you can get one (chances are it'll be the less pleasant tan leather interior; the black ones are like hens teeth) they are lovely cars with a fantastic spec.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Port is below the steering wheel. :)

110VE engines are solid, but as mentioned, the turbos are prone if not worked hard. Mine died at 120k miles (it might not have been standard, though :giggle: ) but otherwise they're solid engines. Mine is an L&K trim and if you can get one (chances are it'll be the less pleasant tan leather interior; the black ones are like hens teeth) they are lovely cars with a fantastic spec.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Yeah it's the tan interior. Personally I'm not worried, as long as I can park my butt on it and it's relativey comfortable. Hopefully not going to spend time gazing at the seats :rofl: Looks like it's got Xenon/HID on it etc. Might have found a black interior anyway, so that'll be next ;)

If I get it, it'll be used daily (90mileround trip to work) so things will get used and nice & warm. The turbo will get some usage I'm sure. :giggle:

I just have to wait until next saturday now :D

Once the cable turns up for VCDS Lite, I'm going to plug it into The Fun, just so it looks like I know what I'm doing when I turn up ;) I assume turbo issues / limp mode would show up in VCDS.

• 3 weeks later...