4x4 steering rack seal gone, options?

boomsly

as the title says really , the seals in my 4x4 steering rack have gone, what are my options to replace the rack to get this sorted, i understand i could fit a tt rack but will loose esp.

im looking for the cheapest solution available atm as money is tight.

opinions welcome!

cheers

like for like rack then i would have though, a mate of mine will have one for sale shortly i think, can pm him for you.

breakers otherwise or 247 parts breakers online

I'd stick with the OEM rack

The TT rack does screw up ESP, and as yet no one has found how to fix this.

Its something that has come up on uk-mkivs.net a few times over the years.

The consensus of opinion seems to be, that to get the TT rack to work on ESP equipped cars would require the complete transplant of the ABS system from a TT/S3 donor. As yet one seems to have actually tried though - not surprising given the amount of work required.

yeah oet that will be ace, is that a 4x4 rack then ?

any idea on the condition of it?

cheers big help :thumbup:

yes its fully working, it was only taken off to fit my quickrack,

will check with him to see if its fully working, its not a 4x4 rack, but having seen a few i cant see much difference tbh

• 4 weeks later...

Have you thought about having your rack reconditioned? It sounds like it only needs seals?

I've got 2 racks, one a 1999 Golf V5 10V and a 2001 Seat Toledo V5 20V

this happend to my octavia fluid was raining out of the car and i put the wrong fluid in i put red coloured stuff instead od green hydraraulic fluid but fortunetly never dameged the pump

Probably did less damage than letting it run dry.

Sorry to hear about the rack. I had my one replaced at a pretty wallet busting cost then it went again 13 moths later! Luckily Skoda offer 2 year warranty on racks so it was swapped FOC.

Probably did less damage than letting it run dry.

Sorry to hear about the rack. I had my one replaced at a pretty wallet busting cost then it went again 13 moths later! Luckily Skoda offer 2 year warranty on racks so it was swapped FOC.

the problem was it didnt run dry, it just popped one day and then that was it all fluid squirting out :(

i have seen a vrs rack cheap so i hope its a good replacement

the problem was it didnt run dry, it just popped one day and then that was it all fluid squirting out :(

i have seen a vrs rack cheap so i hope its a good replacement

I was just in response to racing boy that given the choice of non OEM fluid or none at all I think he made the right call putting whatever he could in.

I was in the same boat when the Skoda dealer wouldn't sell me a bottle of power steering fluid as it was 10 minutes after closing. Fair enough I guess but when I was in retail I'd have helped the customer out. Anyway I went to Halfords and bought a bottle of generic stuff and haven't had a problem with the pump so far.

My one was the same when it went. Turned full lock and heard a slight noise. Got home checked the PSF level which was off the dip stick and then spotted the leak :(

Second time it went in even more spectacular fashion with max to off the dip stick in less than 9 miles :o

Edited by lordrobs