New Owner Of An Octavia Startled By MPG

Lofty79

Hi all, new to the forum and to skoda for that matter. I have an 03 octavia, 1.9 tdi ALH with 147k on clock. I followed some previously outlined advice on things to do to improve this engine and stripped and cleaned EGR and inlet manifould with amazing results! Also disconnected vacuum from egr and plugged the pipe.

I thought i would do a run with economy in mind and as soon as the fuel light came on went to nearest filling station and put in £20 of diesel, went on country roads averaged 35mph mostly doing 40-45. The came on again after 232 miles. I put in 14.4 litres which is 3.2 gallons putting my average mpg at 72.5.

I was led to believe that these numbers were pretty unattainable especially in a car so big/heavy. Makes my 1.4 hdi eurotech eco box look like a heap of crap!!! Anyone else get these kind of miles, or is my car not running right? :wonder:

At an average of 35mph i would say that is a low mpg if done by the computer. On my computer it says i get 80 if i cruise around at 30mph without too many stop starts.

Ive not calculated REAL figures though so might be out !

yeah my computer reads 84.5mpg which is quite far out. real figures of 72.5 really took me by surprise! but yes the computer is quite far out on mine anyway. If you do find you get over 80 real terms you should run for the hyper milers challenge currently held by a citroen nemo 82.3 mpg over 300 miles.

Have you done egr disconnect aswell?

Edited by Lofty79