How responsive is your thermostat on a COLD day?

fsa

Ever since I got the car in May, the thermostat would hit perpendicular within 3 miles. This morning, however, it reached the first hash after 5 miles and took 12 miles in total to reach perpendicular. Obviously this is appalling, but before I start spending, I was wondering if it could be because of how cold it was this morning? Ambient temp was 6-8 degrees according to the on board display.

I gave the thermostat a good clean two weeks ago when I did the MAP and tb....housing seemed intact and the thermostat probe looked fine. If it's time for a new one, has anyone tried one of those 'new version' ones being sold on the bay for £15?

When you cleaned it you may aswell just have replaced it !

Depending on how you drive it and outside temp can make a difference on how quickly it heats up, also if you have the heat on full with fans on it will make a difference too.

Heat on full with fans on should make it heat up faster? Or the heat circulation fan lying in front of the radiator will make it cooler?

Genuine part from dealer or eurocarparts? Any recommendations?

Edited by fsa

Heat on full with fans on should make it heat up faster?

Logically no, as you're actually removing heat from the coolant by forcing heat transfer from the heater matrix to the cabin. Not adding it.

But the difference would be small.

• Like 1

Heat on full with fans on should make it heat up faster? Or the heat circulation fan lying in front of the radiator will make it cooler?

Genuine part from dealer or eurocarparts? Any recommendations?

Don't even risk non-genuine for something that if breaks can potentially make the engine a dead duck. Just not worth the risk for at most, 20 quid.

Don't even risk non-genuine for something that if breaks can potentially make the engine a dead duck. Just not worth the risk for at most, 20 quid.

Bit of a moot point really when the genuine ones for the MPI are guaranteed to break anyway. It seems the thermostat plastic goes brittle in the heat and eventually breaks under the spring tension.

Do you recommend I do a coolant flush when I fit the new thermostat/temp sender housing? The coolant appears clean, no mayo or oil deposits.......

If so, I'll need to arrange some sort of garden hose to be able to follow the guide on here...

Skoda Fabia 1.4 Mpi 8 Valve Thermostat:

CLICK HERE

We buy these from our supplier in Czech Republic, where alot of the dealers use them. We also sell these to alot of garages and motor factors throughout the UK.

This modified version does away with the plastic type secured thermostat and is replaced with a circlip secured thermostat. No plastic arms to break anymore!!!

Edited by Jorily

Happy to report that the new thermostat housing + sensor is in, thanks to anewman's guide. I found it easier to remove the sump guard and use the official radiator tap instead of yanking off that bottom vacuum tubing...made for a neater procedure given nosey neighbours being about. Not having a hose at my disposal, Chris Coates' suggestion of using dishwasher cleaner worked pretty well...left the engine idling for 10 minutes with heaters on. I expected a lot more gunk to come out; solution drained was greyish. Picked up 5l of red coolant from Partco for £13, as opposed to the £20 being charged by Halfords.

On a 20 mile trip (after letting the engine get stone cold)...gauge hit perpendicular in 2 minutes and less than a mile. Averaged 35 mpg whilst driving briskly. Presumably this improvement in mpg was because the engine heated up much more quickly and the fuel mixture being sent was less rich as a result. In what way would the new charcoal canister play a part in improving fuel economy? I thought it was only to do with leaving cleaner exhaust in my tail?

No VAG error codes after that trip....off to London tomorrow for work so will see what happens after that 120 miles.

Needless-to-say, infinite thanks to everyone here who made all this less daunting!