One problem solved and another created

jeep

I got Skoda assistance out to check the mysterious rattle, the mechanic said it sounded like a trapped stone, and the only way to get rid of a stubborn one was to remove the brake caliper, which he did finding the culprit stone on the nearside front after checking two other wheels. End of story you might think. Unfortunately he managed to cross thread the caliper retaining bolts and was unable to tighten the bolts. The very embarrassed mechanic has now arranged a courtesy car and for my dealer to collect mine, as it now can't be driven. This will all be done at no cost to me.

Ah did he cross thread it? I ask because I too offered to change the brake pads on a Seat Ibiza that belongs to my sons mate, I removed the slider bolt the caliper sits on and put new pads in, when I tried to replace the slide bolt into the caliper mount the thread wouldn't start, on closer inspection the thread was damaged with a lump about three threads up the bolt.

I spoke to Seat and they said it would be about £200 to buy new bolts and the casting and wheel bearing etc. I decided to speak to a few independants, they all stated that this was a common fault where the thread gets damaged during assembly by the manufacturer!

A 9.25mm helicoil and a steady hand with the drill and then tap I had it repaired for £10!

With this in mind I feel sorry for the Skoda assist man as it may not have been his fault if other VAG cars have known issues with the same thing.

Hope they sort yours out soon.

Ah did he cross thread it? I ask because I too offered to change the brake pads on a Seat Ibiza that belongs to my sons mate, I removed the slider bolt the caliper sits on and put new pads in, when I tried to replace the slide bolt into the caliper mount the thread wouldn't start, on closer inspection the thread was damaged with a lump about three threads up the bolt.

I spoke to Seat and they said it would be about £200 to buy new bolts and the casting and wheel bearing etc. I decided to speak to a few independants, they all stated that this was a common fault where the thread gets damaged during assembly by the manufacturer!

A 9.25mm helicoil and a steady hand with the drill and then tap I had it repaired for £10!

With this in mind I feel sorry for the Skoda assist man as it may not have been his fault if other VAG cars have known issues with the same thing.

Hope they sort yours out soon.

Yes I hope they sort it out, I think the mechanic rather rushed it having removed and replaced two other callipers in the search and did not check the alignment before trying to tighten, I even lent him some taps and dies, but it could not be sorted. I just hope this is not the beginning of a saga, I will make sure my dealer agrees the condition of the car when they take it away, as I don't really trust garages, and have had cars damaged while being serviced before and the resulting arguments.

Edited by jeep

I don't believe it as Victor would say, and with just cause, Skoda assistance have just sent the wrong recovery vehicle for a 4x4, The driver said the control centre was useless!

And my dealer is now waiting clearance to order parts and go ahead with the repair, I'm getting really annoyed, Skoda Assistance have admitted liability, so they had not better f*** me around with their inefficiency, couldn't even send the right recovery vehicle the first time for a 4x4. Did not even liaise with my dealer, who did not know anything about it until I phoned them, even though they were taking the car to them. I think it's time to start seeking compensation.

Edited by jeep

I strongly underline what jeep said.

This is why I have no doubt in choosing the kind of service: extended, even with low miles/year.

The less you visit garages the less probability of induced failures you have (I do not want to say that maintenance personnel is not capable: my idea is that each action -when not strictly needed- may have a drawback, as the Murphy's Law states...)

Yes I hope they sort it out, I think the mechanic rather rushed it having removed and replaced two other callipers in the search and did not check the alignment before trying to tighten, I even lent him some taps and dies, but it could not be sorted. I just hope this is not the beginning of a saga, I will make sure my dealer agrees the condition of the car when they take it away, as I don't really trust garages, and have had cars damaged while being serviced before and the resulting arguments.

Edited by Ratz

Skoda Customer Service just phoned to say that the RAC have now officially agreed to pay the repair bill, so parts can be ordered and hopefully the repair done on Monday. I can't wait to get it back, The brand new hire car I was given, a highly specced Ford Focus TD Sport, has just reinforced what a great car the Yeti is to drive. I was really surprised how noisy and unrefined the Ford seems in comparison.

Happy to say got the car back from Palmers Skoda today. The repair needed new bolts, casting, and wheel bearing, as removing the old hub casting damages the wheel bearing, so it has to be replaced, so with parts and labour and a weeks car hire it has cost the RAC a fair bit for a few careless moments. I was told there was a very small chance of a stone getting into the caliper, but I found a pretty hard one, pity it wasn't a diamond, but it is nicely polished.

Happy to say got the car back from Palmers Skoda today. The repair needed new bolts, casting, and wheel bearing, as removing the old hub casting damages the wheel bearing, so it has to be replaced, so with parts and labour and a weeks car hire it has cost the RAC a fair bit for a few careless moments. I was told there was a very small chance of a stone getting into the caliper, but I found a pretty hard one, pity it wasn't a diamond, but it is nicely polished.

Glad to hear all back to normal now and normal service i.e. play can be resumed emoticon-0136-giggle.gif