Thinking of an Octavian vRS

As title suggests I am thinking of buying a diesel vRS Octavia estate around 3 years old.

Are there any known issues or problems I should specifically look out for when viewing potential cars.

Also is it relatively easy to retrofit the factory satnav, and one last thing was a multiple function steering wheel ever an option as I have seen a lot of photos on autotrader etc and none appear to have this.

Many thanks

Check DPF (Diesel Particulate Fiter), check service book (should have FSH), take VIN number and give Skoda UK a call and check history. Check normal things such as boot floor etc for signs of a prang. No real design faults on these to be honest. Like any car there are "issues" but most are just niggles and relativly easy to fix.

Check if engine is PD or CR. The latter Common Rail are a much more desirable engine - smoother power delivery and "current tech" but that said, the PD is a good engine and still in use in other vehicles in the VW group range.

Factory Nav is a doddle to fit - just make sure you get the right revision for your vehicle - do a search on here for "Columbus" - loads of info. You can also retrofit BT phone kit and MDI interface for iPod.

Multi function wheel was only available on Auto - never an option on Manual however Shark Performance (member on here) can retrofit a MK5 Golf or MK6 Scirocco / Golf MF wheel (and also tune and provide other enhancements :-). Wheels are available on ebay for around £250.

Good luck with the purchase - I doubt very much you'll be disappointed with a 3yr old car.

If you do buy one, consider supporting Briskoda by paying to join the group. :thumbup:

You should be aware that the fuel smells funny and if you do still go for a diesel you will be constantly ribbed by others who feel that the petrol one is better . . . go for it, it's a lovely car.

Thanks for the replies with regard to the PD or CR engine around what time did this change were there any other changes that are easy to spot that would give away which engine is fitted i.e different lights or similar.

Thanks again

The CR came in on a 58 plate. Mine was one of the early ones however a few PDs came through on a 58 too so it's not a definitive rule. Easiest way to tell is to start them up; if it sounds like a tractor then it's a PD but if it sounds more petrol like then it's a CR.

The other way to tell is when you drive it.

1- PD - you will get a shove in the back once the turbo kicks in around 2200 rpm, provided you are pressing frimly on the GO pedal.

2- PD - has a distinctive growlly engins at 3k+ revs

3- CR - Very smooth delivery and quiet engine.

P.S. make sure it has had cambelt / pump change if you go for a 50K+ milage car.

As title suggests I am thinking of buying a diesel vRS Octavia estate around 3 years old.

Are there any known issues or problems I should specifically look out for when viewing potential cars.

Also is it relatively easy to retrofit the factory satnav, and one last thing was a multiple function steering wheel ever an option as I have seen a lot of photos on autotrader etc and none appear to have this.

Many thanks

Just bought a 59 plate Diesel VRS Octavia Est DSG in Race Blue with the full leather trim, hope you will be as pleased as I am when you get one, people keep commenting on the colour though.